FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Bangkok brunch and breakfast recommendations [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:51 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I remember having a great Thanksgiving dinner at the Hilton one year, right on the river. Also, at the Peninsula and Royal Orchid, over the years.

The Sukhumvit Sofitel's was very disappointing, although their a la carte menu was fantastic.

Nothing compared to the buffet at the Dusit Thani hotel AMAZING! (but indoors).
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:48 pm

Grand Millenium used to have a Sunday brunch deal - come 4/pay 2 which was excellent value for money imo. They now changed to to come 4/pay 3 still pretty good http://www.millenniumhotels.com/gran...-the-city.html
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:09 pm
JMR

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
Bump! It's been two years, what is new?

I have 5 nights coming up at the 4 Points on Suk 15 in early March. As a SPG gold, no free breakfast, and the buffet cash cost is 650++ THB.

Any nearby recommendations for breakfast? Either a healthy set or a buffet, economy priced?

Anyone know the price of the buffet at the aLoft?

Cheers, TIA!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:50 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by JMR
Bump! It's been two years, what is new?

I have 5 nights coming up at the 4 Points on Suk 15 in early March. As a SPG gold, no free breakfast, and the buffet cash cost is 650++ THB.

Any nearby recommendations for breakfast? Either a healthy set or a buffet, economy priced?

Anyone know the price of the buffet at the aLoft?

Cheers, TIA!
4P breakfast for 650++ THB is absolutely crazy and not worth it!!!

Convert your SPG Gold to Marriott Gold and stay at the newly-opened Marriott Marquis Queen's Park. Awesome new property but as Gold I'm not sure if you will get an upgrade but for sure you will get lounge access to include a breakfast that's much better than the 4P buffet, teatime, and happy hour benefits.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:54 pm
JMR

Originally Posted by Kalboz
4P breakfast for 650++ THB is absolutely crazy and not worth it!!!

Convert your SPG Gold to Marriott Gold and stay at the newly-opened Marriott Marquis Queen's Park. Awesome new property but as Gold I'm not sure if you will get an upgrade but for sure you will get lounge access to include a breakfast that's much better than the 4P buffet, teatime, and happy hour benefits.
Thanks Kalboz, I saw your photos and gave it some thought, but ultimately agree with Yosi - too much a schlep to the BTS. Also, I'm staying on points and 5 nights at the 4PTS are less than that at the Marquis, even with the 3-1 transfer.

One of the problems asking for bfast advice from so many elite travellors is that most never have to think about it
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by JMR
Thanks Kalboz, I saw your photos and gave it some thought, but ultimately agree with Yosi - too much a schlep to the BTS. Also, I'm staying on points and 5 nights at the 4PTS are less than that at the Marquis, even with the 3-1 transfer.

One of the problems asking for bfast advice from so many elite travellors is that most never have to think about it
For 1K Starpoints per day (over and above your current FP res) you'd get breakfast and possibly lounge at Marriott. That alone could justify the schlep.

There's lots of morning street food from a great congee cart (Soi 11/1) to lots of takeaway foods (Soi 18 and Soi 23 has an extensive selection). However many of these are more toward the western view of lunch foods as that differentiation just doesn't exists in Asia.... breakfast of a few sticks of grilled meat and sticky rice is downright normal!!!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:43 am
JMR

Originally Posted by dsquared37
For 1K Starpoints per day (over and above your current FP res) you'd get breakfast and possibly lounge at Marriott. That alone could justify the schlep.

There's lots of morning street food from a great congee cart (Soi 11/1) to lots of takeaway foods (Soi 18 and Soi 23 has an extensive selection). However many of these are more toward the western view of lunch foods as that differentiation just doesn't exists in Asia.... breakfast of a few sticks of grilled meat and sticky rice is downright normal!!!
Excellent points ... but if an SPG point is worth 2 cents, then 1000 = $20, at which it would be just as cheap to buy the meal at 4PTs and bank the points for a later 5-cent redemption (in my dreams ...)

The schlep for me is a big deal. Heck, we decided the aLoft was too far down the soi from the BTS.

Thanks for your guidance. We'll go native with the street carts if need be, sounds yummy.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by JMR

If you are worried about schlepping to the BTS, the new Marriott has a regular comped tuk tuk shuttle to Phrom Phong BTS station.

If you are worried about the rate, then you can go for the CY which has an excellent location and the only CY in the system that has a lounge and breakfast. Their current rate is around $80++ per night and at Category-4, just as low on points. Location is supreme at Ratchdamri and Ratchaprasong area.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kalboz
If you are worried about schlepping to the BTS, the new Marriott has a regular comped tuk tuk shuttle to Phrom Phong BTS station.

If you are worried about the rate, then you can go for the CY which has an excellent location and the only CY in the system that has a lounge and breakfast. Their current rate is around $80++ per night and at Category-4, just as low on points. Location is supreme at Ratchdamri and Ratchaprasong area.
The CY also has a complimentary tuk tuk but it can be away for stretches as it serves both Ratchadamri BTS and Chit Lom BTS and getting to the latter necessitates making a right turn off Mahatlek 1 onto Ratchadamri and then negotiating traffic prior to U-turning and accessing the parking areas of Hyatt et al in order to get to the station. It is very convenient however especially on those sweltering days.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:31 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
What is CY?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
What is CY?
Courtyard by Marriott.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:47 pm
JMR

Originally Posted by dsquared37
The CY also has a complimentary tuk tuk but it can be away for stretches as it serves both Ratchadamri BTS and Chit Lom BTS and getting to the latter necessitates making a right turn off Mahatlek 1 onto Ratchadamri and then negotiating traffic prior to U-turning and accessing the parking areas of Hyatt et al in order to get to the station. It is very convenient however especially on those sweltering days.
Thanks, I stayed at the CY a few years back on a PNH-BKK-LAX stopover. It had just opened, so maybe they worked this out, but getting a taxi was a nightmare. I did like the neighborhood and enjoyed the little shopping area that is nearby.

We will be in PNH again this trip. Any suggestions? Something better than the Le Cyclo, but not as nice as the Intercontinental ... with a decent breakfast?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMR

We will be in PNH again this trip. Any suggestions? Something better than the Le Cyclo, but not as nice as the Intercontinental ... with a decent breakfast?
There's a plethora of newly opened hotels of all levels in PNH. I can't give any info about any of them however since I have an apt.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:45 am
JMR

Anyone know what time the food court opens UNDER the Westin Grande/ McDonalds, in the TOPS Supermarket complex? Can a breakfast be had there, albeit without Western bfast fare?

I know some will be appalled, but I've often found it a nice, cheap place to grab a quick meal. Better than the McD's above it!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by JMR
Anyone know what time the food court opens UNDER the Westin Grande/ McDonalds, in the TOPS Supermarket complex? Can a breakfast be had there, albeit without Western bfast fare?

I know some will be appalled, but I've often found it a nice, cheap place to grab a quick meal. Better than the McD's above it!
Yes, Macdee is there plus you got TOPS food court there also which opens at 9:00 AM. We have had many lunches at TOPS food-court but never a breakfast.

Here are few choices on that side of Sukhumvit:

MacDee on top of TOPS!

TOPS food court opens at 9 AM

Hollys Coffee opens 24 hours (on Sukhumvit proper between Sois 15 & 17)

Young Lee Chinese/Thai grub at Sukhumvit 15 opens at 11:00 AM (the 4P Soi)

Margarita Storm Sukhumvit 13 breakfast served Midnight-11:00 AM

24-hour Coffee Shop on Sukhumvit 11 serving American style breakfast set for $5

Plenty places to eat in Bangkok especially around that area of Sukhumvit - most are delicious and cheap. And if it all fails, there is always street cart food!

Last edited by Kalboz; Jan 20, 2017 at 7:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.