Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

anyone used the accompanied luggage depository at BKK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: some

Has anyone used the accompanied luggage depository at BKK? I will be stopping over for one night on my way to NZ which allows 6 (!) bottles of wine and 3 bottles of spirits to be imported. I have a lot of nice wine in London that I would like to take so this would be great.

How does this work and where is it?

Information here:
http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng...menuNme=Travel

Accompanied Luggage Depository
(Customs Bond)

If you are a transit passenger with accompanied luggage and you do not want to clear Customs, you are allowed to deposit your accompanied items at a Customs Bond under the following criteria:

Passengers have an air ticket to the third country available;
The deposit duration is not more than 2 months;
The deposited items are not prohibited/restricted goods; and

There is no suspect of Customs offences , smuggling , or prohibition restriction violation.When the items are deposited at the Customs Bond at the Airport, Customs officials will issue a Deposit Form (Form 466) with two duplicates. The original copy is given to passengers. The first duplicate is affixed to the deposited items while the second one is affixed to the Deposit Form Counterfoil.

A daily fee at the following rates is charged for goods deposited in the Customs Bond:
If the gross weight per package
(a) not exceeding 20 kgs. 40 Baht/package/day
(b) exceeding 20 kgs. but not exceeding 40 kgs. 80 Baht/package/day
(c) exceeding 40 kgs. 150 Baht/package/day
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I didn't know this was available, though I'm not surprised it is... but can they be trusted?

What caught my attention was the cost. Left luggage, streetside, is a flat 150B per bag per 24 hours. Customs hold is as low as 40B per bag per day.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:27 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'll move this along from the Asia to the Thailand forum.

/mod
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, not sure if I trust them either...which is why I was hoping someone here would have tried it.

(apols for posting in wrong forum)
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: UAL,CO
I left my golf clubs in BKK airport before I traveled on to India about 1 month ago. It's very easy. I don't know the customs vs. non-customs part of the story, but the one I used was behind the AirAsia section of the check-in terminal (i.e. before passport control and security).

It seemed very safe and reliable.
I can't recall the cost but 50-150 baht sounds within range.

I read elsewhere that your future date booked BKK hotel will hold for you while you travel.
Not sure if this is an option for you.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply ThomasBrown, but the service I found holds your luggage for you airside. This way you can keep dutiable items and collect them when you fly out again.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My better half admonished me for posting incorrect info. She claims left luggage streetside is 100 baht per 24 hours. Still more expensive than your bonded service, but less than I thought.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: various
Left luggage on the non-secure side is about 100 baht/day. I used it a few months ago.

As to the bonded storage, it's got to be in the international arrival (baggage claim) area somewhere. I am unsuccessfully racking my memory to try to remember where I saw something that might be the correct desk/office to accomplish this. I presume there may be a pre-submittal inspection, which I would want for getting a correct inventory and signoff by Customs Official (also take my own digital photo), then getting some sort of receipt. I suppose trustworthiness is no different than with Left Luggage. What I'm curious about is when you return to the airport for departure, where do you go/how to you proceed to bail out your goods, either for baggage check-in for intl flight out, or carry-on. I presume it's got to be done airside, after going through exit immigration. And on both the deposit and pickup ends, need to allow extra time to get through the process--my guess is at least a half hour each way.

I'd volunteer to be a guinea pig and report back, but I may not be heading through BKK for at least another 2-3 months. This would be a good thing to know, especially for people who have picked up while traveling, a bunch of normally dutiable things like quantities of alcohol or multiple electronics, etc. that are NOT destined to stay in Thailand.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

If no one else has tried I guess I'll be the first this coming Friday. Will report back if so.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG, FFFWP
Let us know what you find out. I have a similar situation coming up soon.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:33 am
Original Poster

I just realised something...I understand the process on arrival: 1) you collect your bag, 2) you leave it at the depost.
But...on departure? You checkin landside, then go through customs, collect your bag...and then?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fliar
I just realised something...I understand the process on arrival: 1) you collect your bag, 2) you leave it at the depost.
But...on departure? You checkin landside, then go through customs, collect your bag...and then?
One would presume the need to be stamped out of the country before you could retrieve your bag containing dutiable goods.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
One would presume the need to be stamped out of the country before you could retrieve your bag containing dutiable goods.
true, but how do you then get your bag checked in for your flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.