Wiki Posts
Search

How many days in BKK?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
How many days in BKK?

First time in Thailand or BKK and, sadly, I can only manage a few days (3-5).

How many days does one need to experience Bangkok without rushing around too much?

(I am not thinking of venturing out of the capital, but if there's a manageable 1-day trip one simply must include, please let me know.)
Old Nov 14, 2009, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If this was my first time in Thailand and only 3-5 days available, I would stay in BKK. There are so many things to see and expirience. Stay at a fancy 5* hotel like Conrad or a hotel near the river - rates are low - and just enjoy the Thai hospitality. Shopping is great near Siam Sq.

Have fun and enjoy.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
...or a hotel near the river - rates are low...
Thanks. I am a true BKK novice, so please be patient. Should I be looking for a particular area by the river, or did you mean simply anywhere along the river? Any particular hotel names (besides Conrad) that might stand out as "best value" in terms of location, amenities and price?
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Agree to spend your entire time at BKK.

IIRC, the Le Meridien was running a special. For maximum efficiency, try looking for a hotel close to a Skytrain or Metro station. The Westin Grande Sukhumvit and Sheraton GS have great locations.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
For river side hotels I would consider Millenium Hilton - current Visa card promo on hilton.com is 25% off (promo code: PR24VC); the drawback is the location on "the other side" of the river. Lebua at State Tower on/near Silom Rd is another option; promo rate around 100 USD/nite + tax, incl. bf and great amenities. Le Meridien Plaza Athene (near Conrad and Sukhumvit) is a frequently reported win on Priceline for approx 56 USD + tax - great value.
Pullman Bangkok King Power is less expensive but gets good reviews (I admit I have never stayed there)

BKK hotels are frequently discussed in this forum and a search will reveal plenty of info - also on current promotions.

Good search engines are agoda.com; asiarooms.com and lastestays.com.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 2:14 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Bangkok is huge, you need weeks to see it all. For a good overview and the rundown, check out the wikitravel.org article.

agoda.com is my favourite Asia hotel booking engine so far.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:35 am

It's going to be my first time in Bangkok, too! I'm leaving this weekend. I loaded up on Thai "knowledge" by watching movies about the area. I find that they help to get me excited and put things in perspective. To that note, I'm going to be there for six days and head out to see elephants, floating market, river kwai, and Ayothaya. I've decided to skip beaches and stuff like that since I live by one and also saw a lot of other SE Asian beaches before.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
It's going to be my first time in Bangkok, too! I'm leaving this weekend. I loaded up on Thai "knowledge" by watching movies about the area. I find that they help to get me excited and put things in perspective. To that note, I'm going to be there for six days and head out to see elephants, floating market, river kwai, and Ayothaya. I've decided to skip beaches and stuff like that since I live by one and also saw a lot of other SE Asian beaches before.
Exciting plans! Would love to hear about your research/experience says re hotels and sightseeing.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:45 am

Programs: most of them
Obviously 3-5 days is not much time. I think how much you "need" depends a bit on the sorts of things you like to do. Bangkok is an enormous city. While staying near BTS or MRT is a good idea, you can't get to the most important sites like the Grand Palace and Wat Pho via those types of public transport very easily...altho I suppose you could take the BTS to Saphan Taksin and jump on a river boat. I wouldn't do that without a good guide for your first trip. That said, taxis are plentiful and relatively cheap.

If you can swing 5 days I would suggest a day trip to get out of the city and see more of the "real' Thailand. A trip to Ayutthaya with a stop along the way at the palace at Bang Pa-In is a good trip. You see the ruins of Ayutthaya which was once the capital of the country before it was sacked by the Burmese.

Bangkok is full of nice hotels. The level of service is quite excellent in most of them. You may also want to consider a serviced apartment unless you need a full service hotel. I personally like having a kitchen and a bit more space.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Exciting plans! Would love to hear about your research/experience says re hotels and sightseeing.
Heh. Hotel info comes from FlyerTalk! But I never realized how powerful Siam was several hundred years ago. That I got from the movies
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
meh.

leave BKK immediately and don't come back until your return flight
Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Heh. Hotel info comes from FlyerTalk! But I never realized how powerful Siam was several hundred years ago. That I got from the movies
Hey, nobody messes with Yul Brenner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.