Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

BKK security checkpoints to be changed Sept 6

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:42 am
spk
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G

According to AOT, the security checkpoints at BKK will now be centralized like LHR. The screening will be moved to right after immigration. There will be no more checkpoints at each concourse.

As this is Thailand, expect some difficulties during the first few days, but I think if the checkpoint is designed correctly then this is a move in the right direction.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Hopefully a welcome change. Let's also hope that BKK will install fast track lanes for premium pax like many airports.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
This does sound like a good idea, I must admit that I like to think that once in the lounge I do not have allow time for security checks before boarding. However something tells me that there will be "teething problems"

I just hope they are fixed and that there are proper fast track lanes in time for my next trip in January
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by spk
According to AOT, the security checkpoints at BKK will now be centralized like LHR. The screening will be moved to right after immigration. There will be no more checkpoints at each concourse.

As this is Thailand, expect some difficulties during the first few days, but I think if the checkpoint is designed correctly then this is a move in the right direction.
Is this really a good thing... I never seem to have to wait with the distributed security checks at each of the concourses. With everyone going through a centralized line, is there a concern that they will not have enough lanes/staff and this will result in a bottleneck?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
I wonder how it will be like for transfer passengers too... Should be interesting!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
I Arrive at BKK off TG 795 at 6:40am on Sept 6 so it appears I may be one of the first to try this out. I am only transiting so Im not sure if that will make a difference.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:39 pm
spk
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G
There will be the checkpoints as follows

1 checkpoint for TG Premium check-in
2 checkpoints for normal pax (one each at east and west immigration desks)
2 checkpoints for international transfer
1 checkpoint for domestic-to-international transfer
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:16 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi, when I watch the Thai security team checking the baggage, they display to me a " I really couldn't care less" attitude, the one designated to watch the screen is usually chatting and it is a, let's just go through the motions style of working. I was thankful there was a secondary check. When I consider how much cabin baggage they have allowed me to fly with over the years, I think they have an inability to say "No you are not allowed to take that onboard". How would they treat a criminal?. In Indonesia, there are usually 3 checks on the Australian run, and I feel secure. Ever since the Thai security forces left a rabble take over their airports a couple of years ago, I have never felt 100% sure that Thailand's security forces truely understand that they have to look after their tourist and their business partners. With security precautions, it is always an idea never to telegraph your intentions, be it ramping up or scaling down. I am happy with increased hotel/airport/airline security, I don't like the idea that any country, esp one in our region, where we had a hotel blast last month, and more earlier in the year, should decrease it's security for visitors. regrds bkkrop
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi, when I watch some of these security team as I travel, checking the baggage, they display to me a " I really couldn't care less" attitude, the one designated to watch the screen is usually chatting and it is a, let's just go through the motions style of working. I was thankful there was a secondary check. When I consider how much cabin baggage they have allowed me to fly with over the years, I think they have an inability to say "No you are not allowed to take that onboard". How would they treat a criminal?. In Indonesia, there are usually 3 checks on the Australian run, and I feel secure. Ever since the security forces left a rabble take over their airports a couple of years ago, I have never felt 100% sure that The security forces truely understand that they have to look after their tourist and their business partners. With security precautions, it is always an idea never to telegraph your intentions, be it ramping up or scaling down. I am happy with increased hotel/airport/airline security, I don't like the idea that any country, esp one in our region, where we had a hotel blast last month, and more earlier in the year, should decrease it's security for visitors. regrds bkkrop

Last edited by BKKROP; Sep 4, 2009 at 12:03 am Reason: made comments more general
Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:33 am

I transferred from FRA to CNX on 20AUG. I might be wrong but it looked to me that the central security check is already in place. I can be wrong because I am a WCHS pax and never pay much attention to details because I am always busy chatting with the boys taking care of me.

Last edited by Fan2502; Sep 4, 2009 at 9:56 pm Reason: typing error
Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:42 am

Programs: Thai Airways - Star Alliance Silver
This is definitely a vast improvement. We should now be able to bring water bottles which are bought air-side onto the plane.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:54 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I have absolutely no confidence in the secondary gate checks. They consistently fail to do anything other than a token look in the bag(s) and don't even react when I say "but why did that woman walk past you and nobody stopped her (etc etc)". Good riddence.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 5:24 am

On recent trips I noticed that security scans are right after immigration at Hong Kong, Seoul, Taipei and Manila...

at Bangkok, this should not be a problem if you are on TG premiums classes because there are three (or four?) dedicated outbound immigration counters and the lines are usually non-existent (or very short) ...the security lines after that should be the same I think...

for the rest....there could be snaking lines though....
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:54 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
This would explain the construction going on in the ramps leading down from immigration to the duty free area this past Sunday.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Trajan
On recent trips I noticed that security scans are right after immigration at Hong Kong, ....
At HKG, passengers clear security before immigration. This process has been in place for a while. In fact, they match the name on your passport and scan your boarding pass before letting you to enter the security checkpoint area.

It will certainly be a huge improvement at BKK if they abandon doing security check near the gate. It never made sense to me. Once I cleared immigration and sat comfortably at the lounge, I should not need to worry about leaving for the gate early enough to clear security.

It was an obvious photostat copy of the arrangements in SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.