Community
Wiki Posts
Search

917/916 LHR-BKK and back

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold; OW Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Hyatt GoldPassport Platinum; Accor Silver
917/916 LHR-BKK and back

Quick questions -

1. Do the 744s serving LHR feature the newer J class product?
2. Am I right in thinking that TG uses the London Lounge (SK) at T3?

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:25 am

Hi there,

Yes, the London flights are the newish lie-flat-at-an-angle seats in J, unless there is a last minute equipment change, and though THAI suggest the SK London Lounge, you might prefer the SQ lounge.

Have a nice flight!
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by 11277m
you might prefer the SQ lounge.
I don't think you would
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: Royal Orchid - Flying Blue
Have a look :
http://tucoblog.over-blog.com/
on this blog I just finished today.
It seems 7443 to 7442 changes occurs according to fact TG has not enough 7443 series.
As I was spoiled 2 times on my last flights (CDG / BKK) on Business with this changes I avoid TG now.
Previoully for me (15 years ago) it was a near perfect company.
Now I think this is is " finished".
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold
I've done this route loads of times and never had a swap. Maybe London has higher priority or something.
You would be very unlucky to get the old cabin.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 2:48 pm

B747-400 : 7442 & 7443 series

Originally Posted by BarryJS
I've done this route loads of times and never had a swap. Maybe London has higher priority or something.
You would be very unlucky to get the old cabin.
Sure I was unlucky !
It seems swaps happens too on LHR / BKK as I read on Skytrax (passenger's review of June 24) :
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/thai.htm
who wrote :
LHR-BKK-LHR. Was disappointed with the dated aircraft, shabby interior and no personal Tv screens and this was a 12 hr flight! IFE was limited with no choice as the only screen was in the centre bank of seats. Although this was a night flight the IFE was completely shut off after the meal service. In retrospect it did make us sleep so felt more energised at destination but it would have been nice to have the choice. The cabin crew were very efficient and friendly. The meals were tasty for airplane food.

Last edited by aixois54; Jun 28, 2009 at 2:50 pm Reason: word correction
Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:14 pm

That was economy.. That's always that bad on the 747, even without a swap!
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by BarryJS
That was economy.. That's always that bad on the 747, even without a swap!
Sure you are right the passenger travelled in Economy class.
But if it is a BOEING B 747-400 7442 series (instead of a 7443) it is the out of date First and Business cabin lay out (no lie flat seats and so on).
I noticed swaps on LHR / BKK on several forums.
Is there less swaps in LHR than in CDG I do not know !
Have a nice day.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:29 am

Programs: AMEXROP, TG Gold, BAEC Gold, BD gold
I too have suffered with equipment changes on LHR-BKK route and now do not fly Thai unless free ticket with ROP miles.

Just flew back this weekend LHR-BKK in First and can confirm that the seats were the newer type in BIZ also. I say newer as they are now showing there age with wear. The plane was old livery plane but I did not have any problems and slept well enough.

Do what I do and call Thai in London on the morning of the flight to check which aircraft type (seating) left BKK. Then you will not get a late change of equipment unless there is a technical problem.

Service was poor but that was because First was 70% Thai people and the staff certainly treated them better than the western passengers, which was not my experience previously. I have to say though that the older the crew are, the worse I find there attitude.

This was an award ticket as my paying business goes to SQ as I do not want to spend biz class prices just to enter a lottery as to which plane I will get.

10 sectors with SQ on 777 and A380 between LHR-SIN-BKK-SIN-AKL-SIN-LHR-SIN-BKKno problems and all new equipmet with great service.

I too use the SQ lounge as it is quiter and choice of food and alcohol is better.

Good luck!
Old Jun 29, 2009, 1:17 am

Is there a way of looking up the registration of the plane before the flight?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 1:43 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by bkkman
I have to say though that the older the crew are, the worse I find there attitude.
I find the same thing also. Not just with TG but with all airlines. It seems that flight attendants especially get grumpier with age and develop a don't care attitude, probably from dealing with grumpy and problem passengers over all the years. I wish all airlines would retire or reassign all flight attendants beyond middle age. With TG it seems especially noticeable because most of the young FAs have beautiful smiles as do most Thai people. Compared to other airlines where the people aren't so prone to smiling to begin with.

Originally Posted by bkkman
I too use the SQ lounge as it is quiter and choice of food and alcohol is better.
I'll third that. I much prefer the SKL to the SAS lounge, though would recommend anyone who hasn't tried them both before to do so and make up their own minds as everyone has different tastes. I certainly can see how some would prefer SAS even though I don't.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 1:59 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by aixois54
Sure you are right the passenger travelled in Economy class.
But if it is a BOEING B 747-400 7442 series (instead of a 7443) it is the out of date First and Business cabin lay out (no lie flat seats and so on).
I noticed swaps on LHR / BKK on several forums.
Is there less swaps in LHR than in CDG I do not know !
Have a nice day.
Hi aixois54, The old 747's are used on the Nordic runs where they sell business as prem econ and first as business, and there are only 2 of them left, and from what I can gleam they do not intend to refurbish them. During the change over period, there were many problems, but now with the extra A346 and the A345 back in service the likely hood of a swap in the next 6months is very low. This predicament is similar to the change on the Asian long haul 773's where IIRC I have experienced the odd one out of MEL back in 2006. On the European runs I have never had a problem, but having said that, I always check on flighstats to see what left BKK the previous day. If you have personally experienced a problem with an old aircraft, you should contact RG and persevere and respond through 3 of their replies, and you will be looked after.

Hi seanyjmuc, the seats are are the new ones and my choice of lounge, the London lounge is normaly closer to the gate, have a good flight , regards bkkrop
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BKKROP
Hi aixois54, The old 747's are used on the Nordic runs where they sell business as prem econ and first as business, and there are only 2 of them left, and from what I can gleam they do not intend to refurbish them.
BKKROP, hate to pull you up, but....

THAI has 6 B747s with older interior fit (7442), and 12 B747s with updated interior fit in F and C.

The 6 B747s with an older interior fit are actually newer aircraft (later delivery and lower lower airframe hours) than the other 12.

From TG website:
Aircraft Type Aircraft Type Code Number of Aircraft Number of Seat First Class Royal Silk Class Premium Economy Class Economy
Boeing 747-400 747 6 389 14 50 - 325
Boeing 747-400 744 12 375 10 40 - 325
I have no idea if THAI will bother updating the interior of the 6 'newer' aircraft!

Cheers, TK
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: AMEXROP, TG Gold, BAEC Gold, BD gold
If you have personally experienced a problem with an old aircraft, you should contact RG and persevere and respond through 3 of their replies, and you will be looked after.

Hi seanyjmuc, the seats are are the new ones and my choice of lounge, the London lounge is normaly closer to the gate, have a good flight , regards bkkrop[/QUOTE]

Def do not agree with both these quotes as I had, and know many others, who have complained many times and have never been LOOKED AFTER.

Also my LHR-BKK flight was from gate one which is def nearer SQ lounge than London lounge.

Last edited by bkkman; Jun 29, 2009 at 5:52 am Reason: wrong info
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi bkkman and TK, what do they say, except you not usually right but you're wrong this time Sorry to say that it looks like I have to wear glasses more often than not when I go checking on things, 2 is definitely not 12, and sorry to hear about you not getting satisfaction, I agree that they are difficult to deal with, but in my book, if I pay full price for F, that is what I want, and I will not let them wriggle out of it, regards bkkrop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.