Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Good Flying Experience to Europe - Any Suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: ROP Gold

I am planning to use TG points to take my 9 year old son to Europe (from BKK) next year. I have seen most of Europe already, but I want my son to have a really great trip and flying experience. Can anyone recommend which European routes (if any) use nice modern aircraft? We will be travelling Biz class (which is rare for us) and I am keen for this to be real special for my son. Also, which European destinations have good Biz class lounges when flying TG? We can be flexible with dates as I know some Biz class tickes using points are difficult to obtain.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 6:35 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
They have retrofitted Biz class since a while back for flights to Paris and London for sure. But lounges for both distinations kind of suck. Flight experience (incluidng services, food and seat) are much better than AF (Paris), in my opinion. For London, I only fly with TG.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:46 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
If you fly via CPH or ARN you will be able to enjoy the old F seats in the nose of the 747. They are fully flat (compared to the new angled lie-flat) but a bit slim and PTV are old style non AVOD. Some like it, some dont. I belong to the first group of people. Nothing beats the roomy feeling of the 747 nose section if you ask me
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I agree with BHIL. Or consider flying to ZRH (Zürich) on the Airbus A340-600. Very pleasant experience in C (or F)!

Just be aware that gaining an award C seat can be tricky these days, much more so than 2-3 years ago - you might need to be flexible on travel dates.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, ROP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I agree with Thai-Kiwi....Zurich or Moscow on the A340-600....
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi ureba, the important thing for a nine year old is the experience and flying TG out of Bangkok, regardless of everything, is still one of the best in the world. You can expand the experience in Bangkok from the beginning, taking it all in from the checkin experience to the massage, which a young one will never had known. I would go with a 747, by the time the nine year old is a teenager, the jumbo will have gone the way of DC8 and 707. If your son is hyper, I would suggest an A346 as it has better entertainment, however as most flights leave at midnight, the little one would be asleep for most of the trip. London has good lounges, the Paris *A is NEW, you do read good reports about HKG and FRA. Out of left field, if it's July/August Australia and New Zealand are in winter, read this as cold, snow, ice and if your son hasn't experienced a winter wonderland before, it is memorable. The planes running these routes are 772, brand new with a beautiful business cabin, excellent food and only nine a a bit hours of flying. Lovely idea ureba, taking your son away, shame I didn't think like you, regards bkkrop
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: most of them
not sure I necessarily agree that the 747 will be done in less than 5 years. Boeing is still cranking them out these days so it's not likely they will be disappearing any time soon.

It's a little difficult to answer your question though. What sorts of things does the kid like to do? That might influence the choice of destination. I love Scandinavia in summer so the Copenhagen and Stockholm suggestions are good ones. And it is hard to go wrong with London. I would select the destination based on what you will do at the destination rather than which place has a good lounge. After all you will only be in the lounge for a very short time compared to the time you will be out and about on your vacation.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: ROP Gold
Thanks all - good information and suggestions. Happy New Year !!
Old Dec 31, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: ROP Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thumbs up London London

Come to London! With slumped pound, London has become a lot cheaper than ever before.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Or consider flying to ZRH (Zürich) on the Airbus A340-600. Very pleasant experience in C (or F)!
Is TG971 ZRH-BKK reliably on A346? Does TG tend to swap aircraft often on this route?

My alternative is SQ ZRH-SIN, which has the good J seats on 77W.

I haven't flown TG J long haul in a while. How does it compare to SQ J these days?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:01 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Is TG971 ZRH-BKK reliably on A346? Does TG tend to swap aircraft often on this route?

My alternative is SQ ZRH-SIN, which has the good J seats on 77W.

I haven't flown TG J long haul in a while. How does it compare to SQ J these days?
I had never an equipment change with TG on the BKK - ZRH route, but in the past it happened. Today the risk is minimal.

However you will "enjoy" the bone hard "new" C seating on TG. Now the seats getting older they are even more hard, especially around the joints. Just yesterday I felt as there is literally no padding . A second blanket is mandatory unless money does not matter and you can afford to fly the new SQ C which is simply heaven with a real matress - better than TG F anytime (including service and language skills).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.