Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Early domestic departure. What time to leave downtown BKK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2003, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

We're scheduling a BKK to Chaing Mai flight at 6:30 or 8:30am.

If I assume 1 hour check-in, what time should we leave out downtown Bangkok Sheraton hotel?

Will the traffic be bad headed towards the airport?

Dan
Old May 12, 2003, 7:28 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Depends on weekday or weekend. If you can make it to the expressway and tollway quickly and there is no traffic it should take no longer than 25 minutes. The question is how long it takes you to get to the tollway. An hour check-in is more than enough. If you want to get some extra sleep my take is that 1/2 hour will be more than enough time. Try Goodview or the Riverside resteraunt in Chiang Mai. They are both quite nice.
Old May 13, 2003, 1:39 am

I agree with tfong007, it should not take more than 30-45 minutes to the domestic terminal from the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Be sure to tell the taxi to take the "highway" or "expressway". They are more familar with the word "highway" in English. The "highway" costs a total of Baht70 (about US$1.60) and involves stops at two toll booths, but it significantly speeds up the trip to the airport.

You don't want to check in too early cause there's not much to do at the airport. The domestic TG business class lounge is so-so with a few snacks, juices and other drinks.

I just came back from Chiang Mai with some Thai friends and also recommend the "Goodview" Thai restaurant which is right on the River Ping. http://www.chiangmainews.com/dining/goodview.php

Be sure to reserve a table right next to the river on the terrance level. Very popular, so its necessary to book to get a good table.

The liitle tuk tuk taxis from anywhere in the central area of town should only be about Baht60 to "Goodview".

Also, try the "Whole Earth" restaurant. Great food and set in very nice setting. Book a table on the second floor veranda of the house.

If you havent tried yet, try the short elephant trek through a river and jungle area. Im not usually into that kind of thing, but in Chiang Mai it was great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.