Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-BKK-DPS - Expectations in Y

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2001, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
LAX-BKK-DPS - Expectations in Y

If anyone can give me an idea of what one can expect in Economy class from Los Angeles - Bangkok to Denpasar, Bali I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 16, 2001, 7:11 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
LAX-BKK will be in the old 747-400. Crumbling. Dilapidated. Good service, though (I've not flown econ. - just what I've heard).

BKK-DPS is now on A330's - VERY nice improvement from the A300's. Flew that route on TG in May in biz., and have no regrets. One word of warning: DO be as close to the front as possible to exit ASAP - when I arrived, two other planes arrived at the same time, and the line to customs was over 50 deep, literally. On my trip they used door 2L, which is the separator between biz. and econ., so as far front as possible is advisable.

Will
Old Jul 17, 2001, 1:39 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
I was in Denpasar(Bali) a couple of weeks ago and I agree about the lines at migration. Customs however is no problem. They do xray your cabin baggage on arrival so don't exceed your tax free allowance of spirits and wines. They asked me to show them all the bottles I had in my carry-ons. I had some extra bottles of soda and they were suspicious of them.

Actually I disagree about the Thai 747-400s. They usually keep the older ones in good condition. The seat pitch is not good in business class on the older 747-400s but in economy it's the same.

I actually think Thai is a good economy class airline. Not so good in business class.

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 07-17-2001).]
Old Jul 17, 2001, 3:33 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
A bit over two years ago, I flew TG in Y BKK<->DPS. When I take short-haul flights, for example between BKK and HKG or TPE I usually buy very inexpensive Y, and then just try for an upgrade on ROP Gold. Doesn't always work, so I get to sample the TG Y product. My take is that TG, while not being anything close to a true world-class airline, has a passable economy product. For example, they are better than most of the mainland Chinese carriers in terms of equipment maintenance and service, the latter being better than US economy.

TG has recently dropped the price of J to DPS to about US$650 (ex-BKK), and would suggest this if a stopover in BKK was possible. Otherwise, it is going to be three long flights on TG from LAX.

In regard to immigration, I recall that I arrived mid-afternoon in DPS, and can't recall any immigration or baggage problems.
Old Jul 17, 2001, 8:15 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAL Traveler:
A bit over two years ago, I flew TG in Y BKK&lt;-&gt;DPS...In regard to immigration, I recall that I arrived mid-afternoon in DPS, and can't recall any immigration or baggage problems.</font>
Hi UAL!

I took the flight in October '99 - no probs. w/immigration then.

But then just last May, it was a NIGHTMARE. China Airlines beat us to the terminal, but since I'm tall, I walked past 'em all by following a VERY determined German guy (we both had long gaits). A Garuda flight arrived right after, and it was CHAOS. The tmes, they are a changin'... and the lines SUCKED. Just FYI. That's the review. How's BKK? Stayed at the Peninsula in May, too, and was pretty impressed. But I digress...

Will
Old Jul 18, 2001, 3:07 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
To be a little bit fair to migration at Bali ... The line can be long but still nowhere near as bad as it can be in LAX, ORD or EWR. I've been in line for 90 minutes at LAX. great service from US migration.
Old Jul 18, 2001, 7:23 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Will, BKK is great. Not too rainy this year. Lately a few FT'ers have been in town and/or passing through, which is quite nice.

Austman, are you eligible for INSPass? If so, 90 minutes will quickly become just about zero.
Old Jul 20, 2001, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the comments. I snagged 32 JH on the 744 to BKK and 31 BC on the return to LAX (both are the 1st row on each side of the first Y cabin). The BKK-DPS seats are 32 AB (these are 2nd row as I could not get 1st row as its for airport use). Comments on seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.