Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Out of *A? Not just a rumour! Announcement pending?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Out of *A? Not just a rumour! Announcement pending?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2001, 12:13 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
All I can say is good luck to TG if they they think that they can improve revenue going it alone, or joining a weak alliance. TG's problems are internal, not external.
Old May 30, 2001, 2:36 pm

I am seriously considering a baht run in January 2002 to get UA 1K status. Does anyone have an opinion on how this possible chnage could affect my timing?

Thanks,
Old May 31, 2001, 12:57 am

Originally posted by bxwatso:
I am seriously considering a baht run in January 2002 to get UA 1K status. Does anyone have an opinion on how this possible chnage could affect my timing?

Thanks,
Sorry, you can't get UA 1K status on Baht Run anymore. UA has amended the rules. For further details check UA website or UA forum on this site.

Best of luck on your mileage earning opportunities.
Old May 31, 2001, 10:50 am

I have looked at the United section and at UAL.COM. I have found no indication that the rules have changed.

The United Mileage Plus Member's Guide still states that "The flight miles and segments earned on Star Alliance member flights also count toward Premier Status."

What is the source of your information? I certainly don't want to bother with a segments run if it won't work.

Thanks for your input.
Old May 31, 2001, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While it's hard to say what the "rules" might be in January 2002, I can tell you now that a so-called "Baht Run" is certainly eligible this year (2001), as pointed out by bxwatso. UA M+ has not modified their existing rules re: Premier qualification with miles or segments on Star Alliance partners like TG. Now they could change the rules in 2002 (and eliminate segments on TG and other carriers?) and/or TG could leave Star Alliance.
Old May 31, 2001, 7:34 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Thai Airways president Bhisit Kuslasayanon told reporters the airline had lost almost half of its operating revenue in South-east Asia after Lufthansa had diverted some traffic to Singapore Airlines.
http://news.airwise.com/stories/2001/05/991310608.html
Old Jun 1, 2001, 8:41 am

Originally posted by transpac:
While it's hard to say what the "rules" might be in January 2002, I can tell you now that a so-called "Baht Run" is certainly eligible this year (2001) . . . Now they could change the rules in 2002 (and eliminate segments on TG and other carriers?) and/or TG could leave Star Alliance.

That is a good point, and should be of some concern. Does anyone have a sense about this issue? I tend to think that only a few (no more than a dozen) people have done a Baht run, so this issue is not on anyone's radar scope.

On the other hand, if I thought 2001 was my last chance, I might do the run this year and forgo the 2003 benefits.
Old Jun 2, 2001, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Or, they can simply decide to disallow *A segments at any time, since there is no specfic rule that does allow it.
Old Jul 9, 2001, 12:24 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Air France SA has had talks with potential recruits to its SkyTeam global alliance but it is not vital that they join, the French carrier's Managing Director Pierre-Henri Gourgeon told Reuters on Monday.

``There are companies who talk to us, who question us, but we feel that an alliance with too many partners becomes difficult to manage,'' Gourgeon said.

SkyTeam's five members, which also include Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE AL - news), Korean Air Lines and Aeromexico offer seats on each other's flights and run harmonised timetables and frequent flyer programmes.

The grouping competes with three others, Star Alliance and OneWorld, which have 15 and eight members respectively, and the smaller Wings, which has three.

Discussions between SkyTeam and Thai Airways International Plc, which is mulling pulling out of Star Alliance, have so far led to no agreement.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/010709/l094969.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.