Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Out of *A? Not just a rumour! Announcement pending?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Out of *A? Not just a rumour! Announcement pending?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2000, 5:57 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Yes, but seemingly the Thai Air folks are NOT happy with Stars recent moves- and are worried about being eclipsed!

Supposedly the "lure of regional hub status!"

Perhaps!
Old Sep 29, 2000, 2:39 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
I will be sorry to see Thai leaves Star. It does offer a better hub position in Bangkok than Singapore's Changi. Someone in Star should do something to keep Thai in the alliance.
Old Sep 29, 2000, 9:31 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Jazzhou-- I like TG in *A, but Im not sure I agree with BKK being a better hub than SIN. Would you kindly elaborate why you think BKK is better?
Old Oct 2, 2000, 10:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
True, BKK is not as nice an airport as SIN, but for my part, I would opt for BKK over SIN for distance. You can shave a good hour off of travel times to other Asian regions. SIN's only real geographic advantage is flight to AUS/NZ and CGK.

If you are connecting, say, HKG-SIN-DEL versus HKG-BKK-DEL, the latter will save you a good two hours of flying time.
Old Oct 2, 2000, 10:29 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
time saved versus miles 'lost' ...
Old Oct 5, 2000, 8:11 am
Original Member

Well, as a mileage maniac who's in the past (but for not much longer) has been too loyal to DL and flown BOS - ATL - LGW, I think I would opt for the miles and fly through SIN, a far nicer airport IMHO than BKK. Hopefully, the new BKK airport will be a lot nicer than the current one.
Old Nov 22, 2000, 9:26 pm
doc
Original Poster

Rumours persist that TG may soon be leaving Star for another suitor such as SKYTEAM!
Old Nov 23, 2000, 10:15 am

Doc,

You usually provide us with a source.

This is the thread that just won't die.

If you were TG what would you do? Push for a revenue/traffic sharing agreement with SQ (which was probably the conditition for TG to drop objections to SQ joining), or join a smaller network.

The reality is, * is still going to feed more traffic to TG than Skyteam will.
Old Nov 23, 2000, 2:36 pm
doc
Original Poster

Sorry for the oversight!
http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/4/news/nseas01.html

I'd personally be inclined to avoid SKYTEAM- but would do what's best for the company, as that would be my job!

I think that there is some "ego" aspect involved here too!

Mr. Bhisit Kuslasayanon, THAI’s new President, has just been "crowned" - so we'll see!
Old Nov 24, 2000, 9:58 am

Not that puts a different complexion on things. Thanks, doc. As always, you are as reliable as a press scan.

I still don't think anyone is going to up with a better deal for them--but who knows?
Old Nov 25, 2000, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Good link. Thanks Doc.
Old Nov 29, 2000, 12:54 am

Programs: DL: PM
Originally posted by ozstamps:

Good link. Thanks Doc.
Glen, how would this affect future baht runs??

------------------
I fly therefore I am!
Old Mar 19, 2001, 6:24 am
doc
Original Poster

Air France top executives remain unshaken and confident in the potential growth of the Thai national carrier.

Despite the uncertainty surrounding the investigation of the incident, the French carrier would not change its mind about attempting to acquire a stake in THAI, executives said.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/today/190...iness15-1.html
Old Mar 19, 2001, 6:46 am

Another English-language paper in Thailand, The Nation, also ran a similar article on AF wooing TG, based, I think, on an interview or news conference given by this same AF official. It appeared in the March 16 edition.

But not so sure if AF would turn out to be successful in getting TG into SkyTeam.

TG is apparently enhancing its cooperation with LH. I read a few months back the two are going further than codesharing. They are plannig revenue sharing on some Thailand-Germany routes. This I think would enable them to issue interline tickets (for discount sales). I hope they will start soon.
Old May 29, 2001, 11:29 am
doc
Original Poster

Star Alliance risks losing two member airlines

The Star Alliance faced the risk of losing two member airlines on Tuesday as one carrier said it might quit, while another looked like it might have to shift to the rival Oneworld grouping.

Thai Airways International Plc said it would review its membership because it had lost business after Singapore Airlines Ltd joined Star last year.
http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/010529/l29269399.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.