Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Airways To Increase International Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2001, 5:25 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Thai Airways International, Thailand's national carrier, announced today that it will raise airfares on its U.S. and European routes in October.

The Public Aviation Commission which oversees THAI has approved the move but turned down its request for higher fares on domestic routes, according to a statement from the airline.

THAI cited oil price hikes as a reason to raise its domestic airfares by 4 percent, but the commission said THAI had already jacked up the prices once and it is unnecessary to raise the airfares again .

The commission also came up with a decision to allow airport fees to be raised by some 50 baht (1.2 U.S. dollars) per person.

http://news.airwise.com/stories/2001/07/994156370.html
Old Jul 3, 2001, 5:41 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Perfect Thai logic and symmetry. Cancel aircraft refurbishments, and then raise fares to compensate.

Since the economic crash in July '97, the government here has been periodically testing the waters about an increase in the departure tax... as much to soak farang as it would be to 'motivate' Thais not to travel abroad, but rather to vacation domestically. Perhaps that mentality is partially responsible for keeping a lid on domestic fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.