Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

500 Baht Departure Tax - the end of an era!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500 Baht Departure Tax - the end of an era!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
not sure what you are saying, but the departure tax is not levied for transits. If you dont go through customs you will not pay it on departure. If you do go out to the city, you will have to pay it in some method.
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
In the 'old' days, that's true. However, I thought as of this month, BKK has joined most other modern airports in having the airlines pre-collect departure tax at ticket issuance.
In theory, sfvoyage should be correct -- now that the tax is collected when the ticket is issued, and payment is verified by the airline rather than by the hole-punchers, transit passengers should be free to pass through customs if they so desire, without having to pay 700 Bt for the privilege. (During a long transit someone might actually want to try to rush into town, but even during a brief layover a trip "landside" might be useful if one wanted to buy something ordinary, rather than just the overpriced King Power luxury goods available airside.)

Has anyone tried this to see whether it's possible? If the hole-punchers are totally gone, I guess it must be doable -- who will try to collect money from you if you already have a BP and there's no tax checker in front of immigration? (I'll have four hours in BKK next week, so this is of more than academic interest to me.)
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

I can confirm that the hole punchers are totally gone.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TG Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, the hole punchers are gone. no sign of them earlier this week. Also, at check-in the lady did take a proper look to see that BKK tax were included in the ticket.

Originally Posted by sgn1k
(During a long transit someone might actually want to try to rush into town, but even during a brief layover a trip "landside" might be useful if one wanted to buy something ordinary, rather than just the overpriced King Power luxury goods available airside.)

Has anyone tried this to see whether it's possible? If the hole-punchers are totally gone, I guess it must be doable -- who will try to collect money from you if you already have a BP and there's no tax checker in front of immigration? (I'll have four hours in BKK next week, so this is of more than academic interest to me.)
I also thought about this actually. The only way they can really get you is to ask you to get a proper boarding card (i.e, non-transit). The immigration may insist on Bkk issued boarding passes or something similiar. so, unless someone tries this, i guess no one can say what can happen.

I have done this in Frankfurt and singapore, i.e, went out of immigration into town for a short time between flights. bags were through checked.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 3:48 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Thank Goodness, I wish they were retired years ago.
-UFFA
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: thai, virgin, emirates, priority club
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
You're right, I'll be booking my GF ticket with a TA in Bangkok, and the SQ ticket directly with SQ in Jakarta.
compare with what happens in london: the only connecting flights where uk air passenger duty is not payable are those that are part of the same itinerary (conjunction tickets); the connection time must also be within specified limits and the next destination must be a different airport from the point of origin of the first flight.

if u’re travelling on two separate tickets that are not conjunction tickets, then i fully expect that the 700 baht for bkk remains collectable by the second airline and cannot be refunded, even for what is technically an airside transit.

i have actually had airport tax refunded before, at macau airport. after taking a boat from hong kong to macau, it used to be possible to check-in for a flight at the boat pier, then pay to board a bonded bus to macau airport airside without going through macau immigration. there was a desk in the airside lounge at which the ticket was surrendered, in exchange for cash (i think it was 50 patacas). i presume the service was discontinued through lack of demand.

ian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.