Wiki Posts
Search

Int'l to Dom. Connection Times at New BKK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Int'l to Dom. Connection Times at New BKK

All,

Does anyone know how long it takes to arrive (biz) Int'l and depart (coach) domestic without checked bags at the new BKK?

Specifically... My wife and I will be arriving on 2 Jan in Bangkok on the TG non-stop from JFK, scheduled to arrive 5pm. We need to connect to Koh Samui, and currently the only available flight is at 6pm. Do we stand a chance of making this?

Or should we book a connecting flight the next day (rather not - short trip) and waitlist on the 8:30pm on the 2nd? We will be arriving in business, although we are flying Bangkok Airways to Koh Samui in coach (no option).

We don't check bags, are experienced travelers, and move through airports quickly.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!! (Neither one of us has been to the new airport yet).

THANKS!! -Ed
Old Dec 11, 2006, 7:30 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
If your flight arrives in BKK on time, and assuming no or very short immigration queues, and assuming Bangkok Air isn't strict about forcing you to check in 45 minutes before your flight, or something like that, you might be ok. I average 10 minutes or under from stepping off the plane on international TG flights to exiting customs.

Looking on their website, the Bangkok Air flight is using an ATR-72, which is a tiny plane and has rear boarding, meaning you'll likely be bused to the plane. I've only traveled once on a Bangkok Air flight, and they insisted that you be at the boarding gate at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure or you would be denied boarding, due to the busing requirement. That was at Don Muang, so don't know if it's still the same at Suvarnabhumi or not.

So while if everything goes well, you should be able to make the connection, it's certainly cutting it close it wouldn't take much to go wrong to cause you to miss your flight. Every time I've arrived, there have been no queues at immigration, but I've never arrived at 17:00, so don't know what the typical situation is like at that time. Being you're flying in biz class, you should be one of the first from your plane to immigration, but if there are a lot of flights arriving just before your's, you might be stuck for a while. According to the TG website, C and F passengers are entitled to use the Fast-Track Immigration booth, so if you see long lines, you might try that option.

I think I'd personally wait-list the 20:30 on the 2nd, and get a confirmed seat on the first flight (06:00) on the 3rd just to be safe. There's 2 other flights leaving that evening after the 18:00, so why not wait-list all of them?

If you do stick with the 18:00 flight, I'd still wait-list the later flights and change to one of them if they become available to give yourself a bit more time in case you need it.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:08 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus, TG ROP, BA EC, QR Privilege Club, SQ Krisflyer
If you do find yourselves facing long lines for passport control and things are getting desperate, I would suggest that you get the attention of one of the immigration officers who will be hovering around behind the desks. Show them some evidence of your flight with PG, smile, and ask for their help. This has got me out of a tight situation more than once.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:20 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by Soju
I average 10 minutes or under from stepping off the plane on international TG flights to exiting customs.
Holy smokes! Do you sprint? I think it took me longer than that just to get to the immigration desks, and that was walking at a brisk pace on the moving walkways.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I think itjust reflects that Soju has been bussed back more often that not!

I did a quick BKK-PHS-BKK 'run' today and exiting at Gate B4, with only a small carry-on, it took quite a while to fiercely stride the distance to exit Domestic Arrival.

I'll have to time it Wed (BKK-SIN-BKK)
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Rampo
Holy smokes! Do you sprint? I think it took me longer than that just to get to the immigration desks, and that was walking at a brisk pace on the moving walkways.
10 min is very reasonable I have to agree with Soju.

A lot of Asian airports (HKG, BKK, SIN etc. but NRT = 100% NO WAY!!), especially HKG, when it was first opened- Offical Press Release stated that it will take longer than 30 min from the moment you step off the plane, go through immigration, wait for your luggage and then through custom. That is assuming 350+ pax in a B747 and peak hrs.

If you are in F/C, no checked in luggage (or priority luggages) and being a local resident, I wouldn't be surprise to make it in 10 mins. I made it many times personally.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:14 pm

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
Originally Posted by kinchai
10 min is very reasonable I have to agree with Soju.

A lot of Asian airports (HKG, BKK, SIN etc. but NRT = 100% NO WAY!!), especially HKG, when it was first opened- Offical Press Release stated that it will take longer than 30 min from the moment you step off the plane, go through immigration, wait for your luggage and then through custom. That is assuming 350+ pax in a B747 and peak hrs.

If you are in F/C, no checked in luggage (or priority luggages) and being a local resident, I wouldn't be surprise to make it in 10 mins. I made it many times personally.
It all depends on the gate you arrive at. If it is one of the far ones it could be cutting is short to bank on 10 minutes....All in from aircraft on blocks to you exiting customs hall without stoping more than a few minutes at immigration can take up to 25 minutes from the furthest gate. (500+m)
If yoiu are lucky to arrive at any D gates 10 minutes is possible.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Rampo
I don't have my notes with me now, but my fastest times are from Gate C1 something like 8 minutes, from a bused gate something like 6 minutes, which is the time according to my stopwatch from stepping off the plane to exiting customs at Gate B. The 6 minute time was probably just a fluke as the bus closed the door and departed almost immediately after I stepped in, and took only a bit over 1 minute from the plane to the bus arrival gate next to immigration. Another time I think from Gate C4 or C5 it was about 12 minutes, but I stopped for a minute or two along the way to gawk.

Yes, I do walk a very brisk rate and in combination with using the moving walkways, passing other passengers as necessary, means the time from Gate C1 to immigration is only about 5 minutes, with a couple more minutes from the furthest gate. Of course when I have Mrs. Soju in tow, I have to walk at a more moderate pace. Average time arriving on domestic flights is well over 10 minutes, with I think only one time being under 10 minutes. The longer times for domestic arrivals is due to Mrs. Soju, plus sometimes arriving on Concourse A where there is no moving walkway to take you towards baggage claim until you get to the shopping area, or if bused the domestic bus trip is longer than the international bus trip.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fenstere
Do we stand a chance of making this?
I'd say that unless your flight from JFK is ~ 30 min. early that you would not be able to make the connection.

According to the PG schedule for 2 Jan 2007, it looks like there are a lot of flights.

PG177 18:00 19:30 ATR 72 0 TQJ
PG183 18:30 20:00 ATR 72 0 TQJ
PG181 19:00 20:05 Boeing 717 0 MTWQFJS
PG5133 20:10 21:10 Boeing 717 0 TWJ
PG5139 19:55 21:25 ATR 72 0 TWJ
PG5161 20:00 21:30 ATR 72 0 TWJ
PG195 20:30 22:00 ATR 72 0 MTWQFJS
PG199 21:40 22:40 Boeing 717 0 MTWQFJS

If you can't confirm/ticket something from 7 PM onwards now then clear Immigration and Customs, proceed up (two levels) to level 4, check-in row F and try to get a flight on the spot.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Timed arrival run

Just flew BKK-SIN-BKK for fun (and 2 x 1078 miles). On arrival at BKK I noted the times as I walked (very quickly) with the following results (all times UTC 13 Dec 06):

06h55: wheels touch on rwy 01R BKK
06h59: stopped at gate C8 (groan - a long walk)
07h04: out of aircraft and on airbridge connected to C8
07h07: at Intersection of Concourses C, D, B, and A (international airside)
07h11: standing in line for Immigration (90 seconds, but a bit of rounding needed)
07h13: standing at belt, but no bags so went for Stabucks to awaiy next leg of miniMR (BKK-PHS-BKK)

So, 10mins with a super stride and one laptop bag. more like 15mins strolling and chatting at least. Plus add baggage waiti time....15-25 mins....

Cheers, TK
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:53 am

is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that as you walk from concourse C to immigration, when you take the left turn you have to squeeze through a very narrow gap between a pillar or staircase, and the escalators for the floor above?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: None Whatsoever
Originally Posted by Soju
I don't have my notes with me now, but my fastest times are from Gate C1 something like 8 minutes, from a bused gate something like 6 minutes, which is the time according to my stopwatch from stepping off the plane to exiting customs at Gate B.
Stopwatch?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Just flew BKK-SIN-BKK for fun (and 2 x 1078 miles). On arrival at BKK I noted the times as I walked (very quickly) with the following results (all times UTC 13 Dec 06):

06h55: wheels touch on rwy 01R BKK
06h59: stopped at gate C8 (groan - a long walk)
07h04: out of aircraft and on airbridge connected to C8
07h07: at Intersection of Concourses C, D, B, and A (international airside)
07h11: standing in line for Immigration (90 seconds, but a bit of rounding needed)
07h13: standing at belt, but no bags so went for Stabucks to awaiy next leg of miniMR (BKK-PHS-BKK)

So, 10mins with a super stride and one laptop bag. more like 15mins strolling and chatting at least. Plus add baggage waiti time....15-25 mins....

Cheers, TK
Looks like your times and my times from the gates are about identical. Must be we have the same stride. Maybe we'll have to have a contest and see who can hold the record for the best time from plane to exit.

With regards to the OP, being he said "We don't check bags, are experienced travelers, and move through airports quickly." I think 10 to 15 minutes time from exiting the plane to exiting customs is a reasonable time unless he gets lost or there's longer immigrations queues than normal. Add to that 5 minutes to get up to the PG check-in counter and you have a total time of 15 to 20 minutes.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Hi Ed. YGPM

PG brought 3 more flights with availability for Jan 3 !!! Hurry bevore they are sold out !

PG5139 Y7 M7 K7 Q7 T7 V7 B7 /BKK USM 1955 2125 E0/AT7 NEW 1:30

PG5161 Y7 M7 K7 Q7 T7 V7 B7 /BKK USM 2000 2130 E0/AT7 NEW 1:30

PG5133 Y7 M7 K7 Q7 T7 V7 B7 /BKK USM 2010 2110 E0/717 NEW 1:00

last time, when I arrived the new airport it was a real pain !
It took at least 15 minutes walk from the gate ( and I was under the first 5 leaving the plane ) until the departure gate ( to Phuket ) I not needed to immigrate in BKK !
In Dong Muang I did it more than once from the planes door until the taxi at the arrival in just 10 minutes ! ( incl. fasttrack immigration ) . from there for 50 THB to the domestic terminal by taxi, and another 10 minutues and I was back airside.

Last edited by bertheike; Dec 16, 2006 at 7:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.