Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK > HKT, pay C, fly F - how is it done?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG Gold, NW Gold and various other bits of plastic...
Question BKK > HKT, pay C, fly F - how is it done?

I've seen a few people mention here that on certain domestic routes, it is possible to get seated in the F class section on a C class ticket. What is the best way to arrange this?

We (me, Mrs grahamb and grahamb jr) will be going to Phuket so I'm looking at our flight options from BKK. I know the flight is short but it would be nice to do it in F class. Which flights have 3-class aircraft? Does the fact that I'm TG Gold and Mrs grahamb is TG Silver help our chances of getting seats in F? Would it be better to book grahamb jr as an infant or on a child seat? He's young enough to go as an infant but too big for a bassinet though this is not a problem for such a short flight.

Thanks in advance for any advice ^
Old May 18, 2006, 9:23 pm

Programs: *wood Gold; US Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by grahamb
I've seen a few people mention here that on certain domestic routes, it is possible to get seated in the F class section on a C class ticket. What is the best way to arrange this?
Last time I looked -- 5 minutes ago -- there was no F service between BKK and HKT. Indeed, I don't believe that there is any domestic F service within Thailand.
Old May 18, 2006, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by rmitchel
Last time I looked -- 5 minutes ago -- there was no F service between BKK and HKT.
Correct.

However I believe that the gentleman is asking who gets the F seating on these domestic 2-class flights operated with the 3-class planes, rather than how to purchase a ticket sold as F.

My experience as a *G with another airline is that the check-in staff gave us seats in F section without any prompting, we were flying on C tix.
Old May 18, 2006, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
grahamb. I've done this - and it was gooooood!

you need to select a flight that is either 744 (new F/C) or 747. Book C class, and check-in early because you can't secure advance seat booking for domestic TG. As TG Gold, you stand a good chance (by yourself), with the odds reducing as the party size increases. Suggest you take Jr as a 'carry-on' infant in Mum's lap.

Enjoy.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stewardo
Correct.

However I believe that the gentleman is asking who gets the F seating on these domestic 2-class flights operated with the 3-class planes, rather than how to purchase a ticket sold as F.

My experience as a *G with another airline is that the check-in staff gave us seats in F section without any prompting, we were flying on C tix.
Yes, that's what I'm looking for; sorry for not being clearer in the original post.

Thanks Thai-Kiwi for the info. If it's that simple, I'm off to price up some C class tickets...
Old May 18, 2006, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Always simple in theory.... Just be aware that there is always a chance that the flight you've booked changes from the 744 you thought it was to a rattly old AB6 .... or that there are 9 other TG Gold members ahead of you ...... but enjoy anyway, whatever happens.

Good luck!
Old May 18, 2006, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Just be aware that there is always a chance that the flight you've booked changes from the 744 you thought it was to a rattly old AB6 ....
Yes, that's the risk with this scheme...

C class tickets are pricing about B2000 more than Y class on the days we're interested in flying so I think it's probably worth the gamble. The only problem is the 744/747 flights are at times that are not 100% suitable for grahamb jr... Decisions, decisions!
Old May 19, 2006, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
As a *G I have always arranged this at check in, by just asking the question "are there any seats available in the F section". So far on the right aircraft types I have a 100% hit rate. Bear in mind that some PAX travel all the way to HKT on this service so there is not necessarily a full complement of seats availabe (even if the F PAX have to disembark and re-embark at BKK).

In general you get little in TG C other than access to fairly mediocre lounges (free wi-fi in BKK) a light snack and soft drinks. For the difference in price however I think C is well worth it.
Old May 19, 2006, 4:28 am
Suspended

Even as *gold I always get the F section between HKT and BKK. Key is 1 to get there a couple hrs before and ASK..

Watch out though, last week they switched in a old A330 on me!
Old May 19, 2006, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Just thinking more about this... What about online check-in? Is it possible to do that (at least for BKK > HKT) and then select seats in the F section? It shouldn't be a problem to get to the airport early but I'd prefer to be able to select the seats in advance if that's possible. (I know I can't get pre-assigned seats on domestic flights)
Old May 19, 2006, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by grahamb
Just thinking more about this... What about online check-in? Is it possible to do that (at least for BKK > HKT) and then select seats in the F section? It shouldn't be a problem to get to the airport early but I'd prefer to be able to select the seats in advance if that's possible. (I know I can't get pre-assigned seats on domestic flights)
Actually I have been able to preassign seats by speaking to TG reservations in the UK in the past but tend not to bother these days. I also think you can preassign seats if you complete booking onine (but this may be only international flights).

I have never used online check-in so cannot comment, I thought it was only available to TG FF scheme members (perhaps I should get myother half to check in in future ).
Old May 19, 2006, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Originally Posted by mtacchi
Even as *gold I always get the F section between HKT and BKK. Key is 1 to get there a couple hrs before and ASK..
The key is to check-in online 24 hours prior and choose it yourself! Even as non TG you can have alogin which allows you to then do OLCI.
Old May 20, 2006, 1:21 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
I have never seen the F section open for OLCI. Always got it at the airport though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.