Wiki Posts
Search

Riding on Top: Boeing 747 run

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot BONUS, UA Mileage Plus, VG Flying Club
Question Riding on Top: Boeing 747 run

Okay, I am planning to fly Chiang Mai (CNX) to BKK, via Thai Air, on one of their 747-400 flights. I notice that the seats maps show that Executive Class is located on the upper deck of the 747. So, if I buy Executive Class instead of Economy for that flight, I will be riding on top, right?

Or does Thai Air shift its metal around whenever it feels like it?
Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Explorer8939
Okay, I am planning to fly Chiang Mai (CNX) to BKK, via Thai Air, on one of their 747-400 flights. I notice that the seats maps show that Executive Class is located on the upper deck of the 747. So, if I buy Executive Class instead of Economy for that flight, I will be riding on top, right?

Or does Thai Air shift its metal around whenever it feels like it?
If you fly on the 744 in domestic business and have any status, you are quite likely to get a seat in the F cabin.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
The 747-400 has executive class on the upper deck as well as the lower deck. If you want to get a seat on the upper deck you should request this when you make the booking. If not you might get stuck in the lower deck on the right side which has no windows!
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:45 pm

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
If the flight is very busy all sections will be used (F, C upper and C main)
If very light, only C main will be used.
You ned to gte to the airport fairly early to increase your chances of an upper seat if upper used that day.
TG very seldom switch aircraft AFAIK
Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JackR
TG very seldom switch aircraft AFAIK
It does happen, happened to me 2 out of eight flights. I specifically booked an MD-11(still have yet to fly one!) flight out of Chiang Mai, and was swapped to A300. Also, specifically booked a A330 out of BKK to Chiang Mai, and was downgraded to a 737!

Does the 747 fly BKK-CNX-BKK, or BKK-CNX-XXX XXX-CNX-BKK? If the loads are light, and it flies BKK-CNX-BKK, the OP might be open for an equipment swap
Old Jan 23, 2005, 2:58 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus, TG ROP, BA EC, QR Privilege Club, SQ Krisflyer
Tg 744

I fly BKK/CNX quite regularly, often on the 744. In my experience the upper deck has always been closed and C pax seated in the lower deck business cabin.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot BONUS, UA Mileage Plus, VG Flying Club
Originally Posted by rhodeswood
I fly BKK/CNX quite regularly, often on the 744. In my experience the upper deck has always been closed and C pax seated in the lower deck business cabin.
Are the seats in C on the right side lower deck really without a window?
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Yes!
The seating config for C on the lower deck on TG's 747 is 2 aisle 2. The right hand side "window" seats have no window as that side of the aircraft is taken up by a huge galley!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.