Wiki Posts
Search

Underwhelming BKK-LHR Flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2023, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
Underwhelming BKK-LHR Flight

So, I have not flown TG for quite a while but their flight schedule fit our purpose recently and the price was right in C. I must say, I was pretty underwhelmed and am in no hurry to get back to choosing them on routes I fly.
  1. Booking was extremely annoying. Couldn't select seats because it was under 48 hours from departure, I think it was like 46 hours from departure when we booked. Calling got the same response. Of course meal could not be selected either. I think 48 hours is a bit ridiculous.
  2. Check in at BKK is great. You really can't beat this aspect of the service if you are flying in Biz or First class. No wait to check in and fast track security is right there.
  3. We use the SQ lounge so can't comment on the TG lounge offering these days but in walking by the lounges, they did not look completely overrun. This was a 1.20PM departure so not the busiest time though.
  4. Departure was delayed and the reason did not make sense. They said it was so they could clean the aircraft that was delayed arrival. Flightradar24 showed the aircraft arrived from ZRH at around 6AM. The delay was not impactful to us but found the reasoning to be not accurate.
  5. The seat on this 777-300ER was "ok". It was not the most modern seat but it was comfortable enough. It does look dark and dated in the cabin though.
  6. Entertainment was some of the worst. Very limited selections compared to other carriers. I knew the screen would be an older style but hoped for more options on a 13 hour flight.
  7. Service was odd. They had printed menus which was nice and offered three meal offerings. A first meal, second meal and a selection of any time dining options. The offerings seemed ok except on this day the anytime offerings had some sort or prawn and I am allergic to shellfish. I didn't think that would be a big deal but it was. I didn't realize they would server the second meal offering just a few hours after the first! Way to soon and I wasn't hungry at all. So, the reaming 6.5 hours of the flight, there was absolutely no service. Nothing. I did ring the call bell once to get at least a soft drink, nobody came so I went to the second galley and nobody but eventually found someone in the front galley. They all seemed busy changing their clothes.
I am guessing the service interval was set for the body clocks of the departure city but that doesn't make sense to me. We arrived at about 7.35PM and I would think a lot of people would want to stay awake so they could sleep a few hours after arrival as opposed to sleeping the entire remaining portion of the flight and then possibly having difficulty sleeping on arrival. Also, a meal before landing would be much more convenient for people. I would think the FA's would at least make some rounds during the last 6.5 hours of the flight but I am serious, they didn't. I definitely will not be encouraged to choose TG again based on this experience. I never thought I would say this, but our experience on AA the next day LHR-PHL blew away TG''s performance.
restlessinRNO, Kacee and chris63 like this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
...but their flight schedule fit our purpose recently and the price was right in C.
Thanks for the report. Interesting, and I'l be interested to compare when I am flying SYD-BKK-LHR//FRA-BKK-MEL in J next year. The service schedule/timing does sound odd.

Per the quote, ​​​you selected on schedule and price - as many will do. Presumably you were aware of other options, but what you described is clearly below par.

I suspect you just unfortunately just 'lucked out' - which can happen with almost any carrier.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 12:10 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
i did BKK LHR in F earlier this year and it was an excellent experience except selection of movies but it has improved since...
I also flew two times another route to Europe in C during last 12 months and everything was good.

you should have chosen the night flight to LHR, where they use the very new 777-300ER; the older version for day flight

there would also not have been any problems with your meal selection and they serve dinner after departure and breakfast 2 hours before arrival and between you can get snacks anytime
on dayflights to Europe, you have also a peculiar food concept on other carriers...
Old Nov 26, 2023, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Thanks for the report. Interesting, and I'l be interested to compare when I am flying SYD-BKK-LHR//FRA-BKK-MEL in J next year. The service schedule/timing does sound odd.

Per the quote, ​​​you selected on schedule and price - as many will do. Presumably you were aware of other options, but what you described is clearly below par.

I suspect you just unfortunately just 'lucked out' - which can happen with almost any carrier.
It was a last minute booking so beggars can’t be choosers. I would have preferred EVA but they were $1k more on this one way trip booked at about 2 days out, TG was about $1600 and BR was about $2600. Given our needs and the price, I would still have selected this flight. I think you are right, I hit a bad patch that could have been on any carrier. I just had memories of much better experiences over the years.

Originally Posted by BinSabai
i did BKK LHR in F earlier this year and it was an excellent experience except selection of movies but it has improved since...
I also flew two times another route to Europe in C during last 12 months and everything was good.

you should have chosen the night flight to LHR, where they use the very new 777-300ER; the older version for day flight

there would also not have been any problems with your meal selection and they serve dinner after departure and breakfast 2 hours before arrival and between you can get snacks anytime
on dayflights to Europe, you have also a peculiar food concept on other carriers...
That is good to know. I did want to take the flight that you mentioned but we had dinner with family the night before and wasn’t sure we could get to the airport on time. Sounds like it would have been a better experience on multiple levels.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Yes. TG910 are operated by a 77W that are 1-2 year old and TG916 are operated by 77W that are 8-10 year old. That’s a big difference.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by flyerby
Yes. TG910 are operated by a 77W that are 1-2 year old and TG916 are operated by 77W that are 8-10 year old. That’s a big difference.
OS fly aircraft that are 26 years old from BKK to Europe, what has the age of the Plane got to do with the service failings ?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Biggest factor in TG's favor is the nonstop routing BKK-LHR (with BR the only other nonstop).

TG service post-covid has IME been sub-mediocre, with many FAs who disappear and just don't care. The Thai food is still decent though.
chris63 and Davvidd like this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Biggest factor in TG's favor is the nonstop routing BKK-LHR (with BR the only other nonstop).

TG service post-covid has IME been sub-mediocre, with many FAs who disappear and just don't care. The Thai food is still decent though.
fully agree that during covid and just after, TG was pretty lousy...but it has improved a lot since then, also regarding food an beverage.
Last flight it was almost back to pre-covid

FA try very hard to please and cabin crew is more attentive, friendly and provides a better service than western airlines
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 3:07 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
fully agree that during covid and just after, TG was pretty lousy...but it has improved a lot since then, also regarding food an beverage.

FA try very hard to please and cabin crew is more attentive, friendly and provides a better service than western airlines
Agree - overall, I find that TG has improved quite a lot. I have been pretty happy with the flights I have taken since after covid.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

During the Pandemic TG was a dead Duck …..

Post, all regional carriers J service went down, SQ, CX & onboard TG probably picked up their game faster.

Your Plat so of course you get the best service, as do i on LHG my recent flight into BKK on OS the service was stellar
Old Nov 27, 2023, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Our last flight on TG was DPS-BKK September 2022 and the service was very bad. A young, inexperienced crew who cared about nothing except their hair and their phones. Perhaps it's improved since. We chose SQ instead this year, despite the stop in SIN.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by chris63
OS fly aircraft that are 26 years old from BKK to Europe, what has the age of the Plane got to do with the service failings ?
Where did you get the idea that I was talking about TG service as a whole? I was clearly talking about the level of the hard product. Are you saying that the hard product of 1 year old a/c is the same as the one of an 8/26 year old one?

In addition, how old is the interior of 26 year old OS a/c? Is it 26 years or is it less because it was retrofitted?
Old Nov 27, 2023, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where did you get the idea that I was talking about TG service as a whole? I was clearly talking about the level of the hard product. Are you saying that the hard product of 1 year old a/c is the same as the one of an 8/26 year old one?

In addition, how old is the interior of 26 year old OS a/c? Is it 26 years or is it less because it was retrofitted?
Well you did not say you were only referring to the hard product & yes both TG & OS aircraft have had refits.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Our last flight on TG was DPS-BKK September 2022 and the service was very bad. A young, inexperienced crew who cared about nothing except their hair and their phones. Perhaps it's improved since. We chose SQ instead this year, despite the stop in SIN.
sorry to hear your bad experience; did not happen ever to me during hundreds of TG flights...
and yes I feel they improved a lot during the last 15 months
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:30 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
They also have on the worst OTPs in Thailand but with the fiasco of NOK recently they may have taken over now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.