Search

How to purchase preferred seats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2023, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
How to purchase preferred seats

Hi everyone,

I have an upcoming flight on TG and I want to select preferred seats. When I click to add additional services and select seats, it has all the preferred seats with x and cannot be selected - only the free seats. Any tips on how to get it to allow me to purchase preferred seats?

Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
you would need to give more details like F, C or Y and fare class and whether international or domestic
in Y lower fare classes are excluded from commonly preferred class and lowest fare classes only get seats at the rear end....
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:48 am
Original Poster

I am in economy (fare class T). I am fine to pay for the preferred seats, but it doesn’t even give me that option. Is this because I’m in a low fare class?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by yonajon
I am in economy (fare class T). I am fine to pay for the preferred seats, but it doesn’t even give me that option. Is this because I’m in a low fare class?
Seats marked X are not available and withheld either by load control or have been sold. Seats marked with a ‘star’ are available for purchase.

It seems Exit Rows may be withheld, but Bulkhead available for sale. It’s not that clear!

We are in row 32 as Mrs TK like to stick her bag under the seat in front, and is a bit short to reach the overhead locker!

Further down the back, Row 48 ABC and HJK are unoccupied but blocked ((X), but 48 DEF can be our purchased. The different view from ExpertFlyer and TG’s app.

BinSabai likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 23, 2023 at 11:39 am
Old Nov 24, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
If you're using UA miles for booking on Thai Airways, can you pick (or pay for a seat) in the "Row pitch: 34" (ABC/HJK at rows 31 to 43)" area? Flight will be A350-900 BKK-MNL.

There are two versions. One version has the following notes on Aerolopa. I don't know which version it will be. Will both versions have a 34" seat pitch in the ABC/HJK rows 31 to 43?

Thank you.

Economy
301 Recaro CL3710 seats arranged in a 3-3-3 configuration across two cabins.
Seat width: 17.2"
Recline: 120°
Row pitch: 34" (ABC/HJK at rows 31 to 43); 32" (DEG at rows 32 to 49); 31" elsewhere
11.7" HD touchscreen display
Universal AC and USB-A sockets

Last edited by opus2002; Nov 24, 2023 at 3:39 pm
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by opus2002
If you're using UA miles for booking on Thai Airways, can you pick (or pay for a seat) in the "Row pitch: 34" (ABC/HJK at rows 31 to 43)" area? Flight will be A350-900 BKK-MNL.

There are two versions. One version has the following notes on Aerolopa. I don't know which version it will be. Will both versions have a 34" seat pitch in the ABC/HJK rows 31 to 43?

Thank you.

Not sure… You may be able to be allocated a seat in the forward cabin, but certainly row 31 is withheld.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Not sure… You may be able to be allocated a seat in the forward cabin, but certainly row 31 is withheld.
Wife would prefer to put carry on under the seat in front, so row 31 isn't an option. But, I'll be happy to take other rows. I tried a cash booking (without actually booking the flight), just to see the seat selection. It won't let me pick the rows before 50. I wonder if rows 31 to 49 would be much more empty than 50 to 65 (last section of plane).
Old Nov 25, 2023, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by opus2002
Wife would prefer to put carry on under the seat in front, so row 31 isn't an option. But, I'll be happy to take other rows. I tried a cash booking (without actually booking the flight), just to see the seat selection. It won't let me pick the rows before 50. I wonder if rows 31 to 49 would be much more empty than 50 to 65 (last section of plane).
The dummy booking you made would have been for a cheaper fare, hence only being able to access the rear seat map.

Don’t try and overthink where in the aircraft it might be full! The only thing you can say is that those who purchased more expensive fares have access to the full seatmap. Where they might elect to sit is impossible to predict…
opus2002 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 8:32 am
Original Poster

So is the issue I am facing because I bought a low fare class (T)? Again, I'm fine to pay for the preferred seats, but it won't even let me select them.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yonajon
So is the issue I am facing because I bought a low fare class (T)? Again, I'm fine to pay for the preferred seats, but it won't even let me select them.
No, T class fate is semi flexible. It is most likely because the seats are withheld by TG for allocation by Load Control, or they have already been sold. Possibly available at T-24 online if not sold.

You could always just contact ThAI (by phone) and ask.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 2:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

How to select the seat if you can't edit traveler information?
Trying to select seats in business class for flight on TG. When I put the Thai record locator it tells me

4 warnings

Warning
  • Your updated "CONTACT INFORMATION" is required before adding any service(s). Please click "Modify traveller details" below to process
  • Your updated "CONTACT INFORMATION" is required before adding any service(s). Please click "Modify traveller details" below to process
  • To change your flight(s)/date(s) of travel, please contact the THAI office at your point of departure or your travel agent (if the booking was made through a third party).

I go to the Contact information, I can add passport numbers for my wife and myself, the only thing I cannot edit is Mr. or Mrs. which is greyed out and it tells me that this field is mandatory. Without that I can't go to the next tab which is Services.

At Services I see: For purchased add-ons such as Preferred Seat / Additional baggage and Etc. If passenger need to change any (the date, the flight, the seat) please contact THAI worldwide office or THAI Contact Center (+66-2-3561111)

So I can't add services if I can't add Contact Info and the catch 22 is closing again on itself...
Old Dec 29, 2023, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bwiadca
How to select the seat if you can't edit traveler information?
Trying to select seats in business class for flight on TG. When I put the Thai record locator it tells me

4 warnings

Warning
  • To change your flight(s)/date(s) of travel, please contact the THAI office at your point of departure or your travel agent (if the booking was made through a third party).

I go to the Contact information, I can add passport numbers for my wife and myself, the only thing I cannot edit is Mr. or Mrs. which is greyed out and it tells me that this field is mandatory. Without that I can't go to the next tab which is Services.

At Services I see: For purchased add-ons such as Preferred Seat / Additional baggage and Etc. If passenger need to change any (the date, the flight, the seat) please contact THAI worldwide office or THAI Contact Center (+66-2-3561111)

So I can't add services if I can't add Contact Info and the catch 22 is closing again on itself...

You need to go Services, then Additional Services (yellow bell symbol), then Seat Select.

Then select your seat, and then continue to save and then exit. I did this for my brother a few weeks ago.

Try using the app or another *A website (like SAS or LH).

bwiadca likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If I'm on a low fare class (V) that excludes advanced selection of seats in the forward cabin (aircraft type is 788), will I be able to select those seats at OLCI?
Old Dec 30, 2023, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
If I'm on a low fare class (V) that excludes advanced selection of seats in the forward cabin (aircraft type is 788), will I be able to select those seats at OLCI?
Probably not. Best chance is at physical check-in.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 5:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'll try with the app. I can't do it on United's app as it tells me that the flight is operated by partner airline.
Thanks
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.