Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIQ out of CNX via BKK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:02 am
Original Poster

CIQ out of CNX via BKK

Hi, does anyone here have experience processing CIQ out of CNX to Europe via BKK?

What is the minimum connection time in BKK for THAI/Thai Smile flights into BKK and out?

Once in BKK, would it be possible to go out of the airport while leaving the baggages checked and transferred to the intercontinental flight?

Thank you.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:42 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Why would you go via CIQ if you intend to go out of the airport at BKK? Check in regularly and just sent your baggage to your final destination.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 5:46 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
if you check in at the international departure desks in CNX, you will get the CIQ sticker and go through immigration in CNX; you are not allowed to exit in BKK, but go though transit security directly into the international departure area
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerby
Why would you go via CIQ if you intend to go out of the airport at BKK? Check in regularly and just sent your baggage to your final destination.
Can I check through the baggage at CNX to final destination without CIQ?
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ctecha
Can I check through the baggage at CNX to final destination without CIQ?
Do you have one ticket or two? If BKK-Europe is a separate ticket, it needs to be a Star Alliance flight for Thai Smile in CNX to check your bags through to your final destination.

Edited to add: ctecha - Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Do you have one ticket or two? If BKK-Europe is a separate ticket, it needs to be a Star Alliance flight for Thai Smile in CNX to check your bags through to your final destination.

Edited to add: ctecha - Welcome to FlyerTalk.
agreed, but his question was whether they would check through luggage, if he checks in for CNX BKK as domestic flight without CIQ, which i doubt will be accepted...
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:36 am

Go to international departure, check your luggage all the way to ex-Thailand and get the mandatory CIQ sticker on your shirt at check-in. Take off the CIQ sticker and go back to domestic departure, proceeded as for a normal domestic departure (i.e., showing my ticket to BKK and not passing emigration control in CNX. You will have to do it in BKK when going back airside of course).

I did like that since domestic departure check-in refused to through check my luggage ex-Thailand and I sometimes had a long wait for my connecting flight, and did not want to hang out at the airport waiting.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
Go to international departure, check your luggage all the way to ex-Thailand and get the mandatory CIQ sticker on your shirt at check-in. Take off the CIQ sticker and go back to domestic departure, proceeded as for a normal domestic departure (i.e., showing my ticket to BKK and not passing emigration control in CNX. You will have to do it in BKK when going back airside of course).

I did like that since domestic departure check-in refused to through check my luggage ex-Thailand and I sometimes had a long wait for my connecting flight, and did not want to hang out at the airport waiting.
did you have to pay airport tax when you went back airside in BKK?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
Why do you think someone would have to pay airport tax with this kind of schedule in BKK? It’s not the same as international transfer in BKK where the pax are not expected to leave airside.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by flyerby
Why do you think someone would have to pay airport tax with this kind of schedule in BKK? It’s not the same as international transfer in BKK where the pax are not expected to leave airside.
Well, probably the BKK departure tax will not have been paid in this case of departing from HKT, so if subsequently exiting at BKK and then turning up again later it possibly could be levied.

Happened rarely in the ‘old days’, but some were pinged and then whinged about it…
BinSabai likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Well, probably the BKK departure tax will not have been paid in this case of departing from HKT, so if subsequently exiting at BKK and then turning up again later it possibly could be levied.

Happened rarely in the ‘old days’, but some were pinged and then whinged about it…
exactly my thoughts
on one ticket, with domestic leg and international leg, airport tax is only included for airport of first departure (HKT) as you stay airside in BKK; if you go landside, airport tax in BKK is also due
Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:47 am

Airport tax is also only collected once when transiting in BKK on 2 domestic flights. Are you suggesting that pax are required to stay “airside” in this case too?
Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:22 am

Isn't that tax included in your ticket when you buy it?

In Bangkok I just proceeded as for a normal departure, except I already had my printed boarding pass from CNX, so no need to go to the check-in counter at Suv. Not sure if this new tax would change anything, but since I did not pay it when exiting BKK in September (not via CNX), I'm assuming the tax is included in the ticket price already.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
Isn't that tax included in your ticket when you buy it?

In Bangkok I just proceeded as for a normal departure, except I already had my printed boarding pass from CNX, so no need to go to the check-in counter at Suv. Not sure if this new tax would change anything, but since I did not pay it when exiting BKK in September (not via CNX), I'm assuming the tax is included in the ticket price already.
BKK airport tax is not included, if you have a ticket with transit in BKK as they assume, that you stay airside
Old Nov 14, 2023, 2:59 am

BKK airport tax is not included, if you have a ticket with transit in BKK as they assume, that you stay airside
Well, in that case my answer will have to be that I don't know if this will work as problem free as before the new airport tax.
I'm guessing it will still work as before, but that's because I'm guessing the system is set up so that it's the airlines responsibility to collect the tax, and no further checking after that is done.

Perhaps OP can update us after his trip, which would be a nice change from others who just ask questions but never come back to contribute anything.
BinSabai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.