Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

THAI operates biz class on A320 with 'Euro-style' empty middle seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2023, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

Looking at possible travel in Mar next year I noted AirNZ were offering business class connection SIN-BKK on TG's A320.

I took a closer look on ExpertFlyer, and then a dummy booking on THAI. TG offers business class with a note saying it is the 'Euro-style' empty seat between pax. The image is quite misleading!

Service will be interesting compared to wide-bodies.

Old Sep 10, 2023, 2:35 pm

Good news for SQ I should think.
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view
Good news for SQ I should think.
All the other TG flights BKK-SIN are widebodies. Don’ty know if this is permanent for this route.

Main point was earlier speculation on how they’d do regional biz class with TG absorbing WE in October….
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:16 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
well they are taking over WE and are now selling the premium economy seats of WE as business... on a competitive route like BKK SIN not acceptable, maybe on domestic or less popular routes where not much alternatives...
Thai-Kiwi and chris63 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
well they are taking over WE and are now selling the premium economy seats of WE as business... on a competitive route like BKK SIN not acceptable, maybe on domestic or less popular routes where not much alternatives...
Perhaps there is no economic case for PE on this route? Although this seems even worse than ScootBiz (whatever it is actually called) which is on a 789?
Old Sep 10, 2023, 11:47 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Well, if the service concept is identical to "normal" TG C class, then I would like to think that people can survive two hours in a "Euro-style" Business Class. Sure, I would choose a wide-body if I could, but ultimately if the service concept does not change, then should be fine

I wonder if they will start using adjustable cabin sizes though? - It always surprised me that WE never did, and yet kept the 3-3 seating with middle blocked. Surely, it should have economic benefits to start adjusting the cabin size as per demand.
trooper and NoY like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Well, if the service concept is identical to "normal" TG C class, then I would like to think that people can survive two hours in a "Euro-style" Business Class. Sure, I would choose a wide-body if I could, but ultimately if the service concept does not change, then should be fine
For me and even for you as you said it mildly, a business class seat is a major factor in choosing a flight. I find myself repeatedly searching and choosing lie-flat seat over non-recliners and non-recliners over Euro-business even for a 2 hour flight.
GalaxyChris and pandalama like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby
For me and even for you as you said it mildly, a business class seat is a major factor in choosing a flight. I find myself repeatedly searching and choosing lie-flat seat over non-recliners and non-recliners over Euro-business even for a 2 hour flight.
well, it probably depends, what people are used to....within Europe there is hardly any real business seat available anymore on any routes...as middle seat free on economy class seats is standard at many airlines....
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
well, it probably depends, what people are used to....within Europe there is hardly any real business seat available anymore on any routes...as middle seat free on economy class seats is standard at many airlines....
I don’t think it’s about what people are used to. In general, at the same price, people would go for Euro J over Y and lie-flat seat over Euro Y. For example, there many connecting passengers who would prefer to go with TK, QR, EY, EK, etc. over other Euro carriers such as LH, LX, etc. when traveling in J only for this reason when the price is almost the same.
So in the European case. It not about getting used to but the lack of options.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Another "innovative" idea by TG.
WHen there is no other options (like in Europe), then the concept works.
But in Asia, it will a difficult sell on competitive routes. Almost no recline, narrow seat, no entertainment system (?).
But a true J seat, even in the cheap regional CX version takes much more space than one Y row.
Even CX is introducing the new A320 on the BKK route, but it has a regional business seat. Basically 3 Y rows for 8 J seats, not 2 Y rows for TG J seats (i.e. empty middle seat).
Old Oct 16, 2023, 2:19 pm

I mean even those ugly Bangkok Airways biz seats they use sometimes for Samui routes seem to be sexy now compared to this euro style biz

Someone did point out to me that Thai Airways markets these seats as “Silk Class” and not Royal Silk. Still cant seem to verify this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I had the fortune of flying this today, so happy to lay out what my A320 TG J experience consisted of BKK-SGN:

- Usual TG J check-in area, priority security, and immigration

- Usual TG J Lounge

- Bus gate -- priority boarding but feeds into same overcrowded bus with Y pax. Only the center bus doors were opened at the plane, so many of the J / status pax who boarded first and consequently filled the ends of the bus were last to actually board the plane.

- Bins were full and many J bins were occupied by Y pax who got off the bus and thus board first, crew had to move crew bags to the galley to cram in J pax bags.

- Regular economy seat, middle seat blocked off, limited recline. Note sure if the lady in front of me was dancing or the seat is just jiggly, but the seat in front kept rocking back and bumping my knees throughout the flight.

- Thin blanket, pillow, and bottle of water at seat upon boarding.

- No pre-departure beverage (other than that bottle of water).

- Meal order taken prior to departure alongside choice of beverage. No menus. (Option to preorder online.) Also advised of flight time.

- Meal service around 40 minutes after take-off, tray collected 20 minutes thereafter. Drinks served on tray alongside a bag of cashews and the full meal, no refills. Coffee/tea cup on tray but none offerred unless it was your selected beverage. Catering was pretty good.

- No hot/cold towel service.

- No wifi, no entertainment.

I have low expectations for such a short flight, but TG blew me away flying KUL-BKK on the A350 with a solid hard product AND soft product (multiple towel services, pre-departure beverage, refills, plated nuts served with beverage before meal, offer of coffee after meal, friendly touch, etc), in many respects with more attentive service than even long-haul SQ, so it's worth noting the TG A320 "J" experience IS a noticeable downgrade to both the hard and soft product. In fact the added benefit of sitting in Y would be getting your beverage sooner than anyone in the J cabin, since the J folks have to wait for their beef to overcook before they can get a cold drink.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:59 pm

PDB is a matter of airport of departure and not aircraft....
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:17 pm

PDB is a matter of airport of departure and not aircraft....
This was ex-BKK. As a point of contrast, on Dec 20, also flying ex-BKK (BKK-KMG), I received PDB and towel service pre-departure on a 772.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
This was ex-BKK. As a point of contrast, on Dec 20, also flying ex-BKK (BKK-KMG), I received PDB and towel service pre-departure on a 772.
sorry I misread this!
that is extraordinary not to get a PDB in J ex BKK!

probably the A320 crews they took over from Thai Smile have not yet adjusted to the new service level....
Nazdoom likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.