Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Reflections of a Paris-Bangkok flight (June 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

I had an overall good flight with Thai from Paris to Bangkok in June 2022.

Some reflections:

1. TG now departs from Terminal 2E - this is the Air France long-haul and non-Schengen terminal. It's a very nice terminal!
2. Check-in had two Business Class and four Economy Class counters open. The process was very slow as they checked visas, vaccinations, Thailand pass in great detail. Business Class check-in seemed to go extremely slowly as just about every passenger in front of us had some issue - several apparently connecting to China.
3. FastTrack through immigration was available although the line attendant seemed unfamiliar with boarding passes other than Air France!
4. Same for FastTrack through security.
5. Thai uses the Air France lounge and your invitation is printed on your boarding pass. Note that no guest access is allowed.

6. The flight was absolutely full.
7. Excellent main meal and breakfast - truly great food. No menu presented however.
8. Beverage service was abysmal. Wine was OK but crew very stingy. No wine list available. Soft drinks were stale - may be stock from pre-Covid days they are using?
9. Very poor choice of in-flight entertainment options. I found hardly anything worth watching.
10. WiFi did not work on the flight - it was a 787 Dreamliner.

11. Arrival in Bangkok very smooth. Very short lines at immigration. Did not even look for FastTrack if it was available. Bags delivered very quickly.

12. Absolutely excellent crew.
Thai-Kiwi and restlessinRNO like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Thanks for the report back. Which version of the 787? The 787-8 or 787-9?

Much better hard biz product on the 789.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Braniff - Thank you for your TR. You were in business class, I assume. Given the problems you note in #8, #9 and #10, you are perhaps being generous describing the flight as “an overall good flight”. 😊
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Thanks for the report back. Which version of the 787? The 787-8 or 787-9?

Much better hard biz product on the 789.
It was the 789.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Braniff - Thank you for your TR. You were in business class, I assume. Given the problems you note in #8, #9 and #10, you are perhaps being generous describing the flight as “an overall good flight”. 😊
Perhaps. I am generally in a very postive state of mind when travelling to Thailand ! 😄
MDOH and restlessinRNO like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:03 am
HAF

Any discussion or indication when they plan to return menus, warm towels, open the rest of the lounges at BKK? I am flying with them in business MUC-BKK-DPS in a couple of months and would be great to know if and when they are gradually returning to full service?

Increasing frequencies, full planes, and steep fares out of Europe justify elevating the game a bit!
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
You were lucky! Last time I was in CDG 2E with TG there was no lounge available - was asked to suck it up!
And catering was really subpar. Glad they corrected course...
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Disinto
You were lucky! Last time I was in CDG 2E with TG there was no lounge available - was asked to suck it up!
And catering was really subpar. Glad they corrected course...
"One swallow a Summer does not make....." as Aristotle wryly observed.

Let's get a few more data points...
NoY likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
"One swallow a Summer does not make....." as Aristotle wryly observed.

Let's get a few more data points...
Indeed. My return flight was not pleasant.

1. The catering was far worse in terms of quality from Bangkok, than from Paris
2. The crew was not proactive in any way - idle and absent may be the best characterization. It was the exact opposite of the experience flying from Paris.
3. It was the same plane - according to FlightRadar - that I flew on the previous week from Paris. The WiFi system had not been fixed during that time.
4. The best was however to come: There was a two-hour wait for baggage delivery to start. There was zero communication during this period and the baggage service desk was unmanned. Incredible. Priority tags were however observed 😀
5. We heard through rumors that the plane had been loaded incorrectly in Bangkok and cargo placed in such a way that it had to be removed specially before luggage delivery could start.

There were many people in the arrivals hall who wowed never to fly Thai again.

Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braniff
Indeed. My return flight was not pleasant.

1. The catering was far worse in terms of quality from Bangkok, than from Paris
2. The crew was not proactive in any way - idle and absent may be the best characterization. It was the exact opposite of the experience flying from Paris.
3. It was the same plane - according to FlightRadar - that I flew on the previous week from Paris. The WiFi system had not been fixed during that time.
4. The best was however to come: There was a two-hour wait for baggage delivery to start. There was zero communication during this period and the baggage service desk was unmanned. Incredible. Priority tags were however observed 😀
5. We heard through rumors that the plane had been loaded incorrectly in Bangkok and cargo placed in such a way that it had to be removed specially before luggage delivery could start.

There were many people in the arrivals hall who wowed never to fly Thai again.
Sorry to hear that. After I use my TG GUP in late Oct, I am unlikely to use TG again. I will be TG*G until Dec 2023, but am working to NZ*G as I am nearly retired and travel patterns will decline sharply in 3 years time.

Such is life. Best, TK
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Braniff - Sorry to hear this. Looks like there is considerable room for improvement here. 😊
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:37 am

I flew Sydney CDG 3 weeks ago on Thai Airways business class , it was my first experience , normally fly Emirates or BA but the prices were crazy and flights full. I was pleasantly surprised. My crew were great , offered champagne before takeoff. The food was outstanding. My glass was kept topped up. The crew kept the toilets clean after each person which never happens on BA . The seats are a bit old but wide and comfortable. The inflight entertainment was a smaller choice than I'm used to but I was able to find something I like . Nothing was too much trouble , I would happily fly with them again .
HAF and BinSabai like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Braniff
I had an overall good flight with Thai from Paris to Bangkok in June 2022.

Some reflections:

1. TG now departs from Terminal 2E - this is the Air France long-haul and non-Schengen terminal. It's a very nice terminal!
2. Check-in had two Business Class and four Economy Class counters open. The process was very slow as they checked visas, vaccinations, Thailand pass in great detail. Business Class check-in seemed to go extremely slowly as just about every passenger in front of us had some issue - several apparently connecting to China.
3. FastTrack through immigration was available although the line attendant seemed unfamiliar with boarding passes other than Air France!
4. Same for FastTrack through security.
5. Thai uses the Air France lounge and your invitation is printed on your boarding pass. Note that no guest access is allowed.

6. The flight was absolutely full.
7. Excellent main meal and breakfast - truly great food. No menu presented however.
8. Beverage service was abysmal. Wine was OK but crew very stingy. No wine list available. Soft drinks were stale - may be stock from pre-Covid days they are using?
9. Very poor choice of in-flight entertainment options. I found hardly anything worth watching.
10. WiFi did not work on the flight - it was a 787 Dreamliner.

11. Arrival in Bangkok very smooth. Very short lines at immigration. Did not even look for FastTrack if it was available. Bags delivered very quickly.

12. Absolutely excellent crew.
I appreciate you posting this as I just had a flight from BKK-FRA on Thai in business class and I was supremely disappointed. Thank God it was a mileage redemption but the whole experience was subpar.

We were on a 777-300ER and the aircraft was extremely tired. Seats had rips and were not in good condition. The food options were OK but not great. Beverage service was mehhhh. The flight attendants always seemed rushed yet took forever for dinner service leaving BKK. They even had rolls in overhead bins! Boarding at BKK was a zoo and also took more than an hour. There was NO WiFi on the flight and the temperature in the cabin was extremely hot - truly uncomfortable. Thai has gone wayyyyyy downhill since I last took them in 2018. I would never pay for a ticket on them. They don't really cover locations than can't be covered by SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.