Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2022, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Denied boarding

I was booked on a flight from Phuket to Manila via Bangkok on 23/1/2022

I was accepted onto the flight for the first leg in Phuket but, after staying overnight in the BKK airport hotel, was refused boarding at the check in desk at 05:30 the following morning due to covid restrictions in Manila.

I was then faced with the choice of either returning to Phuket or staying in Bangkok, both at my own expense.

Whilst I now understand the reasons for the boarding refusal in Bangkok (covid recovery certificate was for Philippinos only), I believe that I should have first of all been denied boarding at Phuket as my journey was booked and paid for as a single ticket. This would have saved me at least THB 10,000 in hotel, food and transportation costs for the following 4 days and nights in Bangkok, after which I was able to continue my journey to Manila (with a negative test)

Do you think I will have any chance claiming compensation for this flight disruption.

Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
A pax is responsible for making sure that he has all proper documents to enter the country (Philippines).
The airline usually checks carefully because they are heavily fined if they allow someone to board "illegally". But in your case that did not happen.
You are caught in a difficult scenario and I feel for you.
TG might offer a goodwill-gesture, but I believe that they are not legally obliged to do it.
BinSabai and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There is close to zero chance that TG will reimburse these expenses. You had wrong Covid documentation to enter PH; that is not the fault of TG. At HKT you checked in for a domestic flight with overnight stay at BKK; I bet you didn't get a C.I.Q sticker to wear and to identify as a pax in transit at BKK? So for the check-in staff at HKT you checked in for a domestic leg only, i.e. there was no obligation to check your Covid documentation for the flight the following day.

I'm sorry, but there is nothing to blame TG for here
kevin111260 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Agree with others, you sadly purely have yourself to blame. HKT-BKK is a domestic flight and your destination for the day was BKK. After your over-night stay you proceed to check in for your international flight which is where the doc check would rightly take place and you were rejected for not meeting the requirements - sorry to say, but nothing to blame TG for here.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:29 am
Suspended

You had wrong Covid documentation to enter PH;
It is my understanding that foreigners are still banned from entering the Philippines, except some special cases.
So no Covid-documentation would have gotten you to Manila in the first place.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by arminschwarm
It is my understanding that foreigners are still banned from entering the Philippines, except some special cases.
but from his location he is not a foreigner
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
There is close to zero chance that TG will reimburse these expenses. You had wrong Covid documentation to enter PH; that is not the fault of TG. At HKT you checked in for a domestic flight with overnight stay at BKK; I bet you didn't get a C.I.Q sticker to wear and to identify as a pax in transit at BKK? So for the check-in staff at HKT you checked in for a domestic leg only, i.e. there was no obligation to check your Covid documentation for the flight the following day.

I'm sorry, but there is nothing to blame TG for here
I agree.
The only case where you might have a small chance for compensation was if TG had checked you and your bags through to MNL and issued a boarding card to MNL. Even then ....
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arminschwarm
Thanks for the reply, but I had a special exemption document to allow me in, so except for the covid problem, I would have got in. In fact I am now in the Philippines, having got a negative covid-19 test.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I agree.
The only case where you might have a small chance for compensation was if TG had checked you and your bags through to MNL and issued a boarding card to MNL. Even then ....
It seems the majority of people think that it was my fault for not having the correct documentation. I understand that, but I claim that TG should have checked that at HKT because I was on a single ticket.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by AndyGFLees
...but I claim that TG should have checked that at HKT because I was on a single ticket.
But as stated above there was no duty of the HKT staff to check your Covid documentation for the flight the following day; you didn't even get the boarding pass for your BKK-MNL flight at HKT. There is no merits to blaming TG for this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by estnet
but from his location he is not a foreigner
Whilst I now understand the reasons for the boarding refusal in Bangkok (covid recovery certificate was for Philippinos only),
With that statement I could only assume that the OP does not hold Philippine citizenship.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by AndyGFLees
It seems the majority of people think that it was my fault for not having the correct documentation. I understand that, but I claim that TG should have checked that at HKT because I was on a single ticket.
I am with the majority here.

You would have been right IF the staff at HKT would have checked you in for both the BKK and MNL flight and checked through your bags.
It seems you only checked in for the BKK flight and the next day checked in at BKK for MNL. In that scenario the staff at HKT would only check your eligibility for what you checked in for which is BKK.

Globalist
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Globalist
I am with the majority here.

You would have been right IF the staff at HKT would have checked you in for both the BKK and MNL flight and checked through your bags.
It seems you only checked in for the BKK flight and the next day checked in at BKK for MNL. In that scenario the staff at HKT would only check your eligibility for what you checked in for which is BKK.

Globalist
Exactly, OP checked in for a domestic flight with destination BKK. That there was an onward flight the next day has nothing to do with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.