Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

50% Gold/Plat Member award available in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

Email from ROP Gold just now. They didn’t answer my query asking if I can book today for flights in 2020 (I expect a “no”, but want to try);

Dear Mr.THAI-KIWI,

The 50% award on THAI is the same.
Platinum and Gold will be entitled to a 50% reduction on roundtrip Award travel on TG operated flights only, in any class of service. Gold members are entitled to this benefit one time, and Platinum members 2 times during 2020.

In the mean time , Royal Orchid Plus would like to wish You and family a Merry Merry Christmas and an Excellent 2020 New Year.

Best regards,
restlessinRNO and anaidross like this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:54 pm

This benefit is never listed for me in the ROP system (it only shows GUP) but would love to know more as well.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
There is never any "official" notification on your account....you need to call ROP Customer Service to use the benefit, or go in to a ticket office.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thaikwai
There is never any "official" notification on your account....you need to call ROP Customer Service to use the benefit, or go in to a ticket office.
So the only information missing is the date from which these can be booked. I have never managed to make a booking any earlier than 03 Jan of any given calendar year.

It is also possible to email THAI to book these, but @Thaikwai’s options are better than emailing
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: TG, SQ, BA, Hilton, Accor, Centara
I managed to do a 50% redemption flight TODAY using the 2020 allowance.
I did the same on 28 December last year using the 2019 allowance.
In both cases expiring miles on 31 December were the reason.
Nothing posted on my ROP account _ I had to make several phone calls and then go to the Bangkok city office.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brown Derby
I managed to do a 50% redemption flight TODAY using the 2020 allowance.
I did the same on 28 December last year using the 2019 allowance.
In both cases expiring miles on 31 December were the reason.
Nothing posted on my ROP account _ I had to make several phone calls and then go to the Bangkok city office.
Thanks. I was emailed yesterday saying we might expect an email mid-Jan. I’ll contact them later today and make my case citing this information (that it is possible at their discretion).

My flights are very near Songkran, and some availability has now gone, leaving me with only a Plan B lol.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So, I am told by both my local office and Bangkok that a mixed-cabin 50% Award is not possible under this unpublished 'benefit'. Nor is a one-way 50% Award possible.

These would be possible using the 'new' awards system, just not for the 50% Gold/Plat Awards. I was told that the flights must be in the same cabin for both sectors, although the Auckland office said mixed award was available but at biz return rates.

Clearly, the rules for these are more restrictive than the 'new' award charts that do allow mixed cabin awards. It' s just a pity that THAI doesn't provide the details (at least at present).

Still, I gotta travel and there are no biz award seats for my return, so economy it is BKK-ICN-BKK. The economy award at THB 3700 is way cheaper than buying a Y ticket (THB 19,700 !).
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Got the e-mail this morning:

Your Platinum Award 2020

A new year brings new opportunities, both professional and personal, and from Royal Orchid Plus we wish you happiness, good health, success and of course continued travel with THAI in 2020.

To make your frequent travels more rewarding, you may now enjoy the 2020 Platinum Award, an opportunity for two time redemptions of Award travel across the THAI and THAI Smile networks at 50% less miles than standard requirements. Applicable Award Charts display required miles for Platinum Award roundtrip travel, for yourself or an Award Nominee during 2020.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No email from ROP, but Auckland office processed my Economy tickets today. Biz award availability all gone, but such is life.

The conditions of the offer:

Outlined hereunder are the terms and conditions of the 2020 Gold 50% award offer:

Valid one time only for Gold members or their listed nominee for 2020.
The ticket is valid for one year from date of issue - not from date of travel.
Date/ flight changes are permitted within ticket validity and subject to availability, for a fee of equivalent USD 70.00 per transaction. Fee is converted to NZD based on the current exchange rate at time of date change.
Please note new reservation change fees effective from 01 MAR 2020:
- TG domestic flights within Thailand: USD 16 per transaction
- TG International: first class & business class USD 120.00 per transaction
- TG international: economy class USD 85.00 per transaction
Name changes, destination changes, re-routing and carrier changes are not permitted.
If you wish to cancel the booking and re-credit any unexpired miles, a fee of either (equivalent) USD190.00 or 15,000 ROP miles applies. However please note that the 50% special award offer cannot be used again, as the right to use is forfeited.
All re-credits are subject to THAI Head Office approval.
Expired miles cannot be re-credited.
Booking fee USD 10.00 for members (or USD 40.00 for award nominees) applies
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: Thai Airways
[QUOTE=Thai-Kiwi;31891083]So, I am told by both my local office and Bangkok that a mixed-cabin 50% Award is not possible under this unpublished 'benefit'. Nor is a one-way 50% Award possible.

Isn't this the same as previous years?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maerim
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
So, I am told by both my local office and Bangkok that a mixed-cabin 50% Award is not possible under this unpublished 'benefit'. Nor is a one-way 50% Award possible.
Isn't this the same as previous years?
Possibly. I had only ever booked returns previously , but given the new ROP redemption charts now allow mixed-class returns, I foolishly hoped this would be applied to the 2020 50% Gold Award, so quite disappointed it does not.

I have the email now from ROP, and TG has published specific tables applicable to this offer which make it plain what the rules are

http://thaiairways.s3.amazonaws.com/...to%20Point.pdf
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Possibly. I had only ever booked returns previously , but given the new ROP redemption charts now allow mixed-class returns, I foolishly hoped this would be applied to the 2020 50% Gold Award, so quite disappointed it does not.

I have the email now from ROP, and TG has published specific tables applicable to this offer which make it plain what the rules are

Still get a better deal from NZ to Europe in more ways than one than those of us who live in Thai's home country travelling to Europe.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: ROP Gold

Does this mean that flights must start from BKK?

Specially, if I do a trip from SIN - BKK - LHR, I can use the 50% discount from BKK - LHR and not from SIN - BKK - LHR?

Last edited by anaidross; Jan 4, 2020 at 6:32 am Reason: Typo: from GUP to 50% discount
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anaidross
Does this mean that flights must start from BKK?

Specially, if I do a trip from SIN - BKK - LHR, I can use the GUP from BKK - LHR and not from SIN - BKK - LHR?
We are not discussing GUP in this thread, just the unpublished 50% Award offer for Gold/Plat members.

For GUP, you can still use GUP on SIN-BKK-LHR providing you buy Q class economy fare (or higher).
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: ROP Gold
We are not discussing GUP in this thread, just the unpublished 50% Award offer for Gold/Plat members.

For GUP, you can still use GUP on SIN-BKK-LHR providing you buy Q class economy fare (or higher).
Sorry, I meant the 50% discount for Award offer for Gold/Plat members. The flu is clouding my mind. Thanks for pointing out.

Does it mean that for the leg between SIN - BKK - LHR, I need to redeem my mileage twice (i.e. BKK - LHR with 50% mileage discount and SIN - BKK with full mileage)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.