Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

TG492 AKL-BKK 30 Aug disrupted (789 HS-TWB)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

Today’s TG492 AKL-BKK on HS-TWB has not flown due to engineering issues. The flight arrived on time from Bangkok.

The pax load in both classes was full. Departure announcements on the delay were made (ETD 1310) indicating delays to 1430, 1530, 1630.

At 1600 all told the flight was cancelled for today, and to move back through immigration, collect bags, complete quarantine and go to a checkin service desk for further information. Some confusion as the returning pax were not able to use the Smart Gate, even NZ citizens. This really slowed the process.

At the checkin service counter, I was 4th line for processing J class pax. Initially given a hotel voucher, with dinner and breakfast at teh Heartland hotel. Economy pax were sent to a different hotel it seemed.

I asked the TG staff member to be transferred to an Air NZ flight to HKG, thence connect to BKK. This was done without issue, taking around 15 minutes to process. Another pax to Israel was similarly processed onto CX flight to Tel Aviv. A group of 4 going to Vienna were likewise processed onto CX.

By now the economy pax had arrived in numbers, with most accepting the hotel/meal voucher.

Whilst I didnt hang around, I thought the TG staff did a very good job in rebooking passengers ‘on the spot’. My observation is that most of the J pax were travel savvy enough to ask to be rebooked, rather than accept a 24 hour delay.

AKL-HKG-BKK is in business class. My ticket is actually a Q economy class with GUP. I feared that any solution apart from taking Tg492 tomorrow, would be in economy. I was keen to get moving, as I know to tomorrow’s flight is also very full, and If HS-TWB remains unserviceable then there would be more delays.

The disruption is a pain, but I am very happy with the quick and effective resolution the TG staff in Auckland provided to me..
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Another pax to Israel was similarly processed onto CX flight to Tel Aviv. A group of 4 going to Vienna were likewise processed onto CX.
I'm puzzled. You mean rebooked to CX198 AKL-HKG tomorrow (Saturday) - or on NZ87 AKL-HKG tonight and then onwards to final dest. with CX?

I would be surprised if TG accepted to rebook to CX198 tomorrow as their own flight to BKK should depart tomorrow around the same time.

NZ to SIN tonight and with many onward connections on SQ, TG etc should also have been possible.

Last edited by SK AAR; Aug 30, 2019 at 3:02 am
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I'm puzzled. You mean rebooked to CX198 AKL-HKG tomorrow (Saturday) - or on NZ87 AKL-HKG tonight and then onwards to final dest. with CX?

I would be surprised if TG accepted to rebook to CX198 tomorrow as their own flight to BKK should depart tomorrow around the same time.

NZ to SIN tonight and with many onward connections on SQ, TG etc should also have been possible.
Posting using Nz’s Free wifi

Yep, he was booked tomorrow (31st) on CX198 (ticketed as NZ4995) then CX675. The pax was concerned knowing that TG492 tomorrow is also completely sold, and if TWB does not become serviceable, then he has further delays. We were chatting together, so he shared his circumstances.

The NZ flight to SIN was completely sold. NZ87 to HKG showed C2 when I asked to be rebooked, and is full.

CX, however, has plenty of capacity at the moment...
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I C. Interesting. Thank you for reporting back.

Have a nice flight Thai-Kiwi. At least you are on your way to BKK now rather than having to wait until tomorrow (however, CX flights in C all the way to TLV is not a bad switch for the poor fellow you talked to).
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yesterday’s TG492 is now scheduled to return as TG4929, with a delayed departure. Glad I managed to get away.

The loads are are high in business class;

TG 492
AKL 13:10 → BKK 20:15
C0 D0 J0 Z0 Y0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 T0 K0 S0 V0 W0 L0

TG 4929
AKL 15:00 → BKK 22:05
C5 D0 J0 Z0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q0 T0 K0 S0 V0 W0 L0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.