Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

11 AUG, TG952 BKK-CPH diverted to DME - pax stranded at DME

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite

I just read this in the news.

Yesterday TG952 BKK-CPH diverted to DME. Technical issues with the aircraft (B772) - fuel leak and engine issues! After waiting 3½ hours in the aircraft pax were allowed to de-board, but as Russia requires visa for most European pax, they were unable to leave the airport (whereas apparently Thai pax have been accommodated in hotels). Pax stayed over night and are still waiting in DME for news and the onward flight to CPH (apparently all/some pax got access to lounges - there are pics of pax sleeping in what appears to be lounge chairs etc). The lack of information/updates from TG/Thai staff seems to be the most annoying issue for the pax. Some have already arranged flights to CPH on their own as it is uncertain when the TG aircraft will be fixed - apparently engineers are arriving tonight for trying to repair the a/c so it can continue to CPH.

TG953 CPH-BKK last night was obviously cancelled as well, but I suppose these pax are already on their way to BKK now - either on TG951 today or with other carriers.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: ROP
HS-TJW, the issued aircraft, just departed CPH as TG 9539 to BKK today.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
It's pretty grim when you have to divert to somewhere with a highly restrictive entry/visa regime
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
It's pretty grim when you have to divert to somewhere with a highly restrictive entry/visa regime
I had sympathy for the passengers who cannot go through the immigration but if you looked at the flight path, you will understand that why TG diverted to DME.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Depending on the exact nature of the technical issue, aircrew are sometimes faced with little in the way of options.

If there was a choice, THAI would very likely have a policy that such diversions would be to a port that is an exisiting destination, if this can be accomplished safely.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What a brutale schedule! Departing DME in the middle of the night (03:30AM local time) and arriving CPH 05:14!

Also TG 9539 is expected to arrive midnight at BKK tonight. No/very few onward connections and very late arriving to BKK, getting to the hotel etc.

But at least the a/c is back in operation and the stranded pax have reached CPH.
joy16 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
What a brutale schedule! Departing DME in the middle of the night (03:30AM local time) and arriving CPH 05:14!

Also TG 9539 is expected to arrive midnight at BKK tonight. No/very few onward connections and very late arriving to BKK, getting to the hotel etc.

But at least the a/c is back in operation and the stranded pax have reached CPH.
Unfortunately,my family and I were on that flight,we are 6 person including 3children,does anyone know if I can have some compensation from Thai air?thank you
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unfortunately this flight is not covered by EU Reg. 261/04 (TG is a non-EU carrier and this is not a flight FROM EU) so there is no right to compensation under EU law.

You may try to write to TG to get some miles etc. I assume that any out-of-pocket expenses have been reimbursed - but then that is it/all you can ask for.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:42 am

Unfortunately this flight is not covered by EU Reg. 261/04 (TG is a non-EU carrier and this is not a flight FROM EU) so there is no right to compensation under EU law.

You may try to write to TG to get some miles etc. I assume that any out-of-pocket expenses have been reimbursed - but then that is it/all you can ask for.
Thank you! Next time EU carrier would be a good choice
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer

In the past, Thai Airways used to pay a small lump sum as compensation for passengers affected by heavy delays or cancellations on flights starting in Bangkok, too.
Therefore, it may be worth to ask for it.
b-t-w: did you learn anything about the actual reasons for the landing in Moscow? What kind of technical problems and so son?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
In the past, Thai Airways used to pay a small lump sum as compensation for passengers affected by heavy delays or cancellations on flights starting in Bangkok, too.
Therefore, it may be worth to ask for it.
b-t-w: did you learn anything about the actual reasons for the landing in Moscow? What kind of technical problems and so son?
The pilot announced oil leak during flight,when we landed on DME,we saw some fire trucks standby beside the runway.
BTW
The final meal which should be serviced 2hours before scheduled land in CPH had been done before we landed at DME,I think this meant the crew they had known the problem very very early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.