Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm guessing there is less demand for gates at midnight.
I've gotten a bus gate arriving TG607 around 11 pm.

I had paid for buggy pick-up at the gate, not a happy camper.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
...and quite a few long haul departures around midnight by TG, mainly to Europe. The list is not complete:

23:45 TG920 to FRA
00:01 TG473 to BNE
00:05 TG930 to CDG
00:15 TG465 to MEL
00:20 TG944 to FCO
00:30 TG934 to BRU
00:50 TG924 to MUC
00:55 TG910 to LHR
00:55 TG954 to OSL
01:05 TG970 to ZRH
01:10 TG960 to ARN
01:20 TG950 to CPH
01:20 TG936 to VIE

These departing aircraft may have arrived from short/med haul flights, including domestic flights.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
TG at its best: arrived on a full A380 and were already late, plenty of gate positions empty (including A380 gates) and sure enough turned right for an apron position. Then the usual chaos, the first bus left with just a few people despite displaying "first/business" and the other J pax had to wait quite a bit for another "regular" bus. Then got the full airport bus tour and a long wait at really hot transfer security (what was the person desgining the airport smoking?), so barely made my connection on a scheduled 2+ hour layover and got to the plane all sweaty.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:48 am

Yes. TG/PG or even WE (to an extent) use a lot of bus gates because BKK is their hub airport. It is not about saving cost but it is more about not having to move empty aircraft from one place to the other with a push back truck.

When you get a bus gate, it’s one of the following:

- You’re on an international flight but plane parked on domestic gate.
- You’re on a domestic flight but plane parked at an international gate.
- You’re about to board a flight where the plane was idle for more than 3 hours (so it did not park at a gate because they did not want to pay the airport the opportunity cost).
- You’re just disembarking from a plane that has no scheduled flight after your flight for more than 3 hours.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pandalama
Yes. TG/PG or even WE (to an extent) use a lot of bus gates because BKK is their hub airport. It is not about saving cost but it is more about not having to move empty aircraft from one place to the other with a push back truck.

When you get a bus gate, it’s one of the following:

- You’re on an international flight but plane parked on domestic gate.
- You’re on a domestic flight but plane parked at an international gate.
- You’re about to board a flight where the plane was idle for more than 3 hours (so it did not park at a gate because they did not want to pay the airport the opportunity cost).
- You’re just disembarking from a plane that has no scheduled flight after your flight for more than 3 hours.
It's irrelevant......THAI wants to be in the top 5 airlines in the world, as stated by their (latest) new President last year........what a joke......tell me the last time you remember being "bused" in Singapore or Hong Kong or Seoul? SQ and CX are acknowledged regional leaders, Korean not so much, but THAI are soooooo far behind their regional competitors its no wonder they are losing money, despite all the fleet upgrades
Old May 12, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
These bus gates really annoy me so I've been voting with my wallet and spending my money with SQ . With a bit of planning, the difference in fare for J is fairly negligible for a much better hard and soft product + guaranteed gate that's typically located a stone's throw from the lounge so it isn't a really difficult choice!

A could of week back I thought I'd give TG a go again on the BKK-SIN route and it was a bus so I've more or less given up on them now. I just use ROP to credit miles and cash in a 1st class long haul every now and again.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pandalama
Appreciate the explanation. But this is of course all about cutting costs.

Ironic that an airline which is so bloated in other respects chooses to cut costs in a way which impacts the passenger experience so negatively.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Thaikwai
It's irrelevant......THAI wants to be in the top 5 airlines in the world, as stated by their (latest) new President last year........what a joke......tell me the last time you remember being "bused" in Singapore or Hong Kong or Seoul? SQ and CX are acknowledged regional leaders, Korean not so much, but THAI are soooooo far behind their regional competitors its no wonder they are losing money, despite all the fleet upgrades
I have never had bus transportation to/from an A380 on SQ, LH, AF, BA etc.

The frequent bus action, unusually frequent aircraft changes (was scheduled to go lie-flat on an A350 and ended up on an ancient B744) plus the mediocre lounges and the terrible airport (hot, long ways to just about anything, slow and ineffective transfer security ...) are just some of the features that do not make TG 5* or a top 5 airline. The donation to Skytrax would have to be very high to make it happen.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
The donation to Skytrax would have to be very high to make it happen.
Yes, probably even more than LH had to pay.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, probably even more than LH had to pay.
To be fair, it should be less for LH.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: TG*G , PR Classic
In my opinion the reason for behind this only for confortable of worker and thier procedure since if you arrive from Domestic and you want plane stop at contact gate after disembarked PAXs,
Then same aircraft will serve at international route again they need addtional tractor service for move aircraft to international flight gate again. its Cost TG. and additional personel.
Vaterland likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:47 am

If it's because they don't want to move the aircraft from international to domestic gate, which domestic route gets the 380?
Old May 13, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Apparently there are only 5 gates capable of handling A380s, so when Emirates and a couple of other foreign A380s are parked (always at a jet bridge), then I guess the TG A380s have to park up at the apron.........
Old May 13, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Last Thursday, arrived on SQ 982 ... we had to wait 15 mins after touch down and taxi because the aircraft using the gate had not yet departed. If I recall it was D7 (?). I’d rather a bus than wait. Maybe the issue is the airport is at / beyond capacity ?
Old May 13, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by EGW1
Maybe the issue is the airport is at / beyond capacity ?
Not even close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.