FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Way too many Bus gates, only Thai, and no Bus Class buses.....awful (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1962482-way-too-many-bus-gates-only-thai-no-bus-class-buses-awful.html)

maerim Apr 25, 2019 2:54 am

Was it deliberate or by chance that you did not walk quickly off the bus as if you were going to immigration, but took time to take a photo of a young lady?

Thai-Kiwi Apr 25, 2019 3:08 am

Originally Posted by maerim (Post 31035222)
Was it deliberate or by chance that you did not walk quickly off the bus as if you were going to immigration, but took time to take a photo of a young lady?

Believe it or not ;)

...the phone’s lens immediately fogged up, so I needed to stop and wipe it clean.... FT priorities ruled.

moondog Apr 25, 2019 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31035244)

Believe it or not ;)

...the phone’s lens immediately fogged up, so I needed to stop and wipe it clean.... FT priorities ruled.

Did you get her digits?:D

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Apr 25, 2019 3:19 am

Even Juneyao airlines (and previously Spring when I flew them last year) had gates at the terminal. So cost can’t really be an issue.

moondog Apr 25, 2019 3:26 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 31035260)
Even Juneyao airlines (and previously Spring when I flew them last year) had gates at the terminal. So cost can’t really be an issue.

I'm guessing there is less demand for gates at midnight.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Apr 25, 2019 3:27 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31035272)
I'm guessing there is less demand for gates at midnight.

There are plenty of empty gates just before midnight with all the TG late nights. But they don’t use them!

MikeFromTokyo Apr 25, 2019 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30929940)
Yes, it's absolutely not a gate shortage.

So does TG do this to avoid airport fees for gate usage, or because somebody's cousin operates the bus concession?

I think TG and PG use a lot of busses/vans in part because it makes it easier to use the same aircraft for both international and domestic flights. I actually do not particularly mind it as long as everything runs smoothly. Indeed, sometimes a bus or a van gets arriving passengers to immigration faster than walking through the airport might.

I am sure another part of it is that Suvarnabhumi Airport would rather sell slots at the gates to foreign carriers for a lot of money...

chris63 Apr 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo;31036088[left
I am sure another part of it is that Suvarnabhumi Airport would rather sell slots at the gates to foreign carriers for a lot of money...

This, TG won’t pay & this is unusual to say the least at the carriers main hub.... TG & Swampy effectively have the same owners / controllers..... Amazing Thailand ;)

Kacee Apr 28, 2019 4:01 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 31036088)
I think TG and PG use a lot of busses/vans in part because it makes it easier to use the same aircraft for both international and domestic flights.

PG does it really well though, with a separate bus for J pax. I think you'd see a lot less complaining here if TG did that.

MikeFromTokyo Apr 28, 2019 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31044835)
PG does it really well though, with a separate bus for J pax. I think you'd see a lot less complaining here if TG did that.

I’m often in F with TG, so that is also perhaps why I do not mind. J bus on two class flights also does not bother me much if there is no long wait on the bus.

It is true that PG does that extremely well for business class, but the other side of that is that many PG flights are all economy. Nevertheless, I have lucked out and gotten the small vans even when flying Y. Coming in from Trat a while ago, I was zipped to the terminal very quickly by van.

Of course, if checking bags, everyone is often reunited at the baggage claim. So sometimes perceived expediency results in no real time savings.

tg911 Apr 29, 2019 5:30 am

Landed this afternoon on TG917 bus to the area near immigration no complaints done very quickly plenty of buses waiting. Odd thing was i took a wrong lane at immigration ended up in a fast track area but the official checked my boarding pass i was flying in economy and let me through.

Thaikwai Apr 29, 2019 9:11 am

Came back on TG911 from London in F on Saturday.....A380......thankfully no bus....they would have needed a fleet of buses!!!! Only 4 PAX in F and I got very lucky.....THREE portions of Caviar, first time ever!!

manudfaifar May 5, 2019 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by maerim (Post 31035222)

So sorry. I did a mistake to answer a wrong post.

manudfaifar May 5, 2019 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31035210)
So, flew CEI-BKK today around noon on PG232. For what it is worth, the PG A319 has better seat pitch that the A320.

To my horror, I noticed we taxied to gate C1 which is one of the gates on the International concourses (Concourses A and B are Domestic, C-G are International - usually). Sure enough, no airbridge and instead we had the 'walk of shame' in the searing heat down the metal stairs into a bus that had the aircon set to Antarctic (or Arctic) levels of cold on full 'snap freeze' strength.

The bus then headed South (away from the Domestic Concourses), along the full extent of Concourse C, turned right (second pic at the tip of C), headed West parallel to Concourse D, before turning right again to head directly towards the middle of Concourse D (third pic), with final right turn to stop by gate D2, debussing to a domestic entry door and a cheery 'Welcome to Suvarnabhumi' !

Recalling this very thread (and the others), I had the presence of mind to remove my mittens (it was that cold), and take a few snaps with my phone to record this journey into the unknown. Of course, other intrepid travellers have been more sorely inconvenienced with significantly longer and more harrowing experiences.

I suppose the aircraft was scheduled for an international departure, and a few of our pax were also departing internationally (CIQ sticker and all).

On the 'affordability of getting a gate' question, I noted also that a China Southern B738 was parked at D4, Vietnam Air 320 parked at D3, and a THAI aircraft (i772?) at D1, and not pictured was a Malaysia Airlines 738 at C5. If MH can afford a gate in its present financial position, surely PG/TG can as well?

Dear Sir,

Please confirm my understanding. You flew from CEI(Chiang Rai) to BKK, aren’t you? That is a domestic flight. C1 is an international gate. In Suvarnabhumi airport, they use gate A and B for domestic flights. In your case, PG may have used the aircraft for an international purpose afterward. If any ground staff allowed you to use that gate, it would be illegal in Thailand. You would be in an international area without passport stamp and X Ray. If your passport is already stamped from CEI, you have to pass a X Ray check point in Suvarnabhumi.

Thai-Kiwi May 5, 2019 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by manudfaifar (Post 31070021)

Dear Sir,

Please confirm my understanding. You flew from CEI(Chiang Rai) to BKK, aren’t you? That is a domestic flight. C1 is an international gate. In Suvarnabhumi airport, they use gate A and B for domestic flights. In your case, PG may have used the aircraft for an international purpose afterward. If any ground staff allowed you to use that gate, it would be illegal in Thailand. You would be in an international area without passport stamp and X Ray. If your passport is already stamped from CEI, you have to pass a X Ray check point in Suvarnabhumi.