FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   New TG Lounge Taking Shape At BKK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1955630-new-tg-lounge-taking-shape-bkk.html)

RTWFF Nov 23, 19 2:14 pm


Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31769104)
You're not helping yourself here.

Oh dear

kkl Nov 23, 19 10:25 pm

Aircon situation still not fixed. Was like a sauna in there

Kacee Nov 24, 19 1:32 am


Originally Posted by kkl (Post 31770507)
Aircon situation still not fixed. Was like a sauna in there

When I was there it was cooler than the terminal. That's where the problem seems to be.

chris63 Nov 24, 19 8:33 am


Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31770743)
When I was there it was cooler than the terminal. That's where the problem seems to be.

Yes, the terminal was too hot last week & the very wide & open entrances were letting that heat into the new lounge...

maerim Nov 24, 19 8:54 am


Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31771394)
Yes, the terminal was too hot last week & the very wide & open entrances were letting that heat into the new lounge...

You are obviously not acclimatized to the climate in SE Asia and other countries. Try spending time in Tokyo for example in July and August and working in an office with the temperature fixed at 27C - I guess you would be finding an excuse to drink a beer. Do you really think that the locals would like the temperature set at bleary SOT temperatures? Get real and stop being so critical - it is so boring apart from being unnecessary. In your case stick to Lufthansa if you don't like other options.

chris63 Nov 24, 19 9:32 am


Originally Posted by maerim (Post 31771423)
You are obviously not acclimatized to the climate in SE Asia and other countries. Try spending time in Tokyo for example in July and August and working in an office with the temperature fixed at 27C - I guess you would be finding an excuse to drink a beer. Do you really think that the locals would like the temperature set at bleary SOT temperatures? Get real and stop being so critical - it is so boring apart from being unnecessary. In your case stick to Lufthansa if you don't like other options.

Since I have a home in Thailand, of course Iím used to SE Asia temperatures & that goes with my knowledge of Shops, Offices, Public buildings etc being capable of providing competent air conditioning of those premises, Swampy lets the side down !

Thanks for your advice, I wonít be taking it :D

Kacee Nov 24, 19 11:52 am


Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31771520)
Swampy lets the side down !

And based on dozens of prior passes through this airport, there was definitely something wrong with the A/C in Swampy when I last passed through two weeks ago. They had signs up in the lounge to that effect.

SKT-DK Nov 24, 19 9:05 pm


Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31771520)
Since I have a home in Thailand, of course Iím used to SE Asia temperatures & that goes with my knowledge of Shops, Offices, Public buildings etc being capable of providing competent air conditioning of those premises, Swampy lets the side down !

I guess it is also a matter of what different people see as "competent a/c". Most of the offices I frequent in BKK (incl. my own employer's) have centrally controlled A/C and they provide for an indoor climate suitable only for polar bears and penguins. Often times, I would actually welcome a broken A/C for a change :D

chris63 Nov 25, 19 2:02 am


Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 31773302)
I guess it is also a matter of what different people see as "competent a/c". Most of the offices I frequent in BKK (incl. my own employer's) have centrally controlled A/C and they provide for an indoor climate suitable only for polar bears and penguins. Often times, I would actually welcome a broken A/C for a change :D

Yes, thatís a good point & I agree but Swampy is often too hot & people need to often walk long distances carrying things, not good enough at BKK... in the case of the new lounge itís crazy to have such huge openings letting that hot air inside, otherwise itís a super lounge 👍

SKT-DK Nov 25, 19 2:24 am


Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31773863)
Yes, thatís a good point & I agree but Swampy is often too hot & people need to often walk long distances carrying things, not good enough at BKK... in the case of the new lounge itís crazy to have such huge openings letting that hot air inside, otherwise itís a super lounge 👍

I agree with you completely - recently Suvarnabhumi has warmed up quite a bit, but funnily enough it used to be freezing cold at some stage before that. Strange how they cannot seem to get it right - maybe they are trying to accommodate the small birds flying around inside the terminal rather than pax? :D

chris63 Nov 25, 19 8:13 am


Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 31773905)
I agree with you completely - recently Suvarnabhumi has warmed up quite a bit, but funnily enough it used to be freezing cold at some stage before that. Strange how they cannot seem to get it right - maybe they are trying to accommodate the small birds flying around inside the terminal rather than pax? :D

Yes, thatís my impression, it was much cooler before & getting warmer recently, there must be a reason for it, hope the birds are enjoying it, quite surprised they were not at the new food station, since nothing to stop them. :D

Thai-Kiwi Nov 25, 19 10:54 am

FWIW, my office building when I worked in Bangkok used a temperature differential rather than a fixed thermostat setting, eg target room temp =outside temp-12. Apparently this was a sophisticated energy saving approach as the aircon would have to alter its efforts (just the humans inside :) )

This meant that in winter when it was 30 outside, it was too cold inside at 18; but in summer when it was 38, it was an unbearable 26 inside....

I attended the opening of Suvarnabhumi, and the I noted the tiny dots over the glass exterior which ruins any photographic desires. The small dots are apparently ceramic and designed to deal with the heat in a way to avoid diurnal (day-night) temp variation by absorbing heat in the day and gently radiating it at night, perhaps with the idea that the aircon would not need to change its cooling efforts (much) over a 24 hour period. This is a few years ago now and I forget the exact details - but look for the small dots!

brunos Dec 2, 19 10:52 pm

Got my first visit to the new lounge yesterday. Temperature was fine.
Less than 10 pax, while other lounge was more crowded. Lots of excited serving staff. Lounge design and seating not great, but food truly impressive.
Drinkable wines. Two reds (French, Italian) and two white Chardonays from Australia., Prosecco. But they also have an impressive list of cocktails. Wifey tasted one and it was quite good.
They have a kitchen bar where they cook three dishes. One"instant noodle soup". Despite the unappealing name, it was a Thai Tom Yom with a poached egg and chicken and it was top quality. I also tasted a Pad Thai done freshly in front of me with top-quality products, again outstanding. I did not try the third one, some other soup.
Extensive salad bar and several hot dishes buffet style. Their selection of small deserts is wonderful. Very different from the low quality stuff served in the old lounge (I checked).
I have many criticisms for TG, but that new lounge is to high international standards.

Thai-Kiwi Dec 19, 19 2:40 am

Not available to other *A business class pax?!
 
From Thaiís FB post. See the highlighted text - does this mean the Prestige Lounge is not available to other *A pax in business class ?? (who are not *G)


Royal Orchid Prestige Lounge, Concourse D, 3rd floor, Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport, is looking forward to providing you the best and most comfortable experience before you embark on your airbourne journey!

Opens daily 05.00 AM - 02.00 AM (the following day)

*Only available for Royal First and Royal Silk Class passengers, Royal Orchid Plus Platinum and Gold members, and Star Alliance Gold members.

RTWFF Dec 19, 19 3:13 am


Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31855537)
From Thaiís FB post. See the highlighted text - does this mean the Prestige Lounge is not available to other *A pax in business class ?? (who are not *G)

It's certainly available to other *A Gold in Economy


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.