Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUP 2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:22 am
Original Poster

GUP 2

Heres one for the experienced TG regulars out there....

I am 5 months into my third year of TG *G. I have just been given a GUP 2 which is stated as for “1 upgrade ticket for second year of gold member”.
This is clearly not the case however I have just clocked up 100,000 miles flying business on my my run to Platinum status. Could this be the reason for the second GUP?

Does anyone have any experience with the accumulation of Platinum Q miles and what you get along the way?

Or is it a mistake?

Cheers,
Main Wheel.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
GUP1/PUP1 you get for renewing your Membership level
GUP2/PUP2 you get for additional flown miles
Beware the latter expire pretty fast (i think 6 months only) while the first is valid through whole Extension of your Membership Level
any more question?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
The GUP2 is awarded when flying 50k in 1 calendar year and falls inside the current 2 year period, hence the shorter availability period A’s binds ain’t nites.

Text from THAI website:

The second complimentary upgrade is one year valid from the date of achieving 50,000 qualifying miles or 40 THAI international flight sectors (except travels with booking classes G / V / W / L) within either of your two personal calendar year periods during current Gold status.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for the answers.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

One more question. When moving from Gold status to Platinum status what happens to any existing GUP’s?

I have 2 GUP’s currently unused, and should move to Platinum status in a few months. I am wondering if I need to use them or lose them (the GUP’s obviously) prior to achieving Platinum status?

Thankyou.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:28 am

why should the validity dates change?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
I don’t know. Hence the question?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
So by that are you saying they remain in my account until either used or expired even with a change from Gold to Platinum status?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:06 am

it was like that with my GUP, but I was among the first generation platinum members when status was introduced and on invitation only
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Bin Sabai
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: TG Plat
My experience:
You keep unused GUP
Your G 50% award expires if not used.
You get two 50% P awards for booking (not flying) by 31 December. Pretty good if you get P late in the year. The downside is if you have the miles and use all these and the GUP for Y to C (most cost effective) you won't be earning the miles to retain P.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks andyptrav. That is great info. I hadn’t thought about the 50% awards!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Main Wheel
Many thanks andyptrav. That is great info. I hadn’t thought about the 50% awards!
Indeed, I am 'burning' my 2018 50% award in 2 weeks on a BKK-HKG-BKK rather than allow it to lapse. I have enough miles for the 50% award I have in mind for next year, and have no other travel planned where I could use the 'spare' 27,500 miles - so burned a J award to HKG.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:55 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Hi, since when GUP2 expires only one year after it is earned? For some reasons, after more than 10 yrs of being a Gold members, I wasn't aware of this different expiration date and always thought the expiration would be the same as GUP1. Maybe this has been there all along, but I never lost one until this year as I wasn't aware it has expired a few months before my current Gold period ends.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by kiam
Hi, since when GUP2 expires only one year after it is earned? For some reasons, after more than 10 yrs of being a Gold members, I wasn't aware of this different expiration date and always thought the expiration would be the same as GUP1. Maybe this has been there all along, but I never lost one until this year as I wasn't aware it has expired a few months before my current Gold period ends.
for quite a long time...same as for PUP1 and 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.