Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Why is Suvarnabhumi Airport and Thai on the ground so awful?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Suvarnabhumi Airport and Thai on the ground so awful?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:12 am

Its a shame, but I have to agree that the airport is just another testament to Thai corruption. Could have been much better, but wasn't and like most of Thailand, no budget to maintain. I imagine the future for Suvarnabhumi will be a slow decay and then a grand announcement of a new third airport-and all because there is more brown envelopes involved.

As for the Thai lounges, they are definitely run down. The food is also bad, but I find other non-Thai Bkk lounges are only marginally better. Maybe all the food comes from the same place, but the quality seems to be consistently poor. The aircon seems ok to me, but then I stay in the darkness of the lounges...
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:09 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Bus gates are used in many home ports, even SYD for QF. Any seasoned traveler knows this can happy for operational reasons.

I do agree the TG lounges, in particular, are very hot. They don’t appear to have a ceiling and the constant sound of boarding calls from outside the F Lounge is a disgrace. We moved from the private rooms to next to the bar and could still hear them. F lounges should be calm and quiet, instead you hear every boarding call, for every airline.

Te EK lounge and former BA/QF lounges do/did not have those issues.

Last edited by m0hamed; Feb 1, 2018 at 3:19 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:16 am

grows on you

first time i flew out of BKK I felt somewhat similar.

the long walks to the gates made me want to gobble all my xannies. it felt like a never ending tunnel.

but as time has passed (and the TG ROP miles have piled up) I have come to like, or come to terms with BKK.

It's no SIN but it's ok.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Wow. I go through BKK 30+ times a year. My favorite airport by far. I have only once or twice ever waited in a line more than a minute for check in or immigration. Great F lounge. Love getting picked up at the door of my arriving flight. Love the complimentary massage. Super easy airport to navigate. Enjoy the walk when going to to a distant gate. Super easy to get on the train to the city. Walk to a good hotel when you need to overnight for transit. Domestic lounge is great. CIQ is a great system when connecting. TG ground staff are fantastic.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:14 am

ciq

ciq is great, skip the long immigration
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:30 am

I agree that the airport is scandalously inadequate. Having had the huge adavantage in seeing airport developments around the region, and with an enormous budget, how they managed to get it so terribly wrong is staggering.
1. Pathetic and abysmal public transport via the citylink. Ludicrously inadequate for anyone other than handluggage. And yet when it looked like picking up, with the express service ( albeit years after BKK opened) they promptly abadoned it citing safety concerns ( to do with the quality of the construction....ie, read getween the lines and everyone knows where part of the budget went)
2. Insanely inadequate staffing levels, resulting in long delays in/out at immigration ( while Thai nationals sale through automatic gates in a split second). Why the delays? Taxes and fees on tickets using BKK are significantly higher than Hong Kong for example. The passenger service charge is just about the highest in the region. So where the hell does the money go? Certainly not to cover the pretty simple task of providing adequate staff to meet demand. Not rocket science/brain surgery. People will be fine with say 20 minutes to get though....but far too often it's 30, 45, 60 minutes ( and of course the well documented 3-4 hours at both BKK and DMK just a few months ago).
3. TG lounges. Actually I don't complain much about them anymore because now at least they make an effort to put on some real food. Some will remember that for the best part of 20 years there was only those disgusting vegetable sanwiches and some soggy mini quiches I only use the E Gate lounges because the big one upstairs is a zoo.
I don't mind the temp and can't see any clealiness issues.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
Wow. I go through BKK 30+ times a year. My favorite airport by far. I have only once or twice ever waited in a line more than a minute for check in or immigration. Great F lounge. Love getting picked up at the door of my arriving flight. Love the complimentary massage. Super easy airport to navigate. Enjoy the walk when going to to a distant gate. Super easy to get on the train to the city. Walk to a good hotel when you need to overnight for transit. Domestic lounge is great. CIQ is a great system when connecting. TG ground staff are fantastic.
​​​​​​​Very far removed from the experience a typical traveler would have. And First passengers ( or TG pkatinum) probably account for 0.001% of the total.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: QR Plat ( Y-Commuter)
Overall the airport is good but there is a huge problem for arr/dep pax in Y and that is the waiting for immigration formality. The signs around the airport have improved long time ago. I remember my first transfer there right after opening 2006. It could look like this....
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by paolo64
​​​​​​​Very far removed from the experience a typical traveler would have. And First passengers ( or TG pkatinum) probably account for 0.001% of the total.
Presumably the FTers who are posting on this thread are not Ma and Pa Kettle and can figure out how to get an ABTC card, and/or get status on *A, and/or buy an upgrade (which are cheap and easy to be had on TG.) Flying Y stinks on any airline and in any airport. Sorry to be harsh, but if you can't punch your way out of a paper bag, don't blame it on the airport.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:36 pm

Presumably the FTers who are posting on this thread are not Ma and Pa Kettle and can figure out how to get an ABTC card, and/or get status on *A, and/or buy an upgrade (which are cheap and easy to be had on TG.) Flying Y stinks on any airline and in any airport. Sorry to be harsh, but if you can't punch your way out of a paper bag, don't blame it on the airport.
It's not a question of Ma and Pa Kettle or anything remotely close to it but rather the experience of 99.99% of those using the airport.
You seem compketely unfamiliar with a number of aspects of BKK, including what you claim to be benefits of *A, presumably meaning Gold ( perhaps the actual lack of these benefits is irrelevant to you flying F). Moreover the suggestion that upgrades on Thai are to be had easily and cheaply is simply risible. Please provide an example so that we might all learn /benefit from your experience. It would be greatly appreciated
The airport is badly flawed and can be a miserable experience for tourists. Trying to claim it's fine , through the prism of an F passenger, and suggesting that any problems are the fault of the lower class users barely warrants a response .
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by paolo64
It's not a question of Ma and Pa Kettle or anything remotely close to it but rather the experience of 99.99% of those using the airport.
You seem compketely unfamiliar with a number of aspects of BKK, including what you claim to be benefits of *A, presumably meaning Gold ( perhaps the actual lack of these benefits is irrelevant to you flying F). Moreover the suggestion that upgrades on Thai are to be had easily and cheaply is simply risible. Please provide an example so that we might all learn /benefit from your experience. It would be greatly appreciated
The airport is badly flawed and can be a miserable experience for tourists. Trying to claim it's fine , through the prism of an F passenger, and suggesting that any problems are the fault of the lower class users barely warrants a response .
1. You complain about crowding in the main J lounge. Use one of the less crowded TG lounges or one of the lounges from another *A carrier.
2. Don't like the immigration lines, get an ABTC.
3. TG has standby UG fares and great award availability. There is almost no other airline where it as easy and cheap to get into a premium cabin.

Tell me any major international airport that can NOT be a miserable experience for tourists. Thailand has per capita GDP that is a 1/10 of places like Japan, Singapore, and the US, and still they've built an extremely successful and competitive international air hub. Sure immigration and some of the lounges are crowding, but that's like complaining that you don't like to go to a restaurant because it's so popular.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:57 pm

1. You complain about crowding in the main J lounge. Use one of the less crowded TG lounges or one of the lounges from another *A carrier.
2. Don't like the immigration lines, get an ABTC.
3. TG has standby UG fares and great award availability. There is almost no other airline where it as easy and cheap to get into a premium cabin.

Tell me any major international airport that can NOT be a miserable experience for tourists. Thailand has per capita GDP that is a 1/10 of places like Japan, Singapore, and the US, and still they've built an extremely successful and competitive international air hub. Sure immigration and some of the lounges are crowding, but that's like complaining that you don't like to go to a restaurant because it's so popular.
I've never heard of these standby UG fares on Thai. Can you give an example of pricing Y to J or J to F on an international route? And do you just ask at the check-in counter?
Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
each airport has its advantages and downfalls

What I like about BKK
- Fast track for security AND Immigration (outbound and inbound); tell me any other airport, who has comparable convenient fast track options!
- easy to get around and easy to meet, pick up, drop off etc., easy to find check in etc.
- broad choice of *A Lounges in each concourse (except G)
- friendly, supportive and flexible ground staff (in SIN they are friendly but arrogant and stubborn, in ICN and HKG you get a mixed bag)

Downfalls of the celebrated airports in Asia

SIN
- no fast track, I have waited many times 30 min+ in the Immigration Queue
- sometimes long taxi queues with unprofessional Organisation; the rip off with the Chryslers and Benz is on the level of a third world country and a disgrace for "clean" Singapore
- security in front of the gate with often long Queues and questionable standards; you can't take a bottle of water on the airplane
- arrogant, stubborn and unflexible ground staff. I had to go more then once through security AFTER arrival, where tehy confiscated all liquids incl. water bottle (how stupid and useless!)

ICN
- Immigration is often a zoo with long waiting times, none moving lines (instead of a snake line), people jumping queues (I waited several times over one hour)
- if you arrive or depart at the outer terminal, walking can be longer then at Swampy

HKG
- Long commuting from/to Ferry terminals; waiting area for Ferry is a zoo
- Shopping at the airport is an absolute rip off
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by riced
I've never heard of these standby UG fares on Thai. Can you give an example of pricing Y to J or J to F on an international route? And do you just ask at the check-in counter?
Thanks
Some prices here:

​​​​​​https://www.thaiairways.com/th_TH/pl...obusiness.page

And yes, ask at check-in.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by DH188
Some prices here:

​​​​​​https://www.thaiairways.com/th_TH/pl...obusiness.page

And yes, ask at check-in.
I agree TG has great award availability, and it is nice they offer stand-by UG fares, but I would not feel these stand-by UG fares are "cheap".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.