Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai is reducing redemption options, making points useless

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai is reducing redemption options, making points useless

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold
Thumbs down Thai is reducing redemption options, making points useless

Does anyone else have extreme difficulty actually using ROP points with THAI?

Examples I encountered:
Biz class seats for redemption are not available for Jan Feb in all EU destinations,
star alliance upgrade redemption can now only be done online but you cannot complete the screens,
'Upgrade awards' for 50.000 miles flown not visible in system and offered hit or miss depending on agent, I had two of those expire as I was not aware.

I know ROP is not good, but this seems like a deliberate policy. What would be a good alternative star alliance program to move to? (based in BKK thats why I have to take TG flights)
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
expiry date of upgrade awards are visible on your online ROP account!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
I think your subject statement is fear mongering. I haven't had an issue, always book over the phone, they are very helpful. More their IT is just as useless as it has ever been, this is not something that is new, I highly doubt it is intentionally deceptive.
BinSabai and andyptrav like this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:50 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
I've always planned and booked at least two months in advance and, using the local ROP phone desk, I've not been disappointed with the availability of redemption options.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: BRK-B
Not just awards, GOLD UPGRADE TOO!!!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:03 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
January is peak time for flights from Oz to Europe. UA have devalued their MP miles and many UA MP people have grabbed TG flights before the devaluation.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
JAN/FEB is high season for Europeans going to Thailand for vacation. I booked my award seats for FEB on TG in business class long time ago (booked with LH M&M), as I knew that these seats are in high demand. You are simply too late...
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by DTGflyer
Does anyone else have extreme difficulty actually using ROP points with THAI?

Examples I encountered:
Biz class seats for redemption are not available for Jan Feb in all EU destinations,
star alliance upgrade redemption can now only be done online but you cannot complete the screens,
'Upgrade awards' for 50.000 miles flown not visible in system and offered hit or miss depending on agent, I had two of those expire as I was not aware.

I know ROP is not good, but this seems like a deliberate policy. What would be a good alternative star alliance program to move to? (based in BKK thats why I have to take TG flights)
you are just too late. Looking for tickets in high season only 1 month out is way too late. Start looking for January 2019 tickets in the next few months, and you will be able to freely use your upgrades.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You expect to get business class redemption seats one month out in the peak travel time???
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:32 am

booked an Award ticket and a PUP in F to CDG for March/April around 2 months ago. no Problem and several available Dates.
I try to book normally around 2-3 months in advance and during Peak traveling periods 4-6 months in advance
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
But khun BinSabai, looking for award tickets for March/April is very different (i.e. much easier) than for JAN/FEB. By March/April the surge of tourists to TH is almost over (except for Easter holiday) and award seats should be easier to find. Anyway, I agree with your time lines for booking biz awards.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold
Wouldn't March/April be in high demand especially as the Thai expats are travelling back from around the world for Songkran ??
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by chelseastu
Wouldn't March/April be in high demand especially as the Thai expats are travelling back from around the world for Songkran ??
March/April is a bit lower in demand then Mid December until end of Feb, but not so significantly lower. Low Season starts after Songkran/mid April
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I booked K class fare for late April and had no real challenge in applying my GUP2 AKL-BKK-SIN return. I use ExpertFlyer to check specifically for K and J availability.

As always with TG, the multicity tool was not able to give me K or better fare classes online so had to use tbhe NZ office, which meant a slight higher fare (by about $70).
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
I have to disagree with the OP and concur with many here, no problem with any of my award travel in the last couple of years. I just got AKL LHR in July, one on half points, one on GUP. The NZ office is very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.