BKK-AKL moves to 77W from 01 Sep 17

Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mvdl
Yes indeed are those seats as bad as they sound or OK? Because well... the problem would only be for the BKK-AKL leg since it's a night flight.

I'm trying to find reviews online but since this plane is used for "shorter" routes, it's dificult to assess
they're pretty bad for an 11+ hour flight, especially a night flight.

I'm a very hard sleeper but I find that these seats (J seat V1) are very very close to flat because the plane is flying at an angle and thus, you only feel a tad sloped.

But one downside about these seats is that they don't have an ottoman or somewhere to rest your feet on beside the leg rest that extends from the seat itself.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BennyW
they're pretty bad for an 11+ hour flight, especially a night flight.

I'm a very hard sleeper but I find that these seats (J seat V1) are very very close to flat because the plane is flying at an angle and thus, you only feel a tad sloped.

But one downside about these seats is that they don't have an ottoman or somewhere to rest your feet on beside the leg rest that extends from the seat itself.
what is a "hard sleeper"?

they are not really close to flat and you can easily slide down the slope...
but if I am tired and after 2-3 glasses of wine, I can also sleep in those very well
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BinSabai

but if I am tired and after 2-3 glasses of wine, I can also sleep in those very well
Basically, I can only sleep on certain beds that suit me otherwise I can't sleep. I have trouble sleeping on some hotel mattresses which is why I try to sleep at "luxury" hotels with soft mattresses.

Maybe it's because I drink 4-5 glasses before I go to sleep so I don't notice the slope...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

I agree with BinSabai. The small angle of incidence (2-3 degrees 'upslope') of the fuselage is nowhere enough to offset the 10+ degrees downslope of the seat.

I sleep with the seat in a stretched out 'Z' or rather like a lazy-boy when extended - so that I don't slip down. Fortunately, this works for me as a 'back' sleeper, and I appreciate it is not so good for 'side' sleepers.

My next long-haul ICN-AKL will be on MH in business (grabbed a super sale fare - cheaper than an economy fare )

Some reviews of the 777-200ER (used for long haul), different to the 777-200:

https://www.travelcodex.com/2015/01/...k-to-auckland/

Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:05 pm

thanks for sharing the you tube clip
reminds me of so many trips I have done on such or similar seats, many red eyes to Korea and many trips to Europe
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

thanks for sharing the you tube clip
reminds me of so many trips I have done on such or similar seats, many red eyes to Korea and many trips to Europe
Haha - I too have a love-hate relationship with the red-eyes TG656 and 658 BKK-ICN.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by BennyW
Just flew the opposite direction TG492 AKL-BKK on the 777-200, and agree with the above-quoted part. The lack of adequate footrest/ottoman makes this angle-flat seat very uncomfortable to sleep in, and I didn't. Of course, it wasn't an overnighter, so...
More troublesome is that these seats also don't offer really good seating position for a relaxed recline. Never could get really comfortable. Found them rather awkward.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Haha - I too have a love-hate relationship with the red-eyes TG656 and 658 BKK-ICN.
I too have a love-hate relationship with red eyes...great to get to work/home sooner...avoid if time permits.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:31 am

A dummy booking for early 2018 shows A359 for TG492. So maybe AKL will enjoy lie-flats after all.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A check on EF shows the 359 operating BKK-AKL from 26 Mar 2018. Pity as Jan 18 would have been much preferred by me...

Maybe there will be a 77W on the day I am flying
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:59 am

It seems that the 777-300ER operates in September and October only.

In November the 777-300 with angled C seat is back.

Is there a chance that TG changes the flight again or will it remain the old seat?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tirreg
It seems that the 777-300ER operates in September and October only.

In November the 777-300 with angled C seat is back.

Is there a chance that TG changes the flight again or will it remain the old seat?
Just to correct, in Nov it is the 777-200ER with angled lie flat biz seats returning, not the 777-300.

I am truly hoping this is just a 'placeholder' and the 359 or even 788 is scheduled from upcoming Nov/Dec
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:49 am

It seems as if my trips to AKL become more and more a travel through time

BKK-AKL-BKK still a 772 and my flight BKK-FCO in two weeks now changed from A350 to 744 At least they automatically gave me a seat in the F section but the old F seats.

With this aircraft lottery I am wondering how TG can earn money when they need all the spare parts at the different airports...
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Tirreg
It seems as if my trips to AKL become more and more a travel through time

BKK-AKL-BKK still a 772 and my flight BKK-FCO in two weeks now changed from A350 to 744 At least they automatically gave me a seat in the F section but the old F seats.

With this aircraft lottery I am wondering how TG can earn money when they need all the spare parts at the different airports...
you should be very happy about this change instead of grumbling. I would any time change "old" F seats on 747 over the "new" J seats on A350. much more space, much larger Screen etc....
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:48 am
SKL

Hopefully sometime in the next few months Thai's 772ER will be refurbished with lie-flat J seats. I believe this has been approved by the board, along with refurbishment of three A330.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.