BKK-AKL moves to 77W from 01 Sep 17

Reply

Old Apr 28, 17, 2:34 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: BKK / London
Programs: TG Platinum; SPG/Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold; Shangri-La Jade;
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by mvdl View Post
Yes indeed are those seats as bad as they sound or OK? Because well... the problem would only be for the BKK-AKL leg since it's a night flight.

I'm trying to find reviews online but since this plane is used for "shorter" routes, it's dificult to assess
they're pretty bad for an 11+ hour flight, especially a night flight.

I'm a very hard sleeper but I find that these seats (J seat V1) are very very close to flat because the plane is flying at an angle and thus, you only feel a tad sloped.

But one downside about these seats is that they don't have an ottoman or somewhere to rest your feet on beside the leg rest that extends from the seat itself.
tybo99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 17, 3:36 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
Originally Posted by BennyW View Post
they're pretty bad for an 11+ hour flight, especially a night flight.

I'm a very hard sleeper but I find that these seats (J seat V1) are very very close to flat because the plane is flying at an angle and thus, you only feel a tad sloped.

But one downside about these seats is that they don't have an ottoman or somewhere to rest your feet on beside the leg rest that extends from the seat itself.
what is a "hard sleeper"?

they are not really close to flat and you can easily slide down the slope...
but if I am tired and after 2-3 glasses of wine, I can also sleep in those very well
BinSabai is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 17, 3:56 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: BKK / London
Programs: TG Platinum; SPG/Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold; Shangri-La Jade;
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
what is a "hard sleeper"?

they are not really close to flat and you can easily slide down the slope...
but if I am tired and after 2-3 glasses of wine, I can also sleep in those very well
Basically, I can only sleep on certain beds that suit me otherwise I can't sleep. I have trouble sleeping on some hotel mattresses which is why I try to sleep at "luxury" hotels with soft mattresses.

Maybe it's because I drink 4-5 glasses before I go to sleep so I don't notice the slope...
tybo99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 17, 7:02 am
  #34  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,092
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
what is a "hard sleeper"?

they are not really close to flat and you can easily slide down the slope...
but if I am tired and after 2-3 glasses of wine, I can also sleep in those very well
I agree with BinSabai. The small angle of incidence (2-3 degrees 'upslope') of the fuselage is nowhere enough to offset the 10+ degrees downslope of the seat.

I sleep with the seat in a stretched out 'Z' or rather like a lazy-boy when extended - so that I don't slip down. Fortunately, this works for me as a 'back' sleeper, and I appreciate it is not so good for 'side' sleepers.

My next long-haul ICN-AKL will be on MH in business (grabbed a super sale fare - cheaper than an economy fare )

Some reviews of the 777-200ER (used for long haul), different to the 777-200:

https://www.travelcodex.com/2015/01/...k-to-auckland/

Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 17, 9:05 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
thanks for sharing the you tube clip
reminds me of so many trips I have done on such or similar seats, many red eyes to Korea and many trips to Europe
BinSabai is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 17, 5:23 am
  #36  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,092
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
thanks for sharing the you tube clip
reminds me of so many trips I have done on such or similar seats, many red eyes to Korea and many trips to Europe
Haha - I too have a love-hate relationship with the red-eyes TG656 and 658 BKK-ICN.
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 17, 11:35 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,042
Originally Posted by BennyW View Post
But one downside about these seats is that they don't have an ottoman or somewhere to rest your feet on beside the leg rest that extends from the seat itself.
Just flew the opposite direction TG492 AKL-BKK on the 777-200, and agree with the above-quoted part. The lack of adequate footrest/ottoman makes this angle-flat seat very uncomfortable to sleep in, and I didn't. Of course, it wasn't an overnighter, so...
More troublesome is that these seats also don't offer really good seating position for a relaxed recline. Never could get really comfortable. Found them rather awkward.
narvik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 17, 5:23 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK
Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 965
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Haha - I too have a love-hate relationship with the red-eyes TG656 and 658 BKK-ICN.
I too have a love-hate relationship with red eyes...great to get to work/home sooner...avoid if time permits.
kinchai is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 17, 5:31 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AMS/RTM
Posts: 2,335
A dummy booking for early 2018 shows A359 for TG492. So maybe AKL will enjoy lie-flats after all.
malmostoso is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 17, 5:55 am
  #40  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,092
A check on EF shows the 359 operating BKK-AKL from 26 Mar 2018. Pity as Jan 18 would have been much preferred by me...

Maybe there will be a 77W on the day I am flying
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 17, 1:59 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 594
It seems that the 777-300ER operates in September and October only.

In November the 777-300 with angled C seat is back.

Is there a chance that TG changes the flight again or will it remain the old seat?
Tirreg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 17, 3:59 am
  #42  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,092
Originally Posted by Tirreg View Post
It seems that the 777-300ER operates in September and October only.

In November the 777-300 with angled C seat is back.

Is there a chance that TG changes the flight again or will it remain the old seat?
Just to correct, in Nov it is the 777-200ER with angled lie flat biz seats returning, not the 777-300.

I am truly hoping this is just a 'placeholder' and the 359 or even 788 is scheduled from upcoming Nov/Dec
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 17, 12:49 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 594
It seems as if my trips to AKL become more and more a travel through time

BKK-AKL-BKK still a 772 and my flight BKK-FCO in two weeks now changed from A350 to 744 At least they automatically gave me a seat in the F section but the old F seats.

With this aircraft lottery I am wondering how TG can earn money when they need all the spare parts at the different airports...
Tirreg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 17, 3:10 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
Originally Posted by Tirreg View Post
It seems as if my trips to AKL become more and more a travel through time

BKK-AKL-BKK still a 772 and my flight BKK-FCO in two weeks now changed from A350 to 744 At least they automatically gave me a seat in the F section but the old F seats.

With this aircraft lottery I am wondering how TG can earn money when they need all the spare parts at the different airports...
you should be very happy about this change instead of grumbling. I would any time change "old" F seats on 747 over the "new" J seats on A350. much more space, much larger Screen etc....
BinSabai is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 17, 10:48 am
  #45  
SKL
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 43
Hopefully sometime in the next few months Thai's 772ER will be refurbished with lie-flat J seats. I believe this has been approved by the board, along with refurbishment of three A330.
SKL is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread