Search

Possible political unrest in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:00 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Possible political unrest in Thailand

It sounds like there is a chance of some political unrest in Thailand in the coming weeks with the ill health of the king.

I'm set to be flying MEL-BKK-HKT on TG (in J booked using UA miles) in December and wondering if I should be worried about any implications for my trip? From what I understand, Phuket generally remains calm for tourists even when there are disruptions elsewhere in the country. Not sure if a BKK connection would likely be any reason for concern?

Most likely alternative would be to pay for JQ "business class" nonstop which is definitely less nice but is cheap and would be nonstop to HKT at least. I'd hoped to get my first A350 flight on TG but it's not clear at this point whether the A350 will even be operating to MEL by then. (And Australia-SE Asia is a very good deal on the UA award chart, so it would be a shame to miss out on that bargain.)

Any thoughts or advice?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:54 pm

I would not worry too much. The flight is many month away. I was in Thailand when 'Shutdown Bangkok' going on. During that period I was flying into BKK, spent one night in town, then took a car to Hua Hin, came back after a few nights for another two nights in Bangkok, went out for dinner, and then left. If I would not have read the newspaper I would never had noticed anything unusual.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
I concur. I was in BKK over Xmas back when the military took control ( not when airport was occupied though, that's a diff story) and the city was calm. People were civilised and I felt very safe.

With what's happening in the world today, there is too much to think and worry. Even staying home might not be safe.

Safe travel.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: SQ KF *S, TG ROP *P
life goes on,....

mai pen rai...
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:24 pm
kkl

Ive got a flight in 3 weeks. finger crossed
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I'm here now and leaving in a few days. Not too worried about anything (safety, unrest). I could just see it being rather melancholy for a few days and things coming to a halt (micro level...no things like air travel, BTS) from grief.

I'm on a Jobs in Chiang Mai Facebook group and someone posted how he is going to leave immediately if it happens and so should others...a bit hyperbolic I think.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:20 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by kinchai
I concur. I was in BKK over Xmas back when the military took control ( not when airport was occupied though, that's a diff story) and the city was calm. People were civilised and I felt very safe.

With what's happening in the world today, there is too much to think and worry. Even staying home might not be safe.

Safe travel.
+ 1

I spotted only one military lorry on Rama IV Road with farangs taking selfies in front of it. It was a day or two after the Martial State was announced.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Apparently, the King died at 2:36pm today, announcement to be made shortly. The paranoid Military Junta will announce an 8pm curfew...God knows why.....and you can be sure the bars and entertainment areas will be closed for at least a week, possibly a month.......stock up on beer and red wine...I did today!!!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
Apparently, the King died at 2:36pm today, announcement to be made shortly. The paranoid Military Junta will announce an 8pm curfew...God knows why.....and you can be sure the bars and entertainment areas will be closed for at least a week, possibly a month.......stock up on beer and red wine...I did today!!!
I don't really drink but I just did have 3 glasses of wine at the club lounge in Dusit Thani Krabi.

Was the last curfew for all cities before or only BKK?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
Our king passed away at 15.52 hrs, not the time you mentioned and no curfew announced anywhere in the country.

Where did your information come from?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:48 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Thanks for the thoughts everyone ... will keep the plan as-is for now. Hope the transition is managed peacefully for everyone's sake.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by joy16
Our king passed away at 15.52 hrs, not the time you mentioned and no curfew announced anywhere in the country.

Where did your information come from?
My son attends Bangkok Pattani school and his friend's Mum works for the Royal Household.............timing was slightly off but the information was correct, news media and the Government announced it around 6:15pm but the rumours had been flying way before then. Thank goodness no curfew, and succession has been announced.

RIP to him, he was a good man, a King for the people
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
RIP to a great king!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:25 pm

I was talking with a good friend from my Trauma Surgical Fellowship, he is Thai and said that Thailand truly lost a wonderful person in the death of their King.

I did also ask if it was still a good idea to visit in two weeks and he said he would be surprised if anything really crazy happened. He said the people were expecting it and it should be a little sad, but he felt that things would be relatively normal.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Always some drama queens around....

I will be flying in and out of the kingdom before 1 month lapses after the king's passing away. Not going to change plans, don't see why.

No more soaps or entertainment on TV, for news from anywhere need to look elsewhere...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.