Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Fuel surcharge elimination for Premium classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 7:49 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador

For some reason I wasn't aware of the change previously communicated, called in today to book an award ticket and was pleasantly surprised to hear that as of May 1, additional fuel surcharge on premium classes are temporarily eliminated until further notice. This will save quite a bit. I would assume this applies to paid tickets as well (unless offset by base fare increase)?
Old May 5, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kiam
For some reason I wasn't aware of the change previously communicated, called in today to book an award ticket and was pleasantly surprised to hear that as of May 1, additional fuel surcharge on premium classes are temporarily eliminated until further notice. This will save quite a bit. I would assume this applies to paid tickets as well (unless offset by base fare increase)?
No change in price/taxes that I can see for a V/W ticket purchase a month ago with exactly fare class, compared to a dummy booking moments ago. Maybe just award travel?
Old May 6, 2016, 1:01 pm

I booked mine two days ago to round trip to NRT in First, cost $50 yayyyyy I love TG
Old May 8, 2016, 1:31 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Also for Y award. I booked BKK-ICN return and paid only USD 46 in total taxes/fees.

Amex informed me of this promotion (??) when I called to transfer points. But I had already seen it when I made a dummy award booking.

The Amex rep didn't know for how long this is ongoing or if it's permanent.
Old May 9, 2016, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by hco
Also for Y award. I booked BKK-ICN return and paid only USD 46 in total taxes/fees.

Amex informed me of this promotion (??) when I called to transfer points. But I had already seen it when I made a dummy award booking.

The Amex rep didn't know for how long this is ongoing or if it's permanent.
As far as I understand, the fuel surcharge being eliminated is for premium classes only, no impact to economy award tickets. And it is correct, this is for award tickets, it seems that paid tickets have similar price pre vs. post May 1.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:15 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
As far as I understand, the fuel surcharge being eliminated is for premium classes only, no impact to economy award tickets.
For sure the taxes/fees are reduced also for Y. Like I said, I just booked Y award with total taxes/fees <$50. =)
Old May 9, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Just curious, on the topic of fuel surcharges, has there been any meaningful reduction in fuel surcharges at THAI since fuel prices crashed in the last year or two?
Old May 9, 2016, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
Just curious, on the topic of fuel surcharges, has there been any meaningful reduction in fuel surcharges at THAI since fuel prices crashed in the last year or two?
Even if they reduce fuel surcharge, base fare or other fare components go up to offset, so overall ticket price remains the same. This is not just TG but also some other airlines I have seen. The fact that TG reduces this surcharge on premium class award tickets is a bold move I never thought they would ever do.

Last edited by kiam; May 9, 2016 at 8:06 pm
Old May 16, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Even if they reduce fuel surcharge, base fare or other fare components go up to offset, so overall ticket price remains the same. This is not just TG but also some other airlines I have seen. The fact that TG reduces this surcharge on premium class award tickets is a bold move I never thought they would ever do.
I have just booked two Royal Silk class rewards redemption tickets, CDG-BKK-CDG, out on June 30, return on July 26, and the taxes and charges are almost identical to what I paid last year. I am being told it is THB21,380 per person.

I called ROP customer service and they could not give me the breakdown between airport taxes and fuel surcharges. I asked for a Supervisor and she could also not provide this information.

She said the Y/Q taxes, which apparently are the airline imposed element of the taxes/charges, is THB16,092.

I did a little research online and found that CDG airport taxes amount to €70 or about THB2,791, then add the THB700 that AOT charges and you get about THB3,491. So, allow for some non-airline charges that I am possibly missing and assume the airline element is indeed THB16,092 or about €400, then what is justifying this enormous charge if there has been a reduction in fuel surcharges for Premium Rewards tickets?
Old May 16, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Maybe they have only got rid of them for itineraries originating from Bangkok?
Old May 17, 2016, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thaikwai
I have just booked two Royal Silk class rewards redemption tickets, CDG-BKK-CDG, out on June 30, return on July 26, and the taxes and charges are almost identical to what I paid last year. I am being told it is THB21,380 per person.

I called ROP customer service and they could not give me the breakdown between airport taxes and fuel surcharges. I asked for a Supervisor and she could also not provide this information.

She said the Y/Q taxes, which apparently are the airline imposed element of the taxes/charges, is THB16,092.

I did a little research online and found that CDG airport taxes amount to €70 or about THB2,791, then add the THB700 that AOT charges and you get about THB3,491. So, allow for some non-airline charges that I am possibly missing and assume the airline element is indeed THB16,092 or about €400, then what is justifying this enormous charge if there has been a reduction in fuel surcharges for Premium Rewards tickets?
I would strongly recommend that you try to do a dummy booking for award ticket online ex-CDG and see if the tax amount assessed by TG website is the same as what you were quoted by TG Paris or significantly reduced per the new rule effective May 1. The reduction applies to ex-PEK (Beijing) as well (because I live in PEK and recently issued an award ticket so I cannot imagine CDG would be excluded. Note that award ticket from BKK-CDG-CKK only costs ~4,600 Baht tax/fee (from 20,000+ Baht before). I strongly believe TG Paris charged you an incorrect amount of taxes/fees.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by travelislife
Maybe they have only got rid of them for itineraries originating from Bangkok?
since 1.May TG is including fuel surcharge into all fares originating from Thailand - as they haven't increased the "award ticket-fares" (yet) this new policy is resulting in lower total fares....this new policy doesn't apply to fares originating outside Thailand
Old May 20, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I booked one business award ticket BKK ZRH BKK and it is only 2095 THB! it was over 20k in the past!
Now that's what I call a real award!
Old May 20, 2016, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strictly following the strategic and transformation plans which were closely monitored by the Management and Board of Directors, THAI and its subsidiaries reported a 2015 operating loss of THB 1,304 million from airline business, compared with THB 21,715 million or 93.4% improvement from the same period the previous year due mainly to 11.2% total expense reduction on the back of fuel expense and non-fuel expense resulting from cost management initiatives. Total revenue declined by 1.2% from 2014 mainly from 1.5% reduction in passenger revenue and 21.0% reduction in freight revenue. The main reasons for revenue decline were due to high competition, drop in fuel surcharge and strength in the Baht compared to major currencies.

http://social.thaiairways.com/thai-h...lders-meeting/

THAI executive vice president for commercial Teerapol Chotithanapibal said that next month the carrier would announce a step-by-step cut in its fuel surcharge as part of its target of bringing to zero. The policy will be implemented on selected routes, but he declined to elaborate.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30279403.html
Old May 20, 2016, 8:11 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Aeroplan award ticket in J for October 2016, YUL-Europe with AC and Europe-BKK with TG, round-trip. TG still gets a fuel surcharge - see bolded (that does not come from AC!)

Germany Airport Security Charge $13.30
Thailand Advance Passenger Processing User Charge $2.60
Germany International Passenger Service Charge $31.10
Carrier Surcharge $620.60
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee $25.00
Canada Goods and Services Tax $1.25
Canada Quebec Sales Tax $2.49
Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge $25.91
Italy Passenger Service Charge $1.30
Italy Council City Tax $14.60
Italy Security Charge $4.30
Italy International/Domestic Embarkation Tax $13.80
Thailand Domestic Passenger Service $25.50
Total per passenger $781.75
Total passengers 1
$781.75
Taxes, fees & surcharges (CAD)$781.75

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.