Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage safe at BKK for long layover?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX-Silver, HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
Baggage safe at BKK for long layover?

Hi Folks - apologies if this is the wrong forum, but figured this is the closes match given the pertinent details.

Will be travelling YYZ-YUL-FRA-ICN-BKK-SIN in a couple weeks.

Arriving at 23:05 on TG635 in BKK and then departing the next day to SIN on SQ979 at 18:30.
Question I have is, I'll be checking luggage, so is there any reason not to expect my bags won't make it to my SQ flight after sitting in the airport for 19 hours?
Reason I ask is last time I flew via BKK on a 3 hour stopover (on the way to KUL), my bags didn't make the next flight. Not sure bad luck that time or it's a chronic problem with ground staff.

I figure the only other option is to check my bags only to BKK, and take them out with me, but that's a hassle carrying 2 large suitcases into the city for just one day and having to check them back in the next.

Also heard/read left luggage is not very safe so don't want to risk leaving it there.

Will be travelling in J if that matters.

Thoughts?

Last edited by infy9001; Dec 4, 2015 at 12:54 pm Reason: Left luggage comment; typo in station
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
never had any problems with bags connecting through BKK, whether on short connections of less than 1.5 hours or overnight connections. And I have done many!
must be your bad luck!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
never had any problems with bags on a connection through BKK, whether 1.5 hours or over night connection. and I have done many!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I would never leave my bags for 18 hours, but that's me. Eighteen hours gives at least two shifts of folks an opportunity. Baggage pilferage is always a problem, at many airports including BKK.

Incident last week, admittedly at HKT (Phuket): http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/2...-shoes-luggage

As with most things, everything should be fine, until it isn't.

Assuming you can check your bags through to SIN - if you can't then pick them up after Immigration, clear Customs, then try to check in with TG (this may be possible in J?), or just head into town.

If you can check your bags through, and feel any risk (lost, pilfered), which is probably less than 1%, then go for it. Obviously, don't leave anything valuable/vital in your checked bags.

There's no way for people here, no matter how "experienced" can offer anything but anecdotal experiences.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
I am also interested in thoughts on this topic albeit a different type of layover...

I am on a HKG-BKK-LHR-BKK-HKG ticket in First over the xmas period. I have a layover in BKK on the outbound during which I will be playing a lot of golf.

On the way back I don't have any layover (and can't insert one at this stage) so will be connecting directly from the LHR-BKK flight to the BKK-HKG flight.

I don't really want to drag my golf bag all the way to the UK with me as it won't be used and it is an unnecessary risk of the clubs getting damaged.

Ideally I would like to drop the bags at the airport when I check in for my BKK - LHR leg. Either check them in then for the later BKK-HKG segment on my return OR put them into long term storage. I am not sure if either is possible, particularly the strage idea as I don't think I will be allowed out from Airside to collect them and check them in.

Any ideas how to get around this or am I going to need to take them with me to the UK?

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, Freccia Alata Gold, Top Bonus Gold, H Honours Diamond, Starwood Gold, SQ, NZ, QF
Take them to LHR and leave with left luggage in T2. TG will look after your clubs in F and you can then leave with numerous left luggage providers in LHR (just do a search) but one's called the excess baggage co from recollection. You can then pick them up on your return segment and check them to HKG. You'll have a 70 kilo luggage allowance in F so no weight issues I assume.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long is your return layover in BKK?

Assuming you have enough time you could utilize the land-side baggage storage facility.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
I think I have around 90 mins which could be enough time but presumably I will have to pay a fee to process through security/immigration and back in again. Also there is the risk of delay on the LHR-BKK leg meaning I won't have enough time to go out and in again.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Personally I would never leave my bags for 18 hours, but that's me. Eighteen hours gives at least two shifts of folks an opportunity. Baggage pilferage is always a problem, at many airports including BKK.

Incident last week, admittedly at HKT (Phuket): http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/2...-shoes-luggage

As with most things, everything should be fine, until it isn't.

Assuming you can check your bags through to SIN - if you can't then pick them up after Immigration, clear Customs, then try to check in with TG (this may be possible in J?), or just head into town.

If you can check your bags through, and feel any risk (lost, pilfered), which is probably less than 1%, then go for it. Obviously, don't leave anything valuable/vital in your checked bags.

There's no way for people here, no matter how "experienced" can offer anything but anecdotal experiences.
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I was looking for personal experiences. Given the limited sample size here compared to world-wide travellers, I was wondering if more often than not people experienced issues or not. Seems to be no one has reported any issues specifically with this station.

Sort of like if you ask me what baggage wait times are at YYZ I will tell you, every single traveller I know coming back to YYZ has waited on average an hour for their bags as YYZ is atrocious for slow baggage handling.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems to be no one has reported any issues specifically with this station.

Well, there have been hundreds of "issues", and various theft rings broken up, at SBIA/BKK since it opened in 2006. I personally have not had any issues, nor have I read any reports in the press recently.

The "left-luggage" service is land-side on level 4, and it looks like there is one on level 2.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/e...orage-services
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I assume you mean that you arrive in BKK not ICN at 11pm.
Besides the theft risk, there is always the risk that your bags will be misplace in this long layover, especially between two airlines. they will be stored in a waiting area until they start preparing bags for SQ979. At any airport there is a risk that your bags will be misplaced and not loaded after such a long layover.
What is the risk of either event? Probably very small. Personally, I would never take the risk. It is a small hassle to take the bags onboard your taxi and recheck the the next day at SQ counter. it might be a bigger hassle if they get lost.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the advice. I think I'll go with taking them out with me and re-checking ^

Oh..yes.. I mean..arriving in BKK at 11pm.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by infy9001
Thanks guys for the advice. I think I'll go with taking them out with me and re-checking ^

Oh..yes.. I mean..arriving in BKK at 11pm.
I think this is wise. It's certainly what I would do. As others have said, while the risk is small, I'd be concerned the bag would be 'forgotten' in some remote holding point at the airport for that length of time.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I've had multiple overnight connections in BKK with checked bags and never had problems.

That's no guarantee you'll be fine though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.