Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

thai airways still safe to fly should i cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

thai airways still safe to fly should i cancel

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

As above i am due to fly with thai airways in sepember given all there finacial and worse now safety problems im wondering if i should cancel and rebook else where to do this would cost 600 pounds extra i need some advice
Hopefully got this in the right place this time moderators please delete old threads

Last edited by JDiver; May 15, 2015 at 4:41 pm Reason: Merge posts
Old May 15, 2015, 2:19 am

they are perfectly safe to fly... Save your money and don't worry!
Old May 15, 2015, 2:27 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
agree with Thai777
I fly with them several times per month and feel safe
Old May 15, 2015, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Cool start to read fincial problems and countries cracking down on a airline over safety makes you wonder
Old May 15, 2015, 4:35 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
I always felt and still feel safe with TG. It is all about (fake) face in Thailand and these people are very good in keeping it, especially for the "national" airline.

This said, there are many other reasons which would rather not make me fly TG. Personal subjective ones, but also their substandard premium product and the omnipresent TIP's in the corresponding cabins. F is worst for this.
Old May 15, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I've flown Thai several times in the last few months. No problems whatsoever.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by chris555
As above to cancel and rebook else where will cost 600 pounds (uk) im not keen on crashing on a long haul flight to thailand i seevthey have alot of problems so please advise
You may want to take a look at the Thai Airways forum...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...chid-plus-503/
Old May 15, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
I'll try to put it into perspective.

TG flies to 33 countries world wide.

3 Countries that have banned TG from adding new flights:
  • China
  • South Korea
  • Japan

Pre-exisiting flights weren't affected by the ban as I understand it because I flew TG to Japan in early April.

If spending that 600 GBP will buy you peace of mind that is above and beyond 600 GBP then go for it.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 15, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Old May 15, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If anything you might be safest with TG given all the focus and attention re: international safety standards of late.

TG really hasn't any significant incidents of late save a runway issue in 2013 (no fatalities, other than the logos on the aircraft), and an empty 737 which burned at the gate at DMK (maybe one ground fatality?) in 2001. Admittedly they had a bad run in 90's but that's hardly relevant today.

Regarding financials, they did just return to profitability (based on a weaker baht, and lower fuel prices) and did show some increased numbers (load), so as long as your route is not on the chopping block - and it would have been announced by now - you should be good to go.
Old May 16, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
As above i am due to fly with thai (sic) airways (sic) in sepember (sic) given all there (sic) finacial (sic) and worse now safety problems im wondering if i should cancel and rebook else where to do this would cost 600 pounds extra i need some advice
Hopefully got this in the right place this time moderators please delete old threads
Better do not travel at all...
Old May 16, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I think your concerns are somewhat irrational and can (to some degree) be attached to any airline at some point in time. I would not hesitate to fly TG again, and actually prefer them to many other airlines. You should be fine.

SunLover
Old May 16, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

thats cool thanks guys, im not afraid of flying normally maybe just seen one plane crash investigation to many. they always always start with the company being like this, that said i did find it strange not to see Europe or usa cracking the whip so assumed it did not affect the long haul part of the business as much as the short haul/ budget operations.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SunLover
I think your concerns are somewhat irrational
Actually, I think most aviation professionals would rate TG, along with quite a few other airlines around the world, as higher risks than the airlines which are generally viewed as safest (e.g., BA, LH, QF, and the US legacies). Statistically, the increased risk is not significant, however, and the likelihood of an incident is basically random and completely unpredictable. A good example is the GermanWings suicide pilot. LH is viewed as one of the safest airlines in the world, and yet . . . .
Old May 16, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
thats cool thanks guys, im not afraid of flying normally maybe just seen one plane crash investigation to many. they always always start with the company being like this, that said i did find it strange not to see Europe or usa cracking the whip so assumed it did not affect the long haul part of the business as much as the short haul/ budget operations.
Which plane crashes are you referring to specifically?

I ask because I don't recall Malaysian Airlines, Air Asia, Trans-asia, Asiana Airlines, German Wings, Turkish Airlines or Delta facing anything like Thai Airways International is facing: being notified ICAO on their safety issues.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, I think most aviation professionals would rate TG, along with quite a few other airlines around the world, as higher risks than the airlines which are generally viewed as safest (e.g., BA, LH, QF, and the US legacies). Statistically, the increased risk is not significant, however, and the likelihood of an incident is basically random and completely unpredictable. A good example is the GermanWings suicide pilot. LH is viewed as one of the safest airlines in the world, and yet . . . .
so would you then rate ALL Asian Airlines as a higher risk then those mentioned from Europe, USA and Australia? Also SQ, CX, JAL, NH just to name a few etc.?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.