Search

Is Royal Silk as good as peers?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM

Hi

Thai appear to operate 747 on the LHR-BKK route, but looking on their website/seatguru it looks like the Business seats may be the old style, i.e. not fully flat- am guessing this is why they are so much cheaper than others (same price as BA WT+). Can anyone confirm? How comfortable is the 747 in Royal Silk?

Thanks

Last edited by 2358; Apr 9, 2015 at 2:58 pm Reason: Wrong airport
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LHRORD
Hi

Thai appear to operate 747 on the LHR-BKK route, but looking on their website/seatguru it looks like the Business seats may be the old style, i.e. not fully flat- am guessing this is why they are so much cheaper than others (same price as BA WT+). Can anyone confirm? How comfortable is the 747 in Royal Silk?

Thanks
not full flat on 747 in J! but soon A380 will fly to London and that is certainly top notch!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Hi

Thanks
It's not particularly comfortable for sleeping.

As mentioned, A380 operates the route from 1st July.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
I am the dissenter..!

While i like the privacy and all-aisle access of the new staggered seating I found it to have much less personal space in bed mode and actually very uncomfortable for sleeping. Effectively from your waist down you are sleeping in a tunnel.

At 6ft 5" the bed is too short so i need to sleep on my side and bend my legs and there simply wasnt space to do this. Give me the old regular seat any day... Having said that 90% of the population is probably fine in this seat.

But given a choice between BA Y+ or TG J for the same money it would be an absolute no brainer to still take TG..
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cmdsea
At 6ft 5" the bed is too short so i need to sleep on my side and bend my legs and there simply wasnt space to do this. Give me the old regular seat any day... Having said that 90% of the population is probably fine in this seat.
then I am part of the 90% of the population!
many other airlines have such staggered seating in J with your legs in a "tunnel" for sleeping. That's the disadvantage for going full flat and keeping pitches low
but I prefer tunnelled full flat over angle-flat anytime!
Old Apr 10, 2015, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Thanks for the responses!

Sounds like BA's C beats Thai's Royal Silk then, as ability to sleep is important.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!

Sounds like BA's C beats Thai's Royal Silk then, as ability to sleep is important.
Yes, you will almost certainly be more comfortable sleeping in CW.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:11 pm
soy

Programs: various

Both are mid-range C. I would decide on price as there are so many variables that could give the edge to one over the other
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond

If BR is reasonable on price, their business class is good too (only comparing direct flights between LHR and BKK here).
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: Velocity Gold

BR I reckon is one of the best business classes out there on their long haul aircraft.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kinchai
If BR is reasonable on price, their business class is good too (only comparing direct flights between LHR and BKK here).
I was just about to say that! On LHR-BKK BR is your best bet....and they serve Dom in C **clink clink**. As posted above the 744's do not have the new C seats, on the 388's and 77W's. See my Thailand TR below for TG 744, 388 and 77W seat photos.

Have a good trip!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:13 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelislife
BR I reckon is one of the best business classes out there on their long haul aircraft.
+ 1

Also OP is UA-1K, so sticking to a *A carrier makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.