FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1641827-new-thai-airways-please-post-your-questions-here.html)

CPH-Flyer Apr 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by rugbyshirt (Post 29623863)
Thanks, that's good to know. SeatGuru is only showing "version 2" of THAI's 747 with no sign of "version 1," and they claim version 2 only has overhead screens, but of course we also all know that SeatGuru isn't complete and must be taken with a grain of salt!

The version sestguru shows has not flown in years.

MikeFromTokyo Apr 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by rugbyshirt (Post 29623863)
Thanks, that's good to know. SeatGuru is only showing "version 2" of THAI's 747 with no sign of "version 1," and they claim version 2 only has overhead screens, but of course we also all know that SeatGuru isn't complete and must be taken with a grain of salt!

The Y and J cabins on 744, I believe, are always the same. The only difference I am aware of is in the F cabin layout, with the refurbished cabins with nine semi-enclosed suites, as opposed to the slightly older - but still very comfortable - F seats in the older versions.

I don’t understand why a non operational IFE screen would even matter on a one hour~ flight. My advice is to buy J tickets, as you will have a generously sized personal IFE screen to watch the flight path and information right in front of you. If you can get assigned row 1~3 seats, you’ll have a beautiful screen in what would normally be First class on an int’l flight (domestically only Y and J fares are sold).

Thai-Kiwi Apr 11, 2018 10:54 pm

Just to add that you can't make domestic seat allocations until OLCI 24 hours prior. There are a few exceptions when the flight has an international flight number and is an extension of a long haul (BKK-HKT-FRA I think).

rugbyshirt Apr 13, 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 29630710)
I don’t understand why a non operational IFE screen would even matter on a one hour~ flight. My advice is to buy J tickets, as you will have a generously sized personal IFE screen to watch the flight path and information right in front of you. If you can get assigned row 1~3 seats, you’ll have a beautiful screen in what would normally be First class on an int’l flight (domestically only Y and J fares are sold).

As I said, I wasn't particularly invested in having IFE for an hourlong flight, I was more curious about the conflicting info I was seeing online, whether a cabin with flipdown screens suggested an interior that's seen better days, and (also) whether any decent airline was really still flying 747s with flipdowns.

This flight is part of the free Excursionist leg from a United Economy award ticket, so J is not an option. And it's such a short flight that unless the price difference were minuscule I wouldn't bother paying extra for J anyway.

MikeFromTokyo Apr 13, 2018 10:42 am

Originally Posted by rugbyshirt (Post 29636475)
As I said, I wasn't particularly invested in having IFE for an hourlong flight, I was more curious about the conflicting info I was seeing online, whether a cabin with flipdown screens suggested an interior that's seen better days, and (also) whether any decent airline was really still flying 747s with flipdowns.

This flight is part of the free Excursionist leg from a United Economy award ticket, so J is not an option. And it's such a short flight that unless the price difference were minuscule I wouldn't bother paying extra for J anyway.

All of TG’s aircraft are perfectly acceptable. The 747-400 is still the Queen of the Skies, and one of the greatest aircraft ever built. Anything on TG is nicer than a UA aircraft of comparable age.

rugbyshirt Apr 13, 2018 10:56 am

Ha ha--"nicer than a UA aircraft" is good to hear, though not particularly difficult to achieve! :D (Although I really can't complain about UA. I've had ups and downs on all the major US airlines but I find UA, DL, and AA all average out to be about the same in my experience. If anything I tend to get older, more raggedy planes when I fly AA.)

I'm looking forward to flying THAI for the first time! I've heard good things. And we're connecting in BKK to an Ethiopian flight so it'll be two new airlines for me that day (plus a new aircraft: the ET flight is a 787).

MikeFromTokyo Apr 13, 2018 11:06 am

Originally Posted by rugbyshirt (Post 29636614)
Ha ha--"nicer than a UA aircraft" is good to hear, though not particularly difficult to achieve! :D (Although I really can't complain about UA. I've had ups and downs on all the major US airlines but I find UA, DL, and AA all average out to be about the same in my experience. If anything I tend to get older, more raggedy planes when I fly AA.)

I'm looking forward to flying THAI for the first time! I've heard good things. And we're connecting in BKK to an Ethiopian flight so it'll be two new airlines for me that day (plus a new aircraft: the ET flight is a 787).

The TG 747-400 in F is my favorite way to fly. It’s a fine aircraft in any cabin.

TG is one of the best airlines in the region. SQ is the only Star Alliance airline in the region that likely has a better hard product. I rank TG above NH and OZ, for example. YMMV. In any case, you don’t have to avoid any aircraft type. Enjoy your trip^

rugbyshirt Apr 13, 2018 11:24 am

Thanks! We're actually flying SQ from LHR-SIN and OZ from HKG-ICN-ORD on this trip, too. I've flown SQ before and enjoyed it, but OZ will be new to us. I decided I'd go for OZ rather than UA for that long transpacific flight home. I hear Asiana's IFE leaves something to be desired, but the seat pitch and width seem promising, and I'm fine with loading my iPad up with movies. I don't think of myself as particularly picky, really, though I like to know in advance what I'm getting.

As for ANA, their business class IAD-NRT was amazing, but their econ flights around Asia were only OK-ish and NRT-ORD in economy was MISERABLE. I'm 6'4" and broad-shouldered, so I felt like I was sitting in children's furniture, could not move my arms, and it was absolutely sweltering in the cabin with zero air circulation. Never again.

MikeFromTokyo Apr 13, 2018 11:44 am

Originally Posted by rugbyshirt (Post 29636728)
Thanks! We're actually flying SQ from LHR-SIN and OZ from HKG-ICN-ORD on this trip, too. I've flown SQ before and enjoyed it, but OZ will be new to us. I decided I'd go for OZ rather than UA for that long transpacific flight home. I hear Asiana's IFE leaves something to be desired, but the seat pitch and width seem promising, and I'm fine with loading my iPad up with movies. I don't think of myself as particularly picky, really, though I like to know in advance what I'm getting.

As for ANA, their business class IAD-NRT was amazing, but their econ flights around Asia were only OK-ish and NRT-ORD in economy was MISERABLE. I'm 6'4" and broad-shouldered, so I felt like I was sitting in children's furniture, could not move my arms, and it was absolutely sweltering in the cabin with zero air circulation. Never again.

Y is much better on TG! NH and JL have ridiculous Y leg room, as if everyone were still the height of older generations of Japanese! I can’t even imagine that at 6’4”, it’s unbearable to me at 5’9”.

TG had, I believe, won awards for IFE. It has an exhaustive selection of movies and television shows. I once even watched Family Guy in F on the way to BKK! F seat also allows you to plug in an iPad or whatever and watch anything you have yourself.

Re J, that will depend on aircraft type. Some layouts are better than others with TG. I can say that TG’s best J cabins are much better than NH’s, but if an older angled lie flat is offered, the opposite could be true in other cases. As TG is moving toward a two class business model on many routes, they really have put beautiful J cabins on their newest long haul aircraft. Really nice, spacious, and private inverse herringbone lie flay J seats.

On your HKT flight try to snag a bulkhead or exit row Y seat for legroom!

CPH-Flyer Apr 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 29636827)

Y is much better on TG! NH and JL have ridiculous Y leg room, as if everyone were still the height of older generations of Japanese! I can’t even imagine that at 6’4”, it’s unbearable to me at 5’9”.

TG had, I believe, won awards for IFE. It has an exhaustive selection of movies and television shows. I once even watched Family Guy in F on the way to BKK! F seat also allows you to plug in an iPad or whatever and watch anything you have yourself.

Re J, that will depend on aircraft type. Some layouts are better than others with TG. I can say that TG’s best J cabins are much better than NH’s, but if an older angled lie flat is offered, the opposite could be true in other cases. As TG is moving toward a two class business model on many routes, they really have put beautiful J cabins on their newest long haul aircraft. Really nice, spacious, and private inverse herringbone lie flay J seats.

On your HKT flight try to snag a bulkhead or exit row Y seat for legroom!

What do you mean JL has ridiculous legroom? Ridiculously much? All their long haul cabins comes with 34" and by far most of their regional planes does as well. Flying anything beyond Seoul, Taipei, and Shanghai you have to be very unlucky to find anything below 34", if at all it is going to happen. JAL Y is very likely the most comfortable Y available anywhere.

MikeFromTokyo Apr 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29638221)
What do you mean JL has ridiculous legroom? Ridiculously much? All their long haul cabins comes with 34" and by far most of their regional planes does as well. Flying anything beyond Seoul, Taipei, and Shanghai you have to be very unlucky to find anything below 34", if at all it is going to happen. JAL Y is very likely the most comfortable Y available anywhere.

I haven’t flown Y in many years. When I did on JL 744, it was abysmally uncomfortable. If they’ve changed that, that’s good to know.

CPH-Flyer Apr 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 29638243)

I haven’t flown Y in many years. When I did on JL 744, it was abysmally uncomfortable. If they’ve changed that, that’s good to know.

Since the bankruptcy they have invested heavily in their cabins For F and J there are arguments as pro and cons, but Sky Wider and Sky Wider II Y seats are without a question the best Y seats out there. They still have 2-4-2 on 787 and 3-3-3 or 3-4-2 on 777.

There are before I get carried away, three long haul routes that comes with more standard seats, KIX LAX, NRT SAN, NRT YVR. Plus some Asian runs with these birds, for the longer ones mainly HAN But these seats are while inferior on JAL equivalent to what is offered on TG and other Asian airlines. Still 2-4-2 for a 787 which I believe Thai does as 3-3-3

MikeFromTokyo Apr 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29638265)
Since the bankruptcy they have invested heavily in their cabins For F and J there are arguments as pro and cons, but Sky Wider and Sky Wider II Y seats are without a question the best Y seats out there. They still have 2-4-2 on 787 and 3-3-3 or 3-4-2 on 777.

There are before I get carried away, three long haul routes that comes with more standard seats, KIX LAX, NRT SAN, NRT YVR. Plus some Asian runs with these birds, for the longer ones mainly HAN But these seats are while inferior on JAL equivalent to what is offered on TG and other Asian airlines. Still 2-4-2 for a 787 which I believe Thai does as 3-3-3

I stand corrected re JL. My knowledge ot TG Y is only based on what friends have told me, as well as observation. Apparently my comment was outdated information as JL have improved their product substantially.

MattJ Apr 18, 2018 6:04 am

Hi all, just a general question in regards to the worth of joining Thai Royal Orchid Plus.

I'm based in PER, Australia.

Currently Platinum with VA (Which is great for EY and somewhat SQ). EY will finish up serving Perth in Oct so only four more chances for me to visit the F lounge this year en route to Europe.

I have 5-6 Euro Flights a year in Y, client pays, this year it’s 7-8 plus two to Sydney and Broome with Virgin Australia.

VA Plat doesn’t get me into the nicer SQ lounges in SIN if flying with SQ but should I start a status up with KrisFlyer?

I like the looks of Thai’s Royal Orchid and their flights to Europe are well priced! But know the lower end of ticket might not earn me the miles.. I've calculated a min of 3,000 miles per sector via BKK and I need a minimum of 30,000 to reach Gold to earn more I could continue to fly with other *A Airlines to Europe and then AirNZ again for my yearly trip to Mexico

Thoughts? Join Thai *A or try to build up with SQ Kris Flyer?

BinSabai Apr 18, 2018 8:19 am

depends on where in Europe you have to fly
SQ's *A Gold Lounge in Singapore is worse then TG's biz Lounges in BKK