Search

How to use up milage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: ROP GOLD + UA 1K
How to use up milage

Hi Guys,
My travelling for the company has been cut back and I will find it impossible to retain my Thai Gold Card I have 177,684 miles that I HAVE to use before the end of June. I want to go to Bangkok the last week in May. So what is the best way for me to use up these miles.

Cheers
Lost
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: Thai ROP Gold, BMI DC (RIP), Avios
Hello LostInAmsterdam,

There's not much info in your post to give useful replies ! If you HAVE to use the miles before end of June, you better get booking some premium cabin flights ASAP to Bangkok or beyond !

However, note that miles expiring in June means bookings have to be made before then, rather than Flights taken before then.

Do you have any GUP vouchers from your time as Gold left ? Have you used your 2012 Gold Award (50% miles reduction).

Are Hotel vouchers a sensible way of banking some value from expiring Miles ? (IMHO, give OK value if used at top-end properties). These are valid for a year from issue.

Perhaps if you give some more details, you will get some better responses !

Regards, Graham
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
do you have a total of 177,684 miles or do you even have more miles but those 177,684 are "expiring" by end of June (or originally by end of December 2012 already)????
Consumption of expiring miles does not mean that they need to be "flown" or taken advantage of by Ugrades by the end of June but only that the ticket mus have been issued or that the hotel vouchers must have been issued etc (as already said by a.m. statement by gwhiteuk). Thus think twice and contact your local TG office for additional and more in depth information and maybe even suggestions....
Also consider that you can nominate four other persons to take advantage of your miles ..... so also consider a nice birthday present or take any other opportunity to make a nice gift to someone you appreciate......
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ROP GOLD + UA 1K
@gwhiteuk You are right there was not a lot of information in the post, my bad.

I have not flown TG for ages and I have not used my vouchers either.

@Creole Spirit
Member ID : NEXXXXX Status : GOLD
Current Mileage : 287,660
Miles expiring on 31-Dec-2012 : 177,725

Here is the latest communication I have had with the London office of TG

You have one complimentary upgrade for a return ticket, you would not use any air miles, you would only pay the tax difference. You also have one 50% award ticket to use, you would only use half of the miles normally needed for a return ticket. You must get tickets issued for both by 30th of June 2013 when your Gold status expires, even if your travel date are later this year.

So if I book a Q Class ticket I can update for free (well almost) with my comp upgrate.

But its the 50% award ticket that I confused about. Could I book LHR-BKK-LHR-BKK-LHR and get upgraded on all them for 50% of the miles?

Cheers

Lost

Sorry about the lack of information before
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:36 pm
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by LostInAmsterdam
@gwhiteuk You are right there was not a lot of information in the post, my bad.

I have not flown TG for ages and I have not used my vouchers either.

@Creole Spirit
Member ID : NEXXXXX Status : GOLD
Current Mileage : 287,660
Miles expiring on 31-Dec-2012 : 177,725

Here is the latest communication I have had with the London office of TG

You have one complimentary upgrade for a return ticket, you would not use any air miles, you would only pay the tax difference. You also have one 50% award ticket to use, you would only use half of the miles normally needed for a return ticket. You must get tickets issued for both by 30th of June 2013 when your Gold status expires, even if your travel date are later this year.

So if I book a Q Class ticket I can update for free (well almost) with my comp upgrate.

But its the 50% award ticket that I confused about. Could I book LHR-BKK-LHR-BKK-LHR and get upgraded on all them for 50% of the miles?

Cheers

Lost

Sorry about the lack of information before
The complimentary upgrade (GUP) bumps your booking one class, from econ to bus or bus to first, subject to purchasing a suitable fare in the first place. I don't believe you could apply it to a LHR-BKK-LHR-BKK-LHR booking, but would be delighted to learn otherwise.

The 50% deal allows you to make a redemption booking on TG for 50% of the normal points, it's not an upgrade at 50% of normal points.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by hgp
The complimentary upgrade (GUP) bumps your booking one class, from econ to bus or bus to first, subject to purchasing a suitable fare in the first place. I don't believe you could apply it to a LHR-BKK-LHR-BKK-LHR booking, but would be delighted to learn otherwise.

The 50% deal allows you to make a redemption booking on TG for 50% of the normal points, it's not an upgrade at 50% of normal points.
indeed - its not so easy....
The GUP gives you the next upgrade for free, but - as far as I know - not a free upgrade on a free ticket.....that shouldn't work, I believe, and a LHR-BKK-LHR-BKK-LHR trip will never be regarded and treated as one ticket only! It does make a difference if you want to fly back and forth and back and forth again or if you fly to BKK and beyond to Down Under and then back to BKK and Europe again....
You could use the GUP on your first /next trip and then use mileage ticket(s) for the next trip(s) to come......
You really should consider to invite someone (or two) people for free - a free C-ticket (something like approx 125K ROP miles for one person or for two persons when considering the 50% discount offer, always taxes/charges to be paid) when you will use your GUP-Upgrade, coupled with a free hotel voucher.
Or consider to use this big amount of miles for a Star Alliance partner flight to somewhere else, Trans (or South) Atlantic or so....

Just make sure you will have made and completed full ARRANGEMENTS by the end of June! And at least for the flights, there should always be the opportunity to change the flight dates later again (if seat buckets are available) for a decent charge.....

Last edited by Creole Spirit; Apr 18, 2013 at 11:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.