Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU-BKK in C, afternoon or night departure?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

EU-BKK in C, afternoon or night departure?

Hi there,

I am currently looking at taking my gf on a vacation in Thailand in C and I´m having difficulties on deciding with TG flights to take:

So it seems that TG has EU-BKK flights around midday (departure between 1200 and 1500) and the usual night departures from 2100 onwards.

Recently I took LX180 departing sometime around 2300 and the C service was a little disappointing as the meal service was a quick and simplified one and then there was basically mandatory shut-eye time until 1-2 hrs out of BKK.

Anyways, here´s (finally) the issue at hand:
With my gf, I want to give TG a try, however, I´d like to make sure she gets wowed. As I haven´t used TG C before, can anyone give me some info on their meal services and if TG practices the blinds-must-close-now-go-to-sleep even on midday departures?

Thanks for any pointers.

If TG´s no better than LX, I´ll stick with LX for the better seats. OS and LH are out of question for me for seat roulette and abysmal seat/food, respectively. I usually like SQ, though their C layout is not made for couples.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: TG/ROP*P; CX OW/G; LH M&M; UN Privilege; KC Nomad; IT Kingclub; SPG Platinum
Hello hwmorth,

if I would like to get a TG afternoon departure with wow-effect, take TG921 using Airbus 380-800 out of FRA to BKK. returning take TG920 for same A/C.

its their newest hard product by A/C and seat (fully flat).
they use new sogerma solstys seats http://www.sogerma.eads.net/Solstys

for travel with companion, your seat reservation should read "E" & "F" seats.
no any other seats are good for companion travel on 388 in C.

TG offers option for pre-booked meal in C-Class, however I would suggest just eat what's on the in-flight menu.

there are two meals on TG921: hot meal after take off, and breakfast before arrival.

hot meal usually is:
welcome drink (champagne, or juices offered)
after take-off (snack, aperitif)
starters (plate of cold dish usually)
salads
bread selection
main course (choice of usually four different meals, or pre-order)
cheeses and fruits
coffee, cakes and digestif
reasonable, quite ok wine-list

service on TG is "hit and miss", anyways since E/F seats are in the center of the plane, windows-shut is not an issue as no windows for you... lights off might be. however, lights-off not immediately enforced after meal finished, as of my experience. lights dimmed will be. ...and you wont disturb anybody much if you'd like to on your lights in your E/F cosy cabin

on an afternoon departure ex FRA east-bound it will get dark pretty soon and a good dose of sleep in the A/C would help you to survive the early morning arrival in BKK and the full day following.

don't forget to make use of the fast track immigration when entering Thailand flying TG C (available on the far right hand side of east immigration).

enjoy your vacation!

boogey
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:23 am

May I quote somkiat from another thread?

Please be aware that your expected dailight F experience will result in a couple of elderly overweight ladies serving you lunch , trying to put the shades down and thereafter disappear for ever making noise in the galey. A burdon that is easier to survive once dead asleep following excessive consumption of liquids . Alternatively you could spend your time composing a new thread about low quality of food , wine and plane .

You can easily replace the "F" by "C" or "Y". This is exactly what you get. Well, in "Y" chances are the ladies are less old.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I prefer the night flights ex. Europe. Yes, the service is rushed but you are able to get a good night sleep and you have a short day in BKK before you can go to bed in the night.

If you take the day flight you will not sleep much on the plane and arrive BKK very exhausted + you have a looong day ahead of you in BKK before you can go to sleep.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by Fan2502
May I quote somkiat from another thread?

Please be aware that your expected dailight F experience will result in a couple of elderly overweight ladies serving you lunch , trying to put the shades down and thereafter disappear for ever making noise in the galey. A burdon that is easier to survive once dead asleep following excessive consumption of liquids . Alternatively you could spend your time composing a new thread about low quality of food , wine and plane .

You can easily replace the "F" by "C" or "Y". This is exactly what you get. Well, in "Y" chances are the ladies are less old.
That has never been my experience, thankfully! ^

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
Aforementioned somkiat speaks as follows :

I constantly use Thai not because I think they are the greatest thing under the sun but because they deliver myself and my luggage at reasonable prices under fully acceptable circumstances from Germany to Thailand and/or China . In case a better solution comes up I will use that one . And if after departure somebody came long telling me they forgot the catering I would buy a bottle from duty free and not even write furious letters somewhere . Being drunk is good against jetlag , helps sleeping and creates internal peace . If the traveller nows climbs on a Thai Airways Plc operated aeroplane expecting 5 star drinks , food and services he better think twice . Also hotels with discounted room rates and easily available award accomodation do not belong to the Amari group .

Mr hwmorth targeting on a maximum of enjoyment my recommendation would be as follows , all depending on individual taste of course :

Eastbound take an evening flight preferably catching a 747 evening departure even with non full flat C-seats . Reason being you can sit together in a somewhat more civilised way and at the window unlike on the 777 . Westbound clearly the best option would be the A380 , departure around midnight . Read what Mr boogey says about seat choice .

Out of maybe 6 long haul legs / year I would say 5 times the attendants are in a panic to disappear asap after serving meals ; 6 times the drinks are fine and food I cannot specify due to not interested but only because my preferences have little in common with airline food .

Addendum : Attendants in C on average offer 25 years less age and kilo than in F . Normally .
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:20 am

Programs: LH FTL, UA 1K MM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Consider using CPH Departures. Good connections from most of Europe and F Seats (sometimes not the freshest...) for C Miles / Fare
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by somkiat
I constantly use Thai not because I think they are the greatest thing under the sun but because they deliver myself and my luggage at reasonable prices under fully acceptable circumstances

Addendum : Attendants in C on average offer 25 years less age and kilo than in F . Normally .
I totally concur - TG are great value for money in premium cabins. ^

However, I am not sure what the age and weight has to do with the quality of the flight? All seems a bit ageist and discriminating to make such a judgement? Am I reading this correctly?

Cheers,

Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
I fully agree with the suggestion to fly at late night on your outbound trip and would even suggest to take the daylight flight back to Europe....because no airline seat can beat a real bed in your hotel in Asia or later at home! I even stay awake on my (daylight) return flights from Thailand and Japan for 12 hours and therefore never have any difficulty to (have) overcome jet lag within one day. If being forced to depart by midday from Europe and arrive early morning (such as my recent flights by CX to HKG and by CI to TPE) I had to experience that my hotel room was not yet available by 9am, thus I was forced to wait for about 2hrs...
Concerning service: its certainly true that TG's staff follows the policy of "its sleeping time and the shades must be closed" but this is not a unique thing with TG and i am normally strong enough to ignore their command.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
Am I reading this correctly?
No
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by somkiat
No
OK.

Well, what do you mean?

Cheers,

Last edited by Airgroovin; Feb 4, 2013 at 2:03 pm
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Night flight ex EU everytime and day flight ex BKK coming home. Best combination by a long way for jet lag.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your tips. So in the end I went with TG923 out of FRA and secured seats in the forward upper deck for my +1 and me. As it turns out my +1 never flew C before, so she should be impressed no matter what

On the trip back, we´re taking SQ346 out of SIN - it´s about time I try a 388.

I´m curious and will let you know how it all turned out.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by steve170461
Night flight ex EU everytime and day flight ex BKK coming home. Best combination by a long way for jet lag.
That is true, on an afternoon departure from Europe I hardly sleep, arrive in Bangkok at 6am and need to sleep. On the evening departure i usually have a deent sleep, arrive at 3pm and have enough strength to stay awake till evening.

The afternoon departure from Bangkok to Europe arrives around 7pm in europe and once you are home you can sleep and keep your normal schedule easier.

Globalist

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.