Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You don't miss it till you aint got it.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG Platinum, SQ Gold, Gold - you're indestructable...
You don't miss it till you aint got it.

Well, just back from South Africa. Took the TG 380 to BKK then on the 777 to JoBurg. Flights on both legs were good, even though they were a few crew down on the SIN-BKK 380 flight. My mum loved her J vegetarian meal... Which is a GOOD THING.

To JoBurg, exemplary service. Proactive, friendly and at times almost too many 'would you like more' 'can I help' and plenty of 'by name'. All washed down with the seat next to me empty (Oh 11k, how I love thee).

So TG often gets a beating for its service. I'm a big advocate, but a big enough boy to rant when it doesn't work out (ask my partner... 'JJ when you're angry it's like the whole cabin is sprinkled with broken glass')...

So I had the chance to return home early (rare for me) IF I switched to EK back via Dubai. Which incidentally for a one way walk up was precisely HALF the price of SQ.

Had a brand spanking new 773ER on the way back and the seat was majestic. New, shiny, everything worked. More flat screens than an electronics shop. And onwards to SIN a little older airframe, similar seats, but I bit 'smoked in' if you know what I mean (the ageing airline grey hue sets in non?).

Let me tell you this for sure. Seats, better. Screens, better. Gorgeous EK flannels that I half inched (I'm addicted to cloths) better.

Service. Mediocre. I was told they no longer wheel a drinks trolly through and only take on drink order per meal. They do throw around a wine holder, but anything else, you need to ring and ask.

I found this HUGELY fustrating as I hate belling for stuff. But it was the ONLY way.

The service is akin to TK, it's 'there' but a little dead behind the eyes. In fact both flights (although fully crewed) felt a bit like they were a man down. There was just NOTHING proactive. NOTHING.

And I find that irritating in a business class seat.

Polar opposite of Thai. Say what you will about the inconsistency, but I can't remember the last time I needed to ring a call bell to ask for water, a coffee or a glass of wine with my meal. Just Hasn't Happened.

So there. A curate's egg and a game of two halves. But I fly for service, warmth and proactivity. And I get it on Thai, mostly.

For the record I DETEST the business class lounge at Dubai. Hate it. Maybe it's because I'm not a size queen - bigger isn't always better.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
A slightly different twist but similar thoughts.....

Last weekend we departed SIN connecting in BKK to PNH. The connection was to PG. Initially 85 minutes, on two tickets, I didn't sweat it.

Push back delayed 30 min due to late arriving a/c and then some flight path change over the gulf. We're now pushing our luck.

The crew, who didn't let my glass go dry, water or champagne, said they'd telex ahead since we now had a very tight connection.

As we pull into an apron position I begin to think all is lost... but nope, there's a TG van waiting downstairs for the two of us and one other guy from C. We get to the international bus gate entrance and run to the escalator, head upstairs and continue on the the travelators. We need to get to the transfer desk because even though our bags were tagged through we don't have our BPs.

At the tail end of the first travelator I hear a golf cart slowing down coming from behind. The guy said, 'I waited for you but you ran away.' So on we got and delivered to the base of the escalator up to transit security where we blew by the monitor and ran up the stairs.

I had a laugh at this because he was like the guard in Monty Python The Holy Grail who just pointed, as Sir Lancelot (John Cleese) runs by, and says, 'heyyyyyy'.

We get through security after the two people in front of us ceded the right of way and arrived at the transfer desk at T-35 (departure) for a bus gate. Our BPs were printed and they didn't want to see the checked bag tags (I asked them) because TG had alerted them to everything.

That was great service because we were not getting home otherwise and my wife was late to work on Monday without all of that. This isn't the first time it's happened but it's the tightest connection they've made work.

Epilogue: We arrive in PNH without bags. The typically useless PNH staff can't give us any info on the bags other than whenever they show up they will call. I called TG, because PG offices close at 8:30 (thanks Skype subscription) and they confirm that the bags never made the connection and they'll be sent on the 8AM flight. Sure enough they were and then delivered to our apt. I believe the bags should have been PG's responsibility but TG took care of everything. ^
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
[QUOTE=aislealways;19780706So there. A curate's egg and a game of two halves. But I fly for service, warmth and proactivity. And I get it on Thai, mostly..[/QUOTE]

For myself, big doesn't work, neither does gold and black but they do a good job in that region, but like so many who negotiate the hub of Bangkok, TG is always proactive, to the point of embarassment. Most complaints are from passengers who do not fly Thai. It is difficult to fault their business class attention, they look after you perfectly. Love fabrics, you would adore to wander through Kahramanmaris.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BKKROP
For myself, big doesn't work, neither does gold and black but they do a good job in that region, but like so many who negotiate the hub of Bangkok, TG is always proactive, to the point of embarassment. Most complaints are from passengers who do not fly Thai. It is difficult to fault their business class attention, they look after you perfectly. Love fabrics, you would adore to wander through Kahramanmaris.
BKK ROP - I always fly via BKK instead of direct out of SIN as I like the service. So it's odd reading so many little 'bad experiences' people have on an airline that I broadly am extremely happy. But we all have difference experiences.

Exhibit B: My mother just flew First to see me from London. The crew ex-bkk were so disappointed in her vegetarian meal they gifted her a bottle of DOM - which made her life. And made me happy too.

What we lose on the swings we make up for on the roundabouts I guess.

When I say fabrics, I mean an unhealthy addiction to table linens and large squares of fabric I have picked up in places as diverse as Turkey and Zanzibar (and a fair few lie-flat seats in the air). I have stopped now as I'm informed it's v bad karma.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most complaints are from passengers who do not fly Thai.
Do you ever get tired of being laughably ridiculous?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Do you ever get tired of being laughably ridiculous?
I don't know - I think there's some truth in that. Over in other airline forums, if you're a fan of the Asian airlines (excluding TG) it's as if they all walk on water.

TG seems to have a perception, to me, that's far worse than the reality. And it takes a long time to shake that off.

So, I might be over compensating, but I do feel there's some truth in this.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:51 am

My best description of it is that TG seems to lack the finesse of for example, SQ, but more than makes up for it through effort and charm. And their BKK facilities are world class. ^
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:21 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Wow - yet another positive thread on this forum Few more threads like this and we will be another BA forum, where BA apologist FT members 'kill' any negative threads/discussions...

BTW... I like TG - apart from 2 occurrences of below average service, all my flights were fine...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
My best description of it is that TG seems to lack the finesse of for example, SQ, but more than makes up for it through effort and charm. And their BKK facilities are world class. ^
Couldn't have said it better. My impression after four LH F flights on TG was that while cabin crew tried incredibly hard, they didn't really know what they were doing and spent far too much time looking in the manual for what to do next, or what to do in xxx situation. Training problem, not attitude.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aislealways

TG seems to have a perception, to me, that's far worse than the reality. And it takes a long time to shake that off.
I agree with this to some extent but let's a look again at the quote I commented on:

Most complaints are from passengers who do not fly Thai.
This is patently absurd as 1) there are complaints in this forum that come from pax who's profiles state ROP Plat 2) how do you complain about an airline you don't use?

Per second point it defies logic.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Couldn't have said it better. My impression after four LH F flights on TG was that while cabin crew tried incredibly hard, they didn't really know what they were doing and spent far too much time looking in the manual for what to do next, or what to do in xxx situation. Training problem, not attitude.
Wow really, crew reading the manual in front of passengers. That's a life first for me and sounds like a significant safety issue. They should be shut down immediately .

I agree they lack the uniform consistency and style of SQ, I don't believe that implies they are untrained.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Boy I think it's really hard to say. I've had some really good service and some pretty mediocre service on all of the Asian airlines. If I were to generalize, the only thing I think I could say is that NH is the most consistent. Generally very good.. never incredible...never mediocre.

I think it's more a function of culture than of airline management.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
I flew one airline because I wanted to have a shower at 30000, but I am sure eponymous or eightblack wouldn't refer to me as a flyer and when reading my post regarding their 4th Tier would roll their eyes as would Mo if i commented on the BMW transfer, which I used once to see if Etihad would send a car all the way to country to pick me up. They did.

The Bangkok Thai lounge is where you see the flyers, they leave every Monday morning, they fly TG by preference and their week's work starts in one of the pulsating cores of enterprise that are only a hour or two away from Thailand. They don't fly Airasia or Bangkok Airways then fly Thai once in a blue moon or when some non earning V/W special is advertised in the Post

If they don't understand something they don't say Give me a photo or that's wrong, they seek out the answer to make their flying lives more comfortable. Once I used to be in their place, it was I who was envying the likes of a flying New Zealander and others, so what goes around comes around.

It is common knowledge the "hate" campaign for Thai Airways was started some years ago by a web group from Thai's rival airline and the remnants are still around. TG never hid the fact their planes were old and so were the crews, Most early FFP members flew TG because they couldn't afford the volume of flying on any other carrier and like me are proud when posters call them a Thailand Important Person.

I fly to Siem Reap on Bangkok Airways, I know where their Bangkok lounges are and I know a little about the airline but I don't refer to myself as one of their flyers
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
I flew one airline because I wanted to have a shower at 30000, but I am sure eponymous or eightblack wouldn't refer to me as a flyer and when reading my post regarding their 4th Tier would roll their eyes as would Mo if i commented on the BMW transfer, which I used once to see if Etihad would send a car all the way to country to pick me up. They did.

The Bangkok Thai lounge is where you see the flyers, they leave every Monday morning, they fly TG by preference and their week's work starts in one of the pulsating cores of enterprise that are only a hour or two away from Thailand. They don't fly Airasia or Bangkok Airways then fly Thai once in a blue moon or when some non earning V/W special is advertised in the Post

If they don't understand something they don't say Give me a photo or that's wrong, they seek out the answer to make their flying lives more comfortable. Once I used to be in their place, it was I who was envying the likes of a flying New Zealander and others, so what goes around comes around.

It is common knowledge the "hate" campaign for Thai Airways was started some years ago by a web group from Thai's rival airline and the remnants are still around. TG never hid the fact their planes were old and so were the crews, Most early FFP members flew TG because they couldn't afford the volume of flying on any other carrier and like me are proud when posters call them a Thailand Important Person.

I fly to Siem Reap on Bangkok Airways, I know where their Bangkok lounges are and I know a little about the airline but I don't refer to myself as one of their flyers
Oh you are a TIP now? it all makes sense.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dazz81
Oh you are a TIP now? it all makes sense.

I'm not Thai but most times I'm on TG I feel pretty special. Does that make me a NTIP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.