Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay to correct Staff naming error?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Not sure where I stand on this one so just wanted to ask for your advice/experience.

I normally book tickets online however on this occasion I was booking for 2 children who were flying with me in one direction and someone else in the other direction, and the THAI website (probably most/all airline websites) doesn't have the flexibility to make this kind of booking online.

So I made a specific trip to the Vibhavdi Rd booking office here in Bangkok, and wrote down all the booking references, names, flights, frequent flier numbers etc. The staff member made the booking, I paid and left.

Now the next day I realise that 1 character in 1 middle name is incorrect, an "M" which should be an "N". I wrote the name very clearly so can only assume it was a typo on the agents part as the M is located right next to the N on keyboards. So I ring Thai and they want me to pay 1000baht to change the name, and I explain I don't really want to change it, just correct the error from the staff member, but ultimately I have no luck and they suggest me to go back in to the office to try and get them to change the name. However with all the time/travel involved in going back to the office I know it would be cheaper just to pay the 1000baht.

I know I should have thoroughly checked all details while I was there but I was booking 5 tickets in total so just skimmed it and didn't pick up the 1 missing character, and all the names were written clearly by me. If I made the mistake myself, inputted it incorrectly online or chose the wrong date or something then I'd accept it as my fault. But if an agent inputs the name wrong, am I still responsible?

Should I pay the 1000baht or hassle them again? If I do nothing, does it really matter if 1 character in a middle name is incorrect?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:33 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this Thread in the Thai Airlines Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:46 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Yes incorrectly spelt names do matter and it is advisable to correct the mistake as soon as possible.

Going back to the original booking location and explaining that the names on the ticket are incorrect should result in the agent changing the name on the ticket without charge. Should be not problem. You can try arguing via telephone again but I suspect this will yield the same response.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
It's unlikely that 1 letter in 1 middle name will even be spotted unless you're flying into LAX. That said paying the 1000THB will give you peace of mind.

What should be taken away from this is don't include middle names in any booking. It's just one more thing that can possibly go wrong.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass

depending on route, it most probably doesn't matter.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:40 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
I recall reading here mention of the IATA rule which allows up to, and including, two letters to be incorrect in a name and still being able to fly.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
I recall reading here mention of the IATA rule which allows up to, and including, two letters to be incorrect in a name and still being able to fly.
I would imagine that that rule is either outdated or revised since the adoption of U.S. Homeland Security regulations which require computer matching all pax manifests for pax traveling to the U.S. went into effect.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
IATA is a private organization. All it can do is contractually bind air carriers. But, laws in each country vary and they, of course apply. In addition, air carriers are responsible for checking documents for conformance to arrival country requirements (they get fined and have to return the pax to origin if the docs. are wrong).

While the risk is very small and, in most cases miniscule, we have changed our internal booking system such that the ticketed name is populated by the passport name and can only be changed with a specific override. In this way, it's impossible to book non-matching tickets.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:02 pm

I highly doubt it will matter.

OP, what is your route?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Flight is BKK-AKL. I've decided to pay the 1000b as I don't want any delays/hassles checking in, especially with there being 5 of us.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
There is no reason to add a middle name in the passenger booking ever. It simply adds more confusion to a simple situation.

With regards to USA bookings, you can provide the middle name after booking in the Secureflight/APIS information section.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Don't be daft. No one really cares so long as the name is close enough.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Don't be daft. No one really cares so long as the name is close enough.
True but on the other hand, does one want to risk it for about EUR25?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: Air France, Thai Airways
I recently flew KTM-BKK-CDG in J. When I booked the ticket via the TG website I managed to put my surname in the christian name box and vice versa. Queried TG by phone about it, the response was "doesn't matter".
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by ngooden
I recently flew KTM-BKK-CDG in J. When I booked the ticket via the TG website I managed to put my surname in the christian name box and vice versa. Queried TG by phone about it, the response was "doesn't matter".
What on earth is that? Do you mean your given name?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.