Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

BKK Airport Link: is irregular operations the norm?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E75

The last 3 occasions I used the airport link, it was not operating according to the regular schedule. Well, on 2 instances, it was announced: instead of an express from Phyathai every 30 minutes, it was every 40. When you arrive at 8:45 to get de 9:00 one and have to wait until 9:20, it is not too pleasant.

On the other instance, the express left the airport at 16:28, just as we were arriving at the platform to take the 16:30 one!

I would be curious to know if others have experienced such irregular operation. In my case, 3 times out of 3!

Last edited by ulyparis; Mar 14, 2012 at 9:36 am
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
I've taken the express train several times and never had it run on an irregular schedule. I have though had it leave a minute or two early and miss it, as you experienced. All my experience is between BKK and Makkasan, not to Phaya Thai.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
I like it, it is better than Singapore and Brisbane, more interesting than KUL, quicker than Hong Kong, cleaner than SYD, similarities to Tokyo and it is so far ahead of places like Denpasar, Melbourne, and Hanoi
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold
And cheaper than London.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by BKKROP
I like it, it is better than Singapore and Brisbane, more interesting than KUL, quicker than Hong Kong, cleaner than SYD, similarities to Tokyo and it is so far ahead of places like Denpasar, Melbourne, and Hanoi
Yes and certainly cheaper than Tokyo! And ahead of Montreal and Toronto!

I am always prone to encourage public transportation and I am glad to see I was just probably unlucky.

I will note though that it is note uncommon it leaves ahead of schedule.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
I too prefer it over rail links at many other airports, for cleanliness, cost, convenience, etc. I've tried the airport bus once, and it was horrible. If traveling with two or more people, the rail link certainly isn't going to save you much money over a taxi, and could possibly even cost more. Still though I'll take the rail link over a taxi, provided it's in operation when I need it. Unfortunately, no trips to BKK planned for now. Next step, build a rail link at HKT so we can bypass the transportation mafia there.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by BKKROP
All true, I'm sure, but most trains are near empty, and no doubt the service runs at a heavy loss.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by railways
All true, I'm sure, but most trains are near empty, and no doubt the service runs at a heavy loss.
In regards the Express you're likely correct. The city line on the other hand....
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
unfortunately, it will NEVER happen...............

Originally Posted by A_Lee
........ build a rail link at HKT so we can bypass the transportation mafia there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.