Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai dropping Premium Economy LAX-BKK?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TG Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
With the new schedule, it's practically impossible to connect from anywhere else in TG regional network, either inbound or outbound - may be except for India and Sri Lanka. For me personally, I think i am very less likely to get on this flight now. was looking forward to a trip in Sept, now probably will be going SQ.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:50 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
The change on LAX route happens at the same time as the rumored news that TG plan to pull 77W out of CDG route. Could those 77W be deployed for the 1 stop LAX route instead?

I would be extremely happy if that happens.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
No, it's already announced to be using the 777-200ER. and seeing how they are only going with 4x weekly service, they have a lot of room to ramp that service up to daily (for getting capacity up) before they even need to start thinking about using bigger aircraft.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
No, it's already announced to be using the 777-200ER. and seeing how they are only going with 4x weekly service, they have a lot of room to ramp that service up to daily (for getting capacity up) before they even need to start thinking about using bigger aircraft.
The thing is...this service will not ramp up ever...arrival time in BKK is horrific, onward connections impossible, and you are flying an extra stop.

In the meantime, TG will lose tons of traffic to SQ. SQ has better options on arrival timing. At least you have a choice whether you want to make an overnight in BKK or not. You can also fly the A388 from LAX, and you can choose between SFO and LAX (if LAX is not your originating airport). And of course, SQ flies daily from both SFO and LAX.

As TG will lose traffic to SQ, I predict the route will go from 4x to being cancelled.

I had just booked TG795 late last week when the schedule change took effect. I immediately cancelled and rebooked on SQ. Virtually anybody with some experience flying to Asia will do the same.

The reality is that SQ hard and soft product is better in all travel classes. Losing the schedule and trip time advantage will kill TG on this route.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
We flew the SQ option last year and I specifically booked on Thai this time round because of the non-stop option and the increased legroom. The flight times do not work at all for us and we will be rebooking with SQ. A real shame
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: SQ *gold / Starwood
Does anyone know how much longer it will take before EVA becomes a Star Alliance member?

They're the only real alternative for me - Elite Class seats and a convenient schedule LAX-TPE-BKK.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC, BR, CX, TK, UA
EVA, Cathay and China Airlines have (TG had) the best flight times to Asia IHMO. Late PM/Early AM departures with an early AM arrival in Asia. I was always able to get a few hours sleep and have the whole day ahead of me when I arrived.

All the other *A carriers (Air Canada, Air China ,ANA, Asiana, Singapore and United) depart daytime to Asia, Thai was the only one to provide overnight service, and as mentioned, daytime connections out of Bangkok were possible. SQ has a 21:00 dep from LAX, arriving into SIN at 06:00, with a stop in ICN.

There must be some ฿฿฿ to be made for them to add a stop in Incheon.

TG

Last edited by meinhell; Jan 30, 2012 at 4:37 pm
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Starwood, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hilton Honors, AAdvantage
As of today, the website shows new schedule and metal...but is also selling PE seats. Is it possible they will reconfigure the 777 aircraft before putting in service for the new schedule?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: Royal Orchid Plus
From Thai Air's website:

NEW SCHEDULE - Effective May 1, 2012

4 days a week - Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday

One Stop service to Bangkok via Seoul-Incheon (ICN), Korea

Flight Number TG795

Aircraft Boeing 777-200ER

Frequency Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun

Departure Time LAX 1310 Arrival Time ICN 1750 + 1 day

Departure Time ICN 1900 Arrival Time BKK 2250

Flight Number TG 794

Aircraft Boeing 777-200ER

Frequency Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun

Departure Time BKK 0735 Arrival Time ICN 1500

Departure Time ICN 1610 Arrival Time LAX 1110 (same day)
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Starwood, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hilton Honors, AAdvantage
Sorry. Post removed.

Last edited by jimmieg; Jan 30, 2012 at 10:35 pm Reason: double posted
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:35 am

i have been royally shafted by this change. I had saved my GUP for this route.

Based in Singapore so now I have to overnight on the way there and on the way back. In addition, I need to overnight in LAX on the way back from JFK as well. All of my US domestic flights have been thrown into disarray and I need to go back to the drawing board.

Anyone know if this schedule is going to be solid for travels in May? I need to book all my tickets now and can't afford for TG to change the flights on me due to my domestic connections in the USA.

looks like the first and last year of ROP Gold for me. Perhaps a move to ANA or back to SQ after this. ANA sounds more attractive due to the Upgrade Points and 200% mileage accrual for Platinum but not so good as most Y tix only accrue 70% so would effectively need to do 70k butt in Y seat miles to get Platinum. Oh the trials of flying frequently...but not quite frequently enough!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: Royal Orchid Plus
I have to agree with a few other comments here. The stop at ICN is not that big of a deal to me, but losing PE is. Even if they retro-fit the 777's with PE, the new departure and arrival times are horrible. Arriving at BKK late at night means no quick connecting regional flights and departing BKK at 7:30am means waking up that day at 3:00am in able to get to the airport and through all the lines in time! Looks like it'll be EVA for me in the future.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:41 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by meinhell
All the other *A carriers (Air Canada, Air China ,ANA, Asiana, Singapore and United) depart daytime to Asia, Thai was the only one to provide overnight service, and as mentioned, daytime connections out of Bangkok were possible. SQ has a 21:00 dep from LAX, arriving into SIN at 06:00, with a stop in ICN.
NH has a midnight departure from LAX to HND, arriving at 5:15 AM, with a connection from NRT allowing you to arrive in BKK the same day. DL also has a similar flight but with a later connection.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: Thai
Well, I used to fly EVA from LAX to BKK before Thai started the Non-stop service with PM. Now I guess I will be going back to EVA. PM seating and Evening departure times.
Thai is really shooting themselves in the foot with this move.
I wonder what they will do with the A345's?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Cameron38
I wonder what they will do with the A345's?
Replace some of the old A300s?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.