Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

HKT domestic arrival and international departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold

Hi,

We will be flying into HKT with our 6 month old daughter in June with TG from FUK via BKK in C. Am I right in thinking immigration and customs formalities will be done in HKT. If so would it be worth booking a meet and greet service like www.coralphuket.com or do C passengers have fast track facilities ? On our return we will be flying again in C from HKT to ICN. Is it worth booking the VIP departure service for this?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: TG Plat
Assuming it is the same as when I fly LHR-BKK-HKT immigration is in BKK just after the Thai Air transfer desk. Customs is HKT.

On return immigration is HKT

I have not had to queue more than 5 minutes for more than 2 years so I would not pay any extra.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by waribai
Hi,

We will be flying into HKT with our 6 month old daughter in June with TG from FUK via BKK in C. Am I right in thinking immigration and customs formalities will be done in HKT. If so would it be worth booking a meet and greet service like www.coralphuket.com or do C passengers have fast track facilities ? On our return we will be flying again in C from HKT to ICN. Is it worth booking the VIP departure service for this?
As mentioned you will go through immigration in BKK and customs upon getting your bags in HKT. On the return you'll go through immigration in HKT.

Immigration at airports that aren't BKK could not be easier. Don't waste your money on a service.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: various
Yes, and at BKK you need to follow the signs for the transit immigration to domestic flights, don't go to the regular immigration queues for people heading into Bangkok. No need for fast-tracking doing it this way. Normally TG international incoming flights show the arrival procedures on the cabin screens as you approach BKK, so pay attention. Once in the terminal, things are well-signed. Assuming bags are tagged at FUK all the way through to HKT, bags will be auto-transferred so you don't deal with them and Customs until HKT.

Reverse is even easier if just connecting in BKK to intl. Immigration and Customs dealt with at HKT, as should boarding passes. Then nothing more to do once you get to BKK except enjoy airside (and the TG lounges if on intl outbound).

No need for a third-party service at either BKK or HKT.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:19 pm

Visa on arrival when transferring at BKK

Just want to clarify - the immigration "counters" for transferring to domestic flights at BKK - are they just a pure passport check or actual passport control ? If passport control, for those who require visas on arrival, where would you get them before passing through this passport control ?

Last edited by zhaobao; Jan 11, 2012 at 11:41 pm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zhaobao
Previously, if you are flying from xxx-BKK-domestic destination in Thailand, I think you clear immigration at the domestic destination. Was connecting to an international flight at BKK on Jan 1 and noticed that the signs for connection to domestic destinations point to a separate immigration counter where there is absolutely no line unlike the BKK main queue.

The question I have is this - if you were planning to get visa on arrival and you are connecting to a domestic destination, can you do that at the transfer immigration counters ? Or must you go to the visa on arrival counters at main immigration and then turn back ?
For as long as I'm aware you need to clear immigration at BKK for int-dom connections. Bags can be claimed at a certain domestic airports, but immigration is in BKK.

I've seen the int-dom immigration queue backed up occasionally, but you're much more likely to get have a hassle at the main immigration counters.

Visa on arrival is a very specific thing which can be accomplished near gate D4 on level 2. Are you referring to a 'visa exemption stamp' which many nationalities are given gratis at immigration?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks for all the advice. My main reason for considering the help was just peace of mind really. Had heard Phuket airport could be a bit stressful with long queues for taxis and the usual touts. Thought that if we had the meet and greet we could bypass all of that!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: StarAlliance (Aeroplan)
Originally Posted by waribai
Thanks for all the advice. My main reason for considering the help was just peace of mind really. Had heard Phuket airport could be a bit stressful with long queues for taxis and the usual touts. Thought that if we had the meet and greet we could bypass all of that!

Just flew to HKT via BKK in Nov 2011 and we didn't wait for 1 minute. We did pass in front of a bunch of Custom's agent with our bags but it was not a "Formal" kiosk and there was no lineup. They didn't even say a word, we just walked by.

I wouldn't use a service like the one you mentioned but I would suggest you pre-book a car with the Hotel as the airport can be a bit busy and confusing.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: SPG P
Is there a fast track lane for Intl-Domestic transfer passengers at immigration, like the lane for incoming first and biz class travellers heading to BKK?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glown
Is there a fast track lane for Intl-Domestic transfer passengers at immigration, like the lane for incoming first and biz class travellers heading to BKK?
No, and you likely won't need it.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: various
Just want to clarify - the immigration "counters" for transferring to domestic flights at BKK - are they just a pure passport check or actual passport control ? If passport control, for those who require visas on arrival, where would you get them before passing through this passport control ?
It's actual passport control and immigration Entry to Thailand. What is your passport country? If you aren't eligible for the gratis entry stamp and really need visa on arrival, as I recall there is an area you do that and get squared away, before you proceed to either the regular immigration or the international-to-domestic transfer immigration.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
It's actual passport control and immigration Entry to Thailand. What is your passport country? If you aren't eligible for the gratis entry stamp and really need visa on arrival, as I recall there is an area you do that and get squared away, before you proceed to either the regular immigration or the international-to-domestic transfer immigration.
For example, Chinese and Indian citizens are not visa free, but are eligible for visa on arrival (rather than applying for visa BEFORE you get on plane). Last time I entered BKK proper (Dec 2010) visa on arrival was right before regular immigration. The area that gets squared off I guess near Gate D4 on Level 2 was no longer available (even though I have seen this counter before on previous occasions). At this visa on application counter, you would connect right into regular immigration counters (only for visa on arrival people - think of the setup at Bali airport - exactly the same) and you could not turn back. Unless the visa on application counter at Gate D4 is still around, I am just not sure how you can get visa on arrival, go into transit immigration at BKK, and connect onto domestic flights. Anyone ?

Last edited by zhaobao; Jan 15, 2012 at 10:56 pm
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For example, Chinese and Indian citizens are not visa free, but are eligible for visa on arrival (rather than applying for visa BEFORE you get on plane). Last time I entered BKK proper (Dec 2010) visa on arrival was right before regular immigration. The area that gets squared off I guess near Gate D4 on Level 2 was no longer available (even though I have seen this counter before on previous occasions). At this visa on application counter, you would connect right into regular immigration counters (only for visa on arrival people - think of the setup at Bali airport - exactly the same) and you could not turn back. Unless the visa on application counter at Gate D4 is still around, I am just not sure how you can get visa on arrival, go into transit immigration at BKK, and connect onto domestic flights. Anyone ?
I remember seeing the VOA area near D4 in the past, but if you say it's no longer there then I'll defer to you.

There's really no difference in going through the regular immigration lines and then going upstairs to Floor 4 and heading back through security. You'll wind up in the same place though it might add a few more minutes.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I remember seeing the VOA area near D4 in the past, but if you say it's no longer there then I'll defer to you.

There's really no difference in going through the regular immigration lines and then going upstairs to Floor 4 and heading back through security. You'll wind up in the same place though it might add a few more minutes.
A few more minutes ? Definitely not... A few more hours maybe... ha ha ha
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few more minutes ? Definitely not... A few more hours maybe... ha ha ha
Ha ha ha? Do you have much experience at BKK immigration? There are times when it's a long wait and times when you sail through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.