Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading an ugly W class on Thai

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HON**
Upgrading an ugly W class on Thai

I am flying to BKK from FRA and have cheap and nasty Econ W class ticket. I am trying to find a way to upgrade this for the least cash.

The options that I see are:

1: Hope that the flight is full and I get an upgrade ( I am LH HON, so Star Alliance Gold)
2: Pay to change the ticket to an upgradable class and then use my e-vouchers (is this possible?)
3. See what the gate upgrade costs
4. hmmmm........ help!

Any suggestions, this is a saturday flight, seems quite full by the seat map
Old May 6, 2011, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Its USD$925 to ug from Y to C class at checkin, not sure if it is really worth it for you to upsell from W to a higer class in Y. The TG experts may have better insight. I have done that route in Y and it was bearable but if you have the money pay the UG fee and do it at check in and keep an eye on flight load in Y for a possible UG.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:12 pm

OP is HON with LH, which is probably the best elite status all around! I wonder how he/she ended up flying on the cheapie W fare with TG... when he/she can fly with LH on this route.

Nonetheless, if you can dish out the cash for upgrade at departure, I think you may end up earning business class EQM and RDM as long as the agent books you into revenue business class code and not in award business (I).
Old May 6, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by biffothebear
I am flying to BKK from FRA and have cheap and nasty Econ W class ticket. I am trying to find a way to upgrade this for the least cash.

The options that I see are:

1: Hope that the flight is full and I get an upgrade ( I am LH HON, so Star Alliance Gold)
2: Pay to change the ticket to an upgradable class and then use my e-vouchers (is this possible?)
3. See what the gate upgrade costs
4. hmmmm........ help!

Any suggestions, this is a saturday flight, seems quite full by the seat map
Don't bet on #1, even Thai's own ROP Golds rarely get OP ups. And they'd certainly be accommodated before another FFP's status flyers. (Actually, any Thai VIP's or Friends of Staff onboard will get moved up before anybody.)
Old May 7, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: AMEXROP, TG Gold, BAEC Gold, BD gold
Originally Posted by jiejie
Don't bet on #1, even Thai's own ROP Golds rarely get OP ups. And they'd certainly be accommodated before another FFP's status flyers. (Actually, any Thai VIP's or Friends of Staff onboard will get moved up before anybody.)
So true.

TIPs dont need Gold or the new proposed Platinum cards as they hold the best card ever, its called a big stick of self importance or a magic wand of generous clout or upgrades depending on if either staff member or big wig.

Horrible big wigs usually wear an identifying menacing face and a dress sense of military school than university education.

Look for the ones without any dress sense in BIZ or F class cabin !

Finally remember................ As the door closed a number of TIPs came from the economy cabin.

Yes it still happens, maybe they should issue a khaki card to trump all others
Old May 7, 2011, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had to talk about our experience on a TG flight from BKK to NRT. Upon check in I asked about the flight being overbooked and we were told that its not. So here we are seated in the bulkhead seats both of us being Star Gold, and 2 non status pax walk into the plane and approached us that we had their seats. Voila, I call over the FA and showed her our boarding passes and immediately they shoved us into the J cabin. So you see, they are not as proactive as hey should be, knowing that it is -2 in Y and that we should UG any status pax so as to avoind any issues in the cabin or even delay the flight.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, yes I am LH HON but this was a vacation booking that I couldn't find out the Econ Class beforehand.
Lets see where it all ends up

Cheers.....
Old May 7, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Welcome to FT, biffothebear!
Old May 7, 2011, 11:38 am
Original Poster

At 300 segments a year anything that doesn't crash is a good flight :-)
Old May 7, 2011, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At 300 segments a year anything that doesn't crash is a good flight :-)
Bear please report back about the outcome. Have a good flight.^
Old May 18, 2011, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Well, much as expected. Checkin at the SA Gold desk, attempted to request an emergency exit seat "there are only lonely seats available" suggesting that my partner (LH Gold) would be separated. Offered an upgrade at EUR 640/pp to business! Onto the flight with a really full seatmap, but the flight was empty. Ended up with two 3 seat rows to ourselves! Although other parts of Econ were really full. My LH Gold partner was greeted as SA Gold but as a LH Hon I was ignored :-) Lets see how the return is!
Old May 18, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Well, much as expected. Checkin at the SA Gold desk, attempted to request an emergency exit seat "there are only lonely seats available" suggesting that my partner (LH Gold) would be separated. Offered an upgrade at EUR 640/pp to business! Onto the flight with a really full seatmap, but the flight was empty. Ended up with two 3 seat rows to ourselves! Although other parts of Econ were really full. My LH Gold partner was greeted as SA Gold but as a LH Hon I was ignored :-) Lets see how the return is!
Thanks for updating.
Congrats on the "Lie-flat-economy seating"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.