Wiki Posts
Search

F award seats released close in?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
F award seats released close in?

Just wondering, does TG release additional F award seats closer in to departure date?

If so, if anyone could share some recent experiences in this...it would be definitely be appreciated!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DaveTO
Just wondering, does TG release additional F award seats closer in to departure date?

If so, if anyone could share some recent experiences in this...it would be definitely be appreciated!
What route are you wanting?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
CDG-BKK
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveTO
CDG-BKK
Difficult. In my experience they don't release seats, especially on the 77W
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
BKK-PEK

Same question, different route. I already have two F seats on BKK-PEK and 2 in J. Any chance of them releasing a further 2 F seats to upgrade the J's ?

Last edited by JeffBHD; Feb 15, 2011 at 4:22 am
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:04 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by lallyr
Difficult. In my experience they don't release seats, especially on the 77W

I got seats both ways recently. No awards left when I booked the Biz Class. Was put on priority waitlist for GUP by Singapore office. My company was paying Biz class and I told them I would just use SQ biz if the award did not come through.

Got the return approved after about two days and the outbound BKK-CDG a day or so later.

F class completely full outbound on Monday (12:05) and 2 spare seats on the Sat lunchtime back.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peelorn
I got seats both ways recently. No awards left when I booked the Biz Class. Was put on priority waitlist for GUP by Singapore office. My company was paying Biz class and I told them I would just use SQ biz if the award did not come through.

Got the return approved after about two days and the outbound BKK-CDG a day or so later.

F class completely full outbound on Monday (12:05) and 2 spare seats on the Sat lunchtime back.
A GUP works completely differently to a normal upgrade. GUP nearly always clears, I have had them clear on flights which were zeroed out in all classes within days.

A normal upgrade award is in a different bucket.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I am taking NRT-BKK in C class on B747 with a friend in early May 2011 and have some miles expiring soon. Was thinking of using it for upgrade to F class, but currently there is only one award seat available. Any chance of another F class award seat opening up? Also, should we just grab the current F class seat that is available and pray that another will open up later? We prefer to travel together either in C or F class and not one in either class. Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by JeffBHD
Same question, different route. I already have two F seats on BKK-PEK and 2 in J. Any chance of them releasing a further 2 F seats to upgrade the J's ?
To answer my own question, 2xF seats have opened up this morning. Change successfully made and new seat selection made !
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:23 am

To answer my own question, 2xF seats have opened up this morning. Change successfully made and new seat selection made !
Just curious (waiting on one more F seat to open up for an upcoming trip with my wife): how many days ahead of the flight did the seats open up?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newaroundhere
Just curious (waiting on one more F seat to open up for an upcoming trip with my wife): how many days ahead of the flight did the seats open up?
Mine opened up 30 days before.

Only 2 opened up and after I took them another 2 were released.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by newaroundhere
6 months minus one day. And there are still another 2 up for grabs.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
My guess is that most TG F pax are awards. of course, there are also a few TVIP (but seem less apparent recently), leisure pax and usinessmen. But the bulk is award pax. The good news is that TG opens numerous F seats for awards. The bad news is that those pax tend not to change their travel dates and keep their seats once obtained. But few airlines would open so many F seats and TG does it periodically. As pointed in other threads, they do not use their revenue management IT system but tend to prefer manual override, so it is quite unpredictable.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: Thai
I have found Thai to be quite stingy with normal mileage upgrades. I just now booked my December trip to ensure an upgrade to Business from LA to Bangkok. If I wait until mid year.. no dice!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cameron38
I have found Thai to be quite stingy with normal mileage upgrades. I just now booked my December trip to ensure an upgrade to Business from LA to Bangkok. If I wait until mid year.. no dice!
I am not sure that it is TG being "stingy". IMO it is more about pax grabing the award seats quickly. Also, all airlines release F seats when they have a more informed view of the rev load. My experience is that TG will periodically release seats as you get closer to the flight date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.