Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Are any Star Alliance FFPs more generous with Thai discounted flights than Thai is?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are any Star Alliance FFPs more generous with Thai discounted flights than Thai is?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver

We all see the international "Super Deals" on the Thai homepage, and we all know that Thai doesn't give any miles for them unless they are in business class. The booking class is YOWTG. The question is does any other Star Alliance member give some miles for this (maybe seeing it as Y class). I know this sounds crazy, but crazier things have happened, and we all love loopholes. If you have any experience about this, please write. It can benefit a lot of us.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
If it credits as a G (seen at the end) UA will give 100% RDM/EQM credit if it is a domestic flight. CO won't give credit for it.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
seems this is booked as V
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
They actually normally book into W. The first letter of the fare basis in this instance is NOT the same as the booking class. I don't believe you will receive miles for international W class with TG on any *A program.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by dazz81
They actually normally book into W. The first letter of the fare basis in this instance is NOT the same as the booking class. I don't believe you will receive miles for international W class with TG on any *A program.
The handful of *A carriers I've looked at do not give credit for V,W and some don't give for G as well. But that is only for international flights.

Domestic fares in V,W do grant miles/segments.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:25 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Etihad Gold Elite, FB Platinum, CX Marco Polo Gold, Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold
Thai Airways ticket price that granted miles is almost the same as Air France Premier Voyager class.... you get 125% in Flying Blue a better seat and service then TG.....

This is the reason I dont fly Thai longer, coz mostly the ticket are in V or W class .

And it seems TG dont care about this coz they r only looking for J and P pax.
While Y pax is just chipping on the Fuel for the plane.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackylek
Thai Airways ticket price that granted miles is almost the same as Air France Premier Voyager class.... you get 125% in Flying Blue a better seat and service then TG.....

This is the reason I dont fly Thai longer, coz mostly the ticket are in V or W class .

And it seems TG dont care about this coz they r only looking for J and P pax.
While Y pax is just chipping on the Fuel for the plane.
TGs website is usually incapable of pricing out anything other than lowest econ (V,W) or highest (Y,B).

I'm glad you're flying AF all over SE Asia, I hear their service in this region is second to none.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 3:09 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Smile

Originally Posted by dsquared37
TGs website is usually incapable of pricing out anything other than lowest econ (V,W) or highest (Y,B).

I'm glad you're flying AF all over SE Asia, I hear their service in this region is second to none.
AF better sevice than TG !!!
Whatever it is you're smoking , keep some for me, cause it's obviously good stuff
Old Feb 6, 2011, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I have directed my share of criticism to TG. But stating that AF had better service then TG must a joke!
Flying Blue is also very poor for discounted fares. You only get 25%, and sometimes 0%. Comparing miles that you get in Premium Economy on AF and in discounted economy on TG is unfair. PE on AF is expensive and seats are lousy. ROP is a mediocre *A program in terms of earning/spending but AF Flying Blue is not better.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pansted00
AF better sevice than TG !!!
Whatever it is you're smoking , keep some for me, cause it's obviously good stuff
You don't deserve it. I love those AF flights between BKK and HKG, SIN, ICN....

We're well aware your distaste for TG. Stick with AF and enjoy yourself.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You don't deserve it. I love those AF flights between BKK and HKG, SIN, ICN....

Great potent stuff obviously, as it makes you hallucinate about flights that never existed ...
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pansted00
Great potent stuff obviously, as it makes you hallucinate about flights that never existed ...

Exactly, they don't exist. Such cogent responses today. Color me impressed.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Etihad Gold Elite, FB Platinum, CX Marco Polo Gold, Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold
Have any your guys flown the new Premium Economy with AF ?

Is the fare and totaly package Im compare with. Not ECONOMY vs ECONOMY or Business vs Business .... THAI miles economy ticket is nearly the same as AF Premium class ticket.

And yes Flying Blue Program sucks with the lowest economy ticket, but at least u get some miles compare with Royal Orchids.

But hey if your guys prefer fly Thai Economy rather then AF Premium Economy when the fare is almost the same ... is fine by me ...
Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by jackylek
Have any your guys flown the new Premium Economy with AF ?

Is the fare and totaly package Im compare with. Not ECONOMY vs ECONOMY or Business vs Business .... THAI miles economy ticket is nearly the same as AF Premium class ticket.

And yes Flying Blue Program sucks with the lowest economy ticket, but at least u get some miles compare with Royal Orchids.

But hey if your guys prefer fly Thai Economy rather then AF Premium Economy when the fare is almost the same ... is fine by me ...
Being a FB Plat and AF frequent flyer, I can voice my "experienced" opinion. As far as premium economy goes, AF product is poor, very inferior to PE offered by other airlines including TG (just read the FA forum). Seat does not recline at all in the fixed shell. Premium Voyager (PE) on AF is still considered as economy with similar service, the only difference is the seat which is wider and a slightly longer pitch.
But where you comparison fails is price. There is not one economy fare (on TG or AF) but a myriad. It could happen that TG Y is fully booked on a specific flight BKK-CDG and that you have to pay full Y fare on TG which is cheaper than discount PE on AF on the same day/route. That is extremely unlikely but could theoretically happen (and then the TG expensive fare would earn full miles). But usually, the deep discounted Y fares on TG (or AF) are much much cheaper than AF PE. Indeed they earn very few miles on TG (if any) just like AF deep discounted fares earn few miles on AF, but the fare difference you have to pay explains it. Where you found that TG deep discounted Y fares are almost the same as AF PE fare escapes me.

NB: All airlines discount hubbing traffic. Meaning that LHR- BKK-LHR on AF is priced "cheap" by AF to attract "foreign" pax who have nonstop alternatives. Just like BA or LH discount fares on CDG-BKK-CDG. For example, LH business class is sometimes cheaper than AF PE ex-Paris. But that is comparing apples (nonstop) and oranges (one-stop).
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:07 am

Well my route is Scandinavia - Asia, so I cant say much about the TG flight that operate from CDG - LHR or FRA the big hub ... but the direct flight from CPH and ARN in Premium Economy to HKG the gap is quite difference AF 1,400Euro TG 2100Euro or TG Economy that gives miles 1,200Euro . And they are using the old 747 fig. on these route.

I dont know if u like onboard entertainment, but Thai is still using BIG SCREEN OVERHEAD. Even Thai have better food and cabin crew, but I dont think the crew will keep u company the whole 10hours flight to Bangkok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.