Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-BKK Upgrade - Y to Y+ or Y to C?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Location: MCO (Big Iron), ORL (Little Iron) formerly SFO and PAO/SFB
Programs: UA 1MM/Gold/UC, SPG PLT LTG, Marriott PLT, peon at AA, AC, BR, B6, DL, NH, and WN
LAX-BKK Upgrade - Y to Y+ or Y to C?

I'm considering a flight on TG's non-stop flight from LAX-BKK. I know that with UA, I will need to book in B/Y fare so that I can use my UAL M+ miles to upgrade.

What I'm not sure is whether I will move from Y to Y+ or Y to C. I've read on various threads that on the BKK-OSL flight (also a A345), the upgrade is from Y to Y+. U, which is the Y+ fare, is only $200 more, thus if the LAX-BKK is Y to Y+, I'll pass on wasting 50k miles for the upgrade.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Upgrade is from Y to C
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Just do it...! It's a long flight and you will enjoy TG C...

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Sep 13, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold 1MM
I purchased a B fare LAX-BKK return last month for travel in November. Immediately after booking, was able to call UA and have outbound upgrade to C processed. Had to keep checking ANA for a couple of weeks until I saw award availability in C on the return (same bucket used for 'free' award travel and upgrades)

No problems processing upgrade, 25K per leg. Called TG afterward to assign seats without issue.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, 1K, Marriott Gold
Did you purchase the B fare through TG or UA? Hoping to score a upgrade in Dec and have been keeping an eye on things with the ANA tool.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
Originally Posted by javaman47
Did you purchase the B fare through TG or UA? Hoping to score a upgrade in Dec and have been keeping an eye on things with the ANA tool.
The ticket can be purchased from TG (or any travel agents). The upgrade has to be requested by calling UA, if you are using UA miles.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Location: MCO (Big Iron), ORL (Little Iron) formerly SFO and PAO/SFB
Programs: UA 1MM/Gold/UC, SPG PLT LTG, Marriott PLT, peon at AA, AC, BR, B6, DL, NH, and WN
Originally Posted by javaman47
I would have purchased the ticket from TG, and called UA to fulfill the upgrade.

Upgrades from LAX were full +/- 5 days from my departure date, even though the return was open in C. And there is no standby upgrade, so I would have called every 24 hours to request the upgrade.

I ended up buying a W-fare ticket on UA and SWUing it. Plus, having travel credits made the fare about 60% of what I would have paid on TG + the reposition.

Last edited by JoeJSFB; Sep 25, 2010 at 3:21 pm Reason: Grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.