Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum connecting time BKK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, Vistara Platinum
Have a return leg leftover on TG F HND-BKK and I am planning to utilize it on the way to HKG. Looking at the schedule these are my connecting options:

HND - BKK
TG 683 Arr. 1505

BKK - HKG (separate ticket, hang luggage only)
TG 606 Dep. 1600
RJ 812 Dep. 1615
CX 656 Dep. 1620
CX 708 Dep. 1730
TG 602 Dep. 1830

Which one works?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Personally, I would go for CX 708
bowzer91 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chris63
Personally, I would go for CX 708
Me too - unless on a flexible ticket in which case I would be tempted to go for either the earlier TG or CX depending on alliance preference.
chris63 and bowzer91 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Would an immediate connect to HKG from TG F provide F or J lounge access if in Y? Note sure what class the separate BKK-HKG tix is going to be in...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Would an immediate connect to HKG from TG F provide F or J lounge access if in Y? Note sure what class the separate BKK-HKG tix is going to be in...
Certain the OP in 301 is going to be in J.

I would rather go to CX lounge anyway, TG F is worn out & I hate the noise from the announcers.....
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by chris63

Certain the OP in 301 is going to be in J.

I would rather go to CX lounge anyway, TG F is worn out & I hate the noise from the announcers.....
Correct, I'd be in J in either case.

CX 708 looks to be the preferred options, and the lounge is most definitely better than TG lounges.

Will TG support a 55 minute connection on separate tickets? I guess since I'm in F, they'll surely get me through. That gives me more time for proper dinner plans in HKG, only reason I'd take TG at 1600.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bowzer91

Will TG support a 55 minute connection on separate tickets? I guess since I'm in F, they'll surely get me through. That gives me more time for proper dinner plans in HKG, only reason I'd take TG at 1600.
Seperate tickets, that’s the dilemma.....

Connecting from TG F they might ...... & if you actually end up with 55 mins they should
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:32 pm

With separate tickets you don't have a connection. MCT is mute here.

If you have checked luggage and if they allow you to check thru then they would look at MCT, but not for carry on only.
Otherwise I believe you would need to go thru immigration, pick up luggage, customs, back up again and thru security and immigration.

Also you might run into a problem when you don't make it in time to check in (with luggage) or the gate. Normally airlines don't rebook you with a non-flexible ticket.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs

If you have checked luggage and if they allow you to check thru then they would look at MCT, but not for carry on only.
Otherwise I believe you would need to go thru immigration, pick up luggage, customs, back up again and thru security and immigration.

Also you might run into a problem when you don't make it in time to check in (with luggage) or the gate. Normally airlines don't rebook you with a non-flexible ticket.
Thank you for the clarifications. CX 708 it will be then!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
[Pedant hat on]
MCT is always ‘mute’ unless you are paged by airline staff!

You probably meant ‘moot’ .....
[/Pendant hat off]
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I am looking at REP-BKK-HKT in May. Before I booked my flights, I need to know logistics of connecting in BKK.

The best fare options are Bangkok Airways RT BKK-REP, then separate ticket TG (my daughter and I are both *G) or Bangkok Airways, if that's easier, BKK-HKT. So this means International arrival with checked luggage, clear Immigration and Customs, claim luggage, check in with luggage for domestic BKK-HKT.

How much time should I plan for arrival at BKK then departure?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by CIT85
I am looking at REP-BKK-HKT in May. Before I booked my flights, I need to know logistics of connecting in BKK.

The best fare options are Bangkok Airways RT BKK-REP, then separate ticket TG (my daughter and I are both *G) or Bangkok Airways, if that's easier, BKK-HKT. So this means International arrival with checked luggage, clear Immigration and Customs, claim luggage, check in with luggage for domestic BKK-HKT.

How much time should I plan for arrival at BKK then departure?
If PG in REP accepts your TG domestic ticket BKK-HKT for luggage through check-in, than 1,30 is required and enough for transiting in BKK from PG to TG
But if they don't allow you to check your luggage through to HKT, then you need to calculate much more time for international immigration clearance plus enough time to present yourself at TG's domestic check-in counters at upper level at least 1hr prior to departure.....
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:47 pm

I am considering the following award ticket (using United miles) in economy class:

TG 615, PEK to BKK, arriving at 9:15 pm
TG 329, BKK to HYD, departing at 10:10 pm

I realize that this satisfies the MCT of 55 min, but realistically how much of a chance do I have of making the connection? And what about my bags?

If I were to miss the connection, what support can I expect from TG? Can I be screwed (e.g. by being booked on a flight a couple of days out) because I am booking an award ticket and also because I don't have status?

Last edited by hyderago; Apr 23, 2019 at 4:10 pm Reason: add more info
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hyderago
I am considering the following award ticket (using United miles) in economy class:

TG 615, PEK to BKK, arriving at 9:15 pm
TG 329, BKK to HYD, departing at 10:10 pm

I realize that this satisfies the MCT of 55 min, but realistically how much of a chance do I have of making the connection? And what about my bags?

If I were to miss the connection, what support can I expect from TG? Can I be screwed (e.g. by being booked on a flight a couple of days out) because I am booking an award ticket and also because I don't have status?
This is a situation I personally would avoid if there were longer connections as options.

While THAI are pretty good in such situations, having separate tickets means you carry all of the risk in the event of missing the second flight. THAI may assist, but are under absolutely no obligation to do so.

Often on arrival at BLK, I see ground staff holding signs for those connecting with tight transit times. I have no idea if THAI would treat a UA award ticket holder any differently to a revenue ticket holder, if they agree to assist at all.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:09 am

Thank you Thai-Kiwi. To be clear, the flights I am considering are on the same ticket. So I know TG will help me out in case I miss the connection.

My only question is what is their policy like? Can I expect to be put on the next flight from BKK to HYD (on any airline and connecting through any city as needed)? Or will they put me on the next TG flight that has award availability (even if that means I am stuck in BKK for a couple of days)?

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

This is a situation I personally would avoid if there were longer connections as options.

While THAI are pretty good in such situations, having separate tickets means you carry all of the risk in the event of missing the second flight. THAI may assist, but are under absolutely no obligation to do so.

Often on arrival at BLK, I see ground staff holding signs for those connecting with tight transit times. I have no idea if THAI would treat a UA award ticket holder any differently to a revenue ticket holder, if they agree to assist at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.